KudoZ ranking in directory - why not sort by KudoZ in pair (staff: 'done')
Thread poster: Roland Grefer
Roland Grefer
Roland Grefer
Local time: 10:43
German to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2001

Dear fellow ProZ members,

When you generate a search, the results are ranked by overall number of KudoZ points, rather than by Kudoz merits accumulated in the language combination and direction searched for.

This requires the peole running the query subsequently to determine themselves who has accumulated the most merits in the language combination and direction they are looking for.

Example: English>German / Any field

... See more
Dear fellow ProZ members,

When you generate a search, the results are ranked by overall number of KudoZ points, rather than by Kudoz merits accumulated in the language combination and direction searched for.

This requires the peole running the query subsequently to determine themselves who has accumulated the most merits in the language combination and direction they are looking for.

Example: English>German / Any field

Rank Kudoz

# Applicable Total

1 1371 4353

2 35 2615

3 467 1340

4 - 801

5 240 760

6 83 501

7 209 387

8 81 352

9 120 346

10 150 335

As you can see on this excerpt from the Platinum member results, even members with no applicable KudoZ are placed at the top, although this result would be of no particular interest to the people running the query.

Maybe it would not be too difficult to change the query algorithm to take into consideration the language pair in question. Of primary interest would be the specific direction queried, and of secondary interest the reverse.

The overall KudoZ ranking strikes me as insignificant in most cases in the context of these queries.

What do you think?

Regards,

Roland

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 09:52]
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:43
German to English
Sep 6, 2001

Excellent point and well put. Of primary concern is what a potential job offerer has to go through to find what he\'s looking for. Of course, the translator accumulating points for KudoZ does have an interest in seeing his/her work properly rewarded under the meritocracy. But if someone looking for good a French to English translator sees someone at the top of the list with 20 points in that combination and below a person with 2,000 points, he/she might not look too closely at the meaning of tho... See more
Excellent point and well put. Of primary concern is what a potential job offerer has to go through to find what he\'s looking for. Of course, the translator accumulating points for KudoZ does have an interest in seeing his/her work properly rewarded under the meritocracy. But if someone looking for good a French to English translator sees someone at the top of the list with 20 points in that combination and below a person with 2,000 points, he/she might not look too closely at the meaning of those points and direct a query to the one on top.Collapse

DrSantos
DrSantos
Local time: 15:43
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 6, 2001

PERFECT as it is now; it shows GENERAL knowledge as well as knowledge on a specific pair. No changes, please.

Roland Grefer
Roland Grefer
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 7, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-09-06 23:28, DrSantos wrote:

PERFECT as it is now; it shows GENERAL knowledge as well as knowledge on a specific pair. No changes, please.

Please help me to better understand your point of view. I am not proposing to change the overall rating system, so everybody will still keep their cumulative ratings, as well as their detailed ratings.

The \"Search for p... See more
Quote:

On 2001-09-06 23:28, DrSantos wrote:

Please help me to better understand your point of view. I am not proposing to change the overall rating system, so everybody will still keep their cumulative ratings, as well as their detailed ratings.

The \"Search for pros\" functionality, however, seems intended to provide customers with a first indication of who\'d be best qualified to do the specific job of i.e. a translation from Spanish to Italian. While the overall rating might boost the self-esteem of the \"owner\", it is pretty useless to such a customer.

Their primary interest will be who appears to be most knowledgeable in this language pair and direction. Currently they are forced to re-sort the people listed according to their applicable KudoZ (number on top), since they are sorted by total KudoZ (number at bottom).

The numbers displayed would stay the same; just that for the customers\' convenience the sorting would be done by the upper number (applicable KudoZ), rather than by the bottom number (total KudoZ).

Sorry if I\'m repeating myself. I just want to make sure everybody understands what I\'m talking about. I\'m not proposing a major revamp to the KudoZ system, but rather a tiny little change in the way those numbers are sorted. And all that for our customers\' sake.

Regards,

Roland

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:43
German to English
Sep 7, 2001

Sorry, Dr. Santos, I can\'t see why the typical customer looking for a translator in a particular language pair would be interested in how many languages a person can translate, i.e., what you call general knowledge. I would assume a customer going through the process of searching for a translator may well want to select someone at the top of the list to translate his/her document. Saludos cordiales.

Roland Grefer
Roland Grefer
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 9, 2001

Apparently the system owners/operators took the suggestion to heart and fixed what possibly had been a bug in the implementation in the first place. By now the sorting is by applicable KudoZ.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Sep 26, 2001

Yes, thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense to order by points within the specific language pair, so I have implemented that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ ranking in directory - why not sort by KudoZ in pair (staff: 'done')

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »