Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
The little car now at the top of the Proz.com page
Thread poster: Preston Decker

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
Oct 8, 2016

Does anyone else find this a bit annoying? Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
But hey Oct 8, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:

Does anyone else find this a bit annoying? Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.


I agree but hey - you can win an Apple Watch every week ! As if just having one wasn't enough!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:58
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Exactly, this is my same feeling! Oct 8, 2016

Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.


Yes, I share the same feeling! Despite that I have seen this BUG "Little car" several times now but I am always disturbed. The first two seconds I think that it is a fly or an ant or any other bug


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, same impression! Oct 8, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:

Does anyone else find this a bit annoying? Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.


Fortunately, I managed to block it immediately with Adblock Plus.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Why a car? Oct 8, 2016

Why is the symbol chosen for this prize a car? Why not ... an apple, or even a watch?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
It doesn't move Oct 8, 2016

on my computer. I had never noticed it before you mentioned it.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:58
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't even know what it's advertising Oct 8, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:

Does anyone else find this a bit annoying? Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.


I immediately notice the 'fly', 'bug', whatever; I realise it's a car going backwards and then completely ignore it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Local time: 15:58
Member (2016)
Typo Oct 8, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Why is the symbol chosen for this prize a car? Why not ... an apple, or even a watch?


Sorry, this is due to a typo. It should have been a cat.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Local time: 15:58
Member (2016)
No you dont't Oct 8, 2016

Helena Chavarria wrote:

Preston Decker wrote:

Does anyone else find this a bit annoying? Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.


I immediately notice the 'fly', 'bug', whatever; I realise it's a car going backwards and then completely ignore it.


No you don't. You just force yourself to ignore it. But a part of your brain is still aware of the car.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Prize is a car Oct 8, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Why is the symbol chosen for this prize a car? Why not ... an apple, or even a watch?


The Grand Prize is a car. But I agree with Jenny that this is not clear at all. Proz should really at least add text next to the icon (and stop it from moving) so that this is more readily apparent. Took me until today to figure out you can click on the car.

Just read through the contest rules. A piece of advice to Proz: if you're requiring the winner to come in person to pick up the prize, you might just want to change the contest so that it is open to Americans and Canadians only. There's going to be lots of bad feelings engendered if someone from somewhere else wins the car and then can't get a visa to come pick it up (or maybe you could have a cash prize for a reduced amount for winners from out of country?). Think the drawing and prize sounds like lots of fun, but this jumped out to me right away.

[Edited at 2016-10-08 17:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-08 18:34 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice prize. But is it $25,000 or $20,000? Oct 8, 2016

Official Rules & Contest Details:
The maximum value of the vehicle awarded to the Grand Prize Winner will be $20,000. If the advertised vehicle is not available at that price in the region of the Grand Prize Winner, a substitute vehicle will be awarded.

PRIZES & APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARV”):
Grand Prize: Nissan Juke 2016 model (or car of similar value)
Maximum ARV of Grand Prize: $25,000.

Preston, I wondered the same thing. Where did you see that this is only for the US and Canada?

Grand Prize Winner must take delivery of Grand Prize vehicle within thirty (30) days of notice of availability from the dealership near winner’s residence designated by Sponsor, or the Grand Prize vehicle will be forfeited.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only the US and Canada? Oct 8, 2016

You are right, Preston, it does say Nissan North America Inc. and its subsidiaries. If the grand prize cannot be claimed outside of the US and Canada, it is quite disappointing.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not just for Americans and Canadians, but... Oct 8, 2016

TranslateThis wrote:

You are right, Preston, it does say Nissan North America Inc. and its subsidiaries. If the grand prize cannot be claimed outside of the US and Canada, it is quite disappointing.


It appears to be open to anyone (not just Americans and Canadians), but if I remember correctly from the fine print, the prize must be claimed in person. I suppose it would be worth it for a European (or someone else with visa free travel to the US) to travel to the US, claim the car, and then resell it (could still make a nice 10,000+ even after taxes and travel expenses), but could prove to be a real nightmare if you're from someplace without visa free travel to the States. Thus my thought that Proz would be better off making this explicitly clear and perhaps offering a substitute prize if you're from elsewhere.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:58
English to Croatian
+ ...
Coordination. Oct 8, 2016

Preston Decker wrote:

TranslateThis wrote:

You are right, Preston, it does say Nissan North America Inc. and its subsidiaries. If the grand prize cannot be claimed outside of the US and Canada, it is quite disappointing.


It appears to be open to anyone (not just Americans and Canadians), but if I remember correctly from the fine print, the prize must be claimed in person. I suppose it would be worth it for a European (or someone else with visa free travel to the US) to travel to the US, claim the car, and then resell it (could still make a nice 10,000+ even after taxes and travel expenses), but could prove to be a real nightmare if you're from someplace without visa free travel to the States. Thus my thought that Proz would be better off making this explicitly clear and perhaps offering a substitute prize if you're from elsewhere.


I suppose they can coordinate with Nissan dealers elsewhere, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen it was restricted in that respect, perhaps I failed to read it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Member (2013)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now edited Oct 8, 2016

TranslateThis wrote:

Official Rules & Contest Details:
The maximum value of the vehicle awarded to the Grand Prize Winner will be $20,000. If the advertised vehicle is not available at that price in the region of the Grand Prize Winner, a substitute vehicle will be awarded.

PRIZES & APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARV”):
Grand Prize: Nissan Juke 2016 model (or car of similar value)
Maximum ARV of Grand Prize: $25,000.

Preston, I wondered the same thing. Where did you see that this is only for the US and Canada?

Grand Prize Winner must take delivery of Grand Prize vehicle within thirty (30) days of notice of availability from the dealership near winner’s residence designated by Sponsor, or the Grand Prize vehicle will be forfeited.



And thanks for pointing out the ambiguity in my earlier post, I've now edited it to make it clear that the contest is currently open to everyone.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The little car now at the top of the Proz.com page

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search