Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 7, 2005

I have been thinking about a question: On what basis/criteria does Proz base for its recognition of professional credentials for translation. I noticed very few Chinese translators professing they have a credential from China and still fewer say they have a Chinese credential but not verified by Proz. I myself have a professional credential for translation but since it is not on Proz list I can't get verified.

Indeed the Chinese credentials recognized by Proz are not at all availab
... See more
I have been thinking about a question: On what basis/criteria does Proz base for its recognition of professional credentials for translation. I noticed very few Chinese translators professing they have a credential from China and still fewer say they have a Chinese credential but not verified by Proz. I myself have a professional credential for translation but since it is not on Proz list I can't get verified.

Indeed the Chinese credentials recognized by Proz are not at all available to 99% of Chinese freelance translators. They are more than an official document issued by some research institutions to their members than an exam/test-based proof of translating excellence (sorry if this offends some credential holders but if opinions are different please let us know). My point is, if Proz only recognizes these credentials that are out of the reach of most Chinese translators, it is unfair for many of us who participated in Chinese National translation examinations and got a certificate of translation excellence by reputable professional organizations in this country.

Will Proz please consider adding two of the most popular nation-wide professional translation exams/tests to the list of credentials?

Thanks from me and other Chinese translators.

[Edited at 2005-04-07 21:33]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you looked at the 'Other' option in 'Credentials'? Apr 8, 2005

Where it says:
"For authorities not listed, select 'Other' above (last option),
and enter name and location: ____ "

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I can't get it verified Apr 8, 2005

Parrot wrote:

Where it says:
"For authorities not listed, select 'Other' above (last option),
and enter name and location: ____ "

Thanks Parrot, I know this and I entered mine a long time ago. But I can't get it verified as other people do with their recognized credentials, right?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
It was possible for non-platinums Apr 8, 2005

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Thanks Parrot, I know this and I entered mine a long time ago. But I can't get it verified as other people do with their recognized credentials, right?

to get credentials verified for a minimum fee, but the price isn't up anymore: http://www.proz.com/faq/credentials#credential_verified

Maybe Support Request would know. Why don't you ask them?

Platinums get the service free, but I remember your forex problem...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recognition of more Chinese credentials

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »