R Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 10:22
Member (2004)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 21, 2004

Hi Henry & All
Could we, someday, have a Proz magazine, a monthly issue in "print paper", for translators and translation business?
something like 'Reader's Digest' for example, and where a group of translators would contribute to its articles from around the world.. perhaps at one stage in several language editions. Subscriptions and ads would cover much of costs, etc, etc..
sections,hmm, lots of sections to think of, and an annual contest maybe..

looking forward to subscribe!

cheers!
randa

[Edited at 2004-09-21 08:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
Local time: 09:22
German to English
+ ...
Objective? Sep 21, 2004

Dear Randa,

Without wanting to sound overly negative, what advantages would this have to offer which are not already covered by the site? Personally, I can't think of any which would justify such an expensive undertaking.

All the best

Ian

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Good idea but... Sep 21, 2004

Dear Randa,

It is an idea worth considering - with one exception:

Why go back to paper and snail-mail delivery??
As Ian says, it's simply to expensive.

I could see an electronic PDF magazine with structure, design, content, ads and other more long-lived info than what is hurled in and out on the Forums.

It even itches me: "ProZ.com Magazine"

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
She had meant it as an alternative Sep 21, 2004

Mats Wiman wrote:

Dear Randa,

It is an idea worth considering - with one exception:

Why go back to paper and snail-mail delivery??
As Ian says, it's simply to expensive.

I could see an electronic PDF magazine with structure, design, content, ads and other more long-lived info than what is hurled in and out on the Forums.

It even itches me: "ProZ.com Magazine"

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
Today I could read popular Magazines and News items online being a subscriber. But I can also buy these at a book shop or a kiosk. But generally the electonic publications as easier to access and are issued prior to the regular publications people buy in shops. Surely she meant it as an alternative. Of all things Readers Digest type. Ummh!
Rgds,
Brandis

R Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 10:22
Member (2004)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"ProZ" Mag Sep 21, 2004

Thank you, Ian, Mats and Brandis.
Actually, the idea is a "ProZ" Mag (not Proz.com Mag), a magazine for translators by translators (by linguists, educators, professionals, etc) and issued by Proz.com founder(s). Because of ProZ.com, a "Proz" magazine would already have an established name in the market.
Why the magazine? I see a lot of enriching factors. A printed mag would be different from the website. Exclusive printed articles, issues, studies, ads, contests, tales from the globe, interviews, academics, business issues, etc, all related to translation work and science and not appearing on the website.
How many translation magazines are available in the market? In my local and regional: none!
If Proz.com is a global website, why not a "ProZ" Mag -a global magazine! What we do on ProZ.com website we can't do off the monitor. KudoZ, Bidds and Forums are great as a spontaneous online activity, but a magazine is a different material for a different use and keeps.
It was an idea, a passion with an advantage, something like Reader's Digest, National Geographic, etc. These do have their websites and online connectivity and e-communitites, but their printed materials are by far different and have more readers than web-surfers.
It remains a personal wish/interest to flip through the pages of a "ProZ" mag issue. For the timebeing, we stick to the website, which is more than fair enough.
Thank you.

hmm! whenever i type "ProZ" it appears as ProZ.com (seems to be set by default!)

[Edited at 2004-09-22 10:45]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
e-zine Sep 21, 2004

Mats Wiman wrote:

Nice idea, Randa & Mats (except, let's save the trees). A publication "for keeps" with selected content and back-issues that won't go out of print, or won't disappear once I've solved my little computer bug.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
interesting Sep 21, 2004

Parrot wrote:

Mats Wiman wrote:

Nice idea, Randa & Mats (except, let's save the trees). A publication "for keeps" with selected content and back-issues that won't go out of print, or won't disappear once I've solved my little computer bug.
A prozine from proz, a professional translators´ (bi-weekly) journal. But if this could be sold in various languages at Kiosk or at academic institutions like Universities, the project could be financed. That would probably also fetch a few further personal contacts to the professional trade. Like you bring in an article and you sell it say 100 Units or so. Good for public relations.
Rgds,Brandis

[Edited at 2004-09-21 23:46]

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:52
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May just work May 14, 2005

It is no doubt an exciting idea, but I do grieve for the trees.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz Mag , an idea

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search