Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 26, 2005

It would be nice if we could chose more than one target language for searches of the Proz glossary.

Once in a while I find myself looking for a term where it would be helpful to get any kind of information, not matter in what language.
E.g., I'm looking for a term in language A and an answer in either language B or language C would be helpful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
I would like this option, and would like to propose another May 26, 2005

I would also like to be able to find an expression in language A, whether source or target, regardless of what the opposite (target or source) language might be.

Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Fuad means... May 27, 2005

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Fuad. Is it that you'd like to be able to do an undiscriminating search of the glossaries? (As one does when using Google, etc.). Just entering the expression and see what comes up...

[Edited at 2005-05-27 04:05]

Arabic
+ ...
I mean... May 27, 2005

Momoka wrote:

Is it that you'd like to be able to do an undiscriminating search of the glossaries? (As one does when using Google, etc.).

I am not sure if "undiscriminating" is the right adjective. I would call it a monolingual search. It does not mean that the term I am searching for was posted as a monolingual question. I mean that one of the two languages of the pair is defined, but the other language is not. The other language is what they call in the search industry a "wild-card."

For example, I may be looking for the word "saeculorum" in Latin. The postings that my search would yield would be all postings of this term involving Latin and any other language. I don't know beforehand whether the term was posted under Latin-English, Latin-German, Latin-Spanish, or Latin-Latin, but I will find out when the search results come out.

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:58
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Isn't this already possible? May 27, 2005

Hi all,

Can't this be achieved by leaving one (or both) of the Language fields blank?

Mike

[Edited at 2005-05-27 07:35]

Arabic
+ ...
It does not work May 27, 2005

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

I have tried it and it failed.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, it is possible May 27, 2005

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Hi all,

Mike

I do that quite often.
If you leave the target language blank, you get all the glossary entries for the source term, regardless of the target language.

Arabic
+ ...
Let us double-verify May 27, 2005

Nesrin wrote:

I do that quite often.
If you leave the target language blank, you get all the glossary entries for the source term, regardless of the target language.

Can you give us an example?

I have tried the word "cover" under English with no target language specified.

If "bidirectional search" is checked, I get the results for one language pair only, Arabic-to-English (the system must somehow know my declared language pairs).

If "bidirectional search" is unchecked, I get no results at all.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
We're talking about two different things May 27, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:
If "bidirectional search" is checked, I get the results for one language pair only, Arabic-to-English (the system must somehow know my declared language pairs).

If "bidirectional search" is unchecked, I get no results at all.

Hi Fuad -

I just checked - you're talking about the "Kudoz glossaries", I'm talking about the "Search glossaries" function. You're right, it doesn't work under "Kudoz glossaries" but it does under "Search glossaries".

HTH

Timothy Barton
Local time: 08:58
French to English
+ ...
As Mikhail said May 27, 2005

Just don't enter any languages. I do it very often. Sometimes I'll be searching for something from Spanish to English and will find it in Portuguese to English. And because it's often only the siffixes that change between languages, I'll often search for only part of the word (i.e. if you enter "disponib" rather than "disponibilidad", then you'll pick up nouns and adjectives in French, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese etc....).

Arabic
+ ...
You are right May 27, 2005

Nesrin wrote:

it doesn't work under "Kudoz glossaries" but it does under "Search glossaries".

HTH

This brings up a few questions:

1. Since "search glossaries" includes KudoZ questions, why do we have a separate KudoZ Search?

2. Why don't we have the filtering options of KudoZ Search in Search Glossaries? The filters are very useful:

Include unedited questions
Closed questions only
Whole words only
Case sensitive search
Minimal match value (percent)
Bidirectional search

3. If for some reason KudoZ Search has to exist under a separate menu item, then the wild card option found in Search Glossaries should be added to KudoZ Search.

In other words, I don't see why the best of the two worlds can't be consolidated.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Using Google May 27, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:
I would also like to be able to find an expression in language A, whether source or target, regardless of what the opposite (target or source) language might be.

This can be done using a Google search. I have found it more effective than any search provided on-site. The following search string should work:

kudoz "your expression" site:proz.com

If you want to focus the search using additional keywords (either words related to the expression, or names of languages), be sure to place them before the expression in quotes.

Arabic
+ ...
The search string is very useful, but the results are somewhat different May 27, 2005

GoodWords wrote:

The following search string should work:

kudoz "your expression" site:proz.com

I will keep this search string. It is very useful. It will yield KudoZ results, but not necessarily as headwords. This kind of search can be useful if you want to look up any question where a particular word string was used, whether as a headword, as a translation suggestion, as context for the question, as explanation for the answer, as a comment, or as a response to a comment.

The only drawback is that I see no way to narrow the search on Google to get only question terms and answer terms.

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:58
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
I never specify a target language May 27, 2005

Nesrin wrote:

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Hi all,

Mike

I do that quite often.

I never specify a target language and very seldomly a source language.
If you specify neither a source nor a target language, you get all the glossary entries for the source term.
Say I search a term EN-DU. With no languages specified I find also a possible glossary entry and / or Kudoz question DU-EN for that term or EN-SP with appropriate information in English.

Another helpful site for me is Leo:
http://dict.leo.org/pages.ende/abbrev_en.html?lang=de
With Proz and Leo, I can find answers to all my questions. Well ... nearly all my questions.

[Edited at 2005-07-14 03:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search glossary for answers in more than one language

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search