Thread poster: Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 29, 2014

Messed around with this Proz.com feature for the first time today, and...wow. It could use some work.

First off, something is wrong with the way personal glossaries are deleted. I accidentally had some tags in source definitions (which by the way didn't show up in the preview on the previous page), so I deleted the glossary. I got a message saying that the glossary was deleted along with all its terms...a message that appeared on the top of a page displaying the glossary and all
... See more
Messed around with this Proz.com feature for the first time today, and...wow. It could use some work.

First off, something is wrong with the way personal glossaries are deleted. I accidentally had some tags in source definitions (which by the way didn't show up in the preview on the previous page), so I deleted the glossary. I got a message saying that the glossary was deleted along with all its terms...a message that appeared on the top of a page displaying the glossary and all of its terms. The bottom of the right pane shows the glossary as still there, although containing zero entries. Clicking the name of the glossary there takes me to a page where I can supposedly search the glossary, although doing so gives no results since it has no entries (indicated by the (0) next to its name). Should glossaries with no entries even be searchable, anyway?

This "deleted" glossary did not show up in the index of user glossaries (this makes sense). But while we are here, let's talk about this index view for a moment. Why in the world is an index with 21535 entries not searchable (by glossary name)? And it only shows 35 glossaries per page, which means if you need to browse for a glossary somewhere near the middle you better have a lot of patience because it is going to take a while to click the dozens if not hundreds of times required to reach it. At least give us a pull-down menu that lets us show 100 or 200 glossaries per page.

Returning to the glossary management system, renaming glossaries is also behaving strangely. I renamed the supposedly deleted glossary (which in and of itself is nonsensical), but in the "Summary of glossaries" in the right pane it still has the original name. If, however, I click on rename again in this pane it takes me to another page where it shows the glossary as having the changed name! Also, a second glossary I just created does not show up under my "Summary of glossaries."

This system needs some serious love from the coding gurus.

[Edited at 2014-05-30 05:04 GMT]
Collapse

Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 06:31
SITE STAFF
Improvements on the way May 29, 2014

Hello Orrin,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and taking the time to submit your suggestions.

Even though some of these issues might be due to caching, the feature clearly could use some updates and improvements to make it more useful for the community. As of right now, there is a plan to release some updates on personal glossaries, however, the actual date on when these new improvements will be released has not been determined yet.

Nonetheless, o
... See more
Hello Orrin,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and taking the time to submit your suggestions.

Even though some of these issues might be due to caching, the feature clearly could use some updates and improvements to make it more useful for the community. As of right now, there is a plan to release some updates on personal glossaries, however, the actual date on when these new improvements will be released has not been determined yet.

Nonetheless, once these improvements are completed and in production, the community will be notified via the Translator Coop.

Best regards,

Patrick
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to hear May 30, 2014

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that some improvements are on the way.

I should mention that my deleted glossaries did eventually disappear...several hours later. I don't know much about caching but it seems to me that it shouldn't take that long to reflect the deletion of tiny text files. Also, some pages are reflecting the changes immediately and others are not, which tells me that all is not as it should be.

At any rate, it's not a g
... See more
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that some improvements are on the way.

I should mention that my deleted glossaries did eventually disappear...several hours later. I don't know much about caching but it seems to me that it shouldn't take that long to reflect the deletion of tiny text files. Also, some pages are reflecting the changes immediately and others are not, which tells me that all is not as it should be.

At any rate, it's not a game-breaking problem and I can certainly wait for an update to be rolled out.

Thanks again!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal glossary management system

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »