Alerting colleagues to particular Kudoz questions
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
German to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2016

An "alert" button on each Kudoz Q would be useful, to allow us to inform specific colleagues that an interesting Q is being (or has already been) discussed somewhere.

Like alerting a few friends to a sports report you think they'll find interesting.

Have I explained well enough?
Cilian

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I get the point, but... Apr 22, 2016

...I could see where some persons might not appreciate having their cell phones buzz and flash only to discover that the message in question has to do with...an alert for a Kudoz question.... icon_evil.gif

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Users would be able to enable/disable the feature Apr 22, 2016

And the alert could be in the form of a notification email from flagged colleagues. No buzzing or flashing involved.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bloody Apr 22, 2016

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

An "alert" button on each Kudoz Q would be useful, to allow us to inform specific colleagues that an interesting Q is being (or has already been) discussed somewhere.

Like alerting a few friends to a sports report you think they'll find interesting.

Cilian

That could be a bloody nuisance. Something you find interesting might not be interesting to me. Isn't it enough to just scroll through the headings? Anyway, I already receive email alerts about new questions, and the nature of the question is already included in the email. If I'm interested I click on the link and contribute to the discussion. If not, I trash the email and goodbye.

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2016-04-22 14:03 GMT]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If it's a nuisance, Apr 22, 2016

simply disable it.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My feeling too Apr 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
I already receive email alerts about new questions, and the nature of the question is already included in the email. If I'm interested I click on the link and contribute to the discussion. If not, I trash the email and goodbye.

I think it's better if we all tailor our email notifications to alert us automatically to questions that we're most able to help with. That surely means we don't need any other notifications. Otherwise we might well get one-plus-many emails about the same question. As it is, I often have to leave my involvement far too late to be of any use, so I just end up deleting the lot. There's only so much priority you can give to KudoZ questions when you're busy.

There's nothing to stop you sending a PM in exceptional cases anyway, as you knowicon_smile.gif. I've done that a couple of times when an interesting job has been badly categorised by the poster, meaning that those best qualified to do it probably won't have been informed.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thankful for small mercies Apr 22, 2016

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

....No .. flashing involved.

Well - at least I'm glad of that.

icon_smile.gif

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes but... Apr 22, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

There's nothing to stop you sending a PM in exceptional cases anyway, as you knowicon_smile.gif.

To do that, you currently have to visit each addressee's profile, click on "send message/mail", enter sth. in the subject line, copy&paste a link to the Q, and then write a few lines explaining what's on your mind.

A button would be a shortcut.

There have been a few interesting discussions recently on grammar and punctuation, and from them it is clear who is interested in this sort of thing, and might appreciate a pointer to other similar discussions. Hence this suggestion of mine.

It's not about bombarding the community with alert messages. And anyone would be able to opt in/out.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:31
English to Hindi
+ ...
Wouldn't want it Apr 22, 2016

I already receive too many messages and alerts from proz.com (and similiar other sites). I wouldn't want more junk messages from colleagues - that would break the camel's back!

As it is, proz.com sends alerts when kudoz questions are posted in my language pair, and that is enough for me. I will decide based on these, whether I would be interested in these kudoz questions.

Proddings from colleagues to interest myself in certain questions would be unwarranted intrusion into my privacy.

Further, it would be utterly selfish of my colleagues to imagine that I, like them, have time to waste on questions that they find interesting and want me to chip in to provide them an entertaining experience in kudoz.

I could do without such conceited colleagues.

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Cilian, I'm glad for you Apr 22, 2016

... that you still get enough interesting questions in your language pair to warrant this suggestionicon_smile.gif

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Tom Apr 22, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Cilian

That could be a bloody nuisance. Something you find interesting might not be interesting to me. Isn't it enough to just scroll through the headings? Anyway, I already receive email alerts about new questions, and the nature of the question is already included in the email. If I'm interested I click on the link and contribute to the discussion. If not, I trash the email and goodbye.

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2016-04-22 14:03 GMT]

We are living in the free world, so eveybody is allowed to ask (on Kudoz) what they want. If you are not interested, how hard is it to find the delete button?

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Apr 23, 2016

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Cilian

Yes, I back you. It's a good idea to receive those interesting Kudoz Q.

[Modifié le 2016-04-23 01:22 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:01
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A slightly different idea - "Good Question" button Apr 23, 2016

Several years ago, when I was a moderator (so, it was a long time ago, indeed), I remember discussing a suggestion with my fellow moderators and ProZ staff. I don't remember who made the suggestion, but I don't think it was me.

The suggestion was to have a "Good Question" button that people could click when they see a KudoZ question that is indeed a really good question, something that is professionally interesting, or particularly puzzling. I am not sure how far the discussion went, and where or how it ended, but there is no such feature in KudoZ so far.
I would imagine this button as a voting thing, similar to the "Vote Pro" button, and maybe with a minimum necessary votes for the status to change. Users could set a preference whether they want to have notifications of such "Good Questions". It is possible that even people who normally disable KudoZ notifications, would enable this one.

It could even go further, that there would be no status change on the question itself, just a simple counter of the "Good Question" votes (same as Likes on Facebook). Users would be able to set a preference to get notifications of KudoZ questions that have minimum X number of "Good question" votes, where X is set by the individual user.

Katalin

[Edited at 2016-04-23 21:02 GMT]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Lord, being misunderstood Apr 23, 2016

Probably better not to discuss this further.
Feel free to delete thread.
Cilian

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
it could be interesting. Apr 25, 2016

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

There's nothing to stop you sending a PM in exceptional cases anyway, as you knowicon_smile.gif.

To do that, you currently have to visit each addressee's profile, click on "send message/mail", enter sth. in the subject line, copy&paste a link to the Q, and then write a few lines explaining what's on your mind.

A button would be a shortcut.

There have been a few interesting discussions recently on grammar and punctuation, and from them it is clear who is interested in this sort of thing, and might appreciate a pointer to other similar discussions. Hence this suggestion of mine.

It's not about bombarding the community with alert messages. And anyone would be able to opt in/out.

it could be interesting.

I never go on Kudoz for various reasons.

I had a look a while back and saw that a translator I respect a lot for her contributions here had posted a question in one of my specialities. I was able to answer her question and send her a link to a website that gave a good explanation, that could well prove useful for any other questions she might have.

that's the sort of question I enjoy answering and if I'd had a notification I would have checked the question out.

(I probably wouldn't actually see any notifications though since the e-mail I signed up to this site with is not one I use very much)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alerting colleagues to particular Kudoz questions

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search