Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 28, 2019

Hello

Since the "like" feature was introduced, it has happened quite a lot that people edit their posts after others have "liked" their posts, often changing what they said in those posts, but the "likes" remain, as if those who "liked" the post still "likes" what is currently written.

I suggest that whenever anyone edits his/her post, all likes for that post are deleted and reset to zero. After all, the purpose of "likes" is not to say "I saw this post and I like the
... See more
Hello

Since the "like" feature was introduced, it has happened quite a lot that people edit their posts after others have "liked" their posts, often changing what they said in those posts, but the "likes" remain, as if those who "liked" the post still "likes" what is currently written.

I suggest that whenever anyone edits his/her post, all likes for that post are deleted and reset to zero. After all, the purpose of "likes" is not to say "I saw this post and I like the person who wrote it" but to say "I agree with what the person wrote".

Samuel
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Andrew Morris
Josephine Cassar
Tanja Oresnik
B D Finch

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
French to English
Good idea Apr 28, 2019

Or at least notify the people who have pressed the Agree button that the post has been edited, so that they can go and see if they still agree with it.

Thomas T. Frost
Andrew Morris
Erwin van Wouw
Christel Zipfel
Ahmed Abdel-Aziz
B D Finch
MollyRose

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
a piece of cake Apr 28, 2019

Samuel, how about waiting at least 24 hours before "agreeing", like in KudoZ? Simple.

Meanwhile, the "Agree" feature is rather vague, let alone in the same post there may be several points, including not agreeable.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:48
Danish to English
+ ...
Middle way Apr 28, 2019

Deleting all likes because a typo is corrected would seem a bit over the top.

On the other hand, if a post is changed radically, others may no longer agree.

Advanced software could probably detect if a change is minor, but the resources needed to implement this don't seem to be justified.

A notification, as suggested by Elizabeth, seems to solve the problem.

In fact, a notification when someone changes a post in a forum one follows would be we
... See more
Deleting all likes because a typo is corrected would seem a bit over the top.

On the other hand, if a post is changed radically, others may no longer agree.

Advanced software could probably detect if a change is minor, but the resources needed to implement this don't seem to be justified.

A notification, as suggested by Elizabeth, seems to solve the problem.

In fact, a notification when someone changes a post in a forum one follows would be welcome in all cases. Those who follow forums by emails will only know if important new information is added if they stumble upon it in the forum by accident. And by the way, the old, last-century, text-only format in the email updates does not allow the post to be displayed correctly in any email application. This is an almost daily nuisance, but instead of fixing such basic issues, Proz are spending resources on Facebook chatter. It can’t be that complicated to email the html version.
Collapse

Andrew Morris
Yoana Ivanova
Michele Fauble
MollyRose

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
A complete non-issue Apr 28, 2019

Personally, when I edit my posts, it is almost always for one of the following reasons:
To correct an error, or eliminate some awkwardness or infelicity that I hadn’t previously noticed.
To add a phrase - or maybe a couple of sentences - to reinforce a point that I had made.

I think that this what many others do as well. Such practices do not “invalidate” previous agrees.

And notification e-mails whenever someone edits a post that I
... See more
Personally, when I edit my posts, it is almost always for one of the following reasons:
To correct an error, or eliminate some awkwardness or infelicity that I hadn’t previously noticed.
To add a phrase - or maybe a couple of sentences - to reinforce a point that I had made.

I think that this what many others do as well. Such practices do not “invalidate” previous agrees.

And notification e-mails whenever someone edits a post that I have agreed with? No thank you!

If anyone wants to delete their “agree” with a given post, they can always do so - whether a post has been edited or not (and, as far as I can see, in perpetuity).

[Edited at 2019-04-28 11:54 GMT]
Collapse

Andrew Morris

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas, @Elizabeth, @Robert, @Katalin Apr 28, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
In fact, a notification when someone changes a post in a forum one follows would be welcome in all cases.

I agree that there can be more options for notifications, which people would have to choose to subscribe to or not. For example, I would very much like to receive notifications of replies in any thread where I have posted something, but ProZ.com doesn't currently offer that option. And getting notified if someone edits their post would be nice as well, though preferably along with the option for people to tick a box "this is a minor edit" when they edit their posts, so that edits for the sake of typos don't generate notifications.

However, the odds of extra notifications being implemented are not favourable. The "likes" feature is sufficiently new (and was implemented by a current developer) that it may still be improved.

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
Or at least notify the people who have pressed the Agree button that the post has been edited, so that they can go and see if they still agree with it.

I'm inclined to agree that it is not unrealistic to assume that clicking the Agree button is a tacit approval to be "subscribed" to all further edits of that specific post.

Robert Forstag wrote:
Personally, when I edit my posts, it is almost always for one of the following reasons...

My suggestion is not for the sake of the person whose post is "liked", but for the sake of other readers in the thread (who use the "likes" as a way to gauge trends of opinions), as well as for people who "like" posts.

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Since English is not my native-language, just as other non-English native speakers, I often correct my mistakes in my posts only after a while.

I also correct my posts for typing errors mostly after I've already posted the post. However, I don't wait a long time before re-reading my post to see if what I've written is what I had intended to write.

I would like to believe that most of the time when people edit their posts for fixing typos, it would be soon after they've posted it, and this means that it would be unlikely that they had amassed very many "likes" to lose.

[Edited at 2019-04-28 16:36 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I disagree Apr 28, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello

I suggest that whenever anyone edits his/her post, all likes for that post are deleted and reset to zero. After all, the purpose of "likes" is not to say "I saw this post and I like the person who wrote it" but to say "I agree with what the person wrote".

Samuel

Since English is not my native-language, just as other non-English native speakers, I often correct my mistakes in my posts only after a while. When I read through my posts more times, or when I figure out later that in English I should express something differently than in Hungarian. And as many language pairs we have here, so we think differently when it comes to writing in English. This includes proverbs, sayings, and other cultural backgrounds. For example in one of the posts I read somewhere "Storm in the water glass". I would have definitely written that as "Storm in the potty" because in Hungarian we use this version of that saying. So sometimes such post editings are not just about editing typos or grammar mistakes, but expressing ourselves more clearly for everybody.

Maybe using optional notification emails could solve this problem, but these should be sent only when the content is changed. Not due to correcting typos or mistakes.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Already exists. Apr 28, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

For example, I would very much like to receive notifications of replies in any thread where I have posted something, but ProZ.com doesn't currently offer that option.

There is the "track this thread" feature which when activated will notify you of replies to a thread.
(If that's what you meant)

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
thanks Apr 28, 2019

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

For example, I would very much like to receive notifications of replies in any thread where I have posted something, but ProZ.com doesn't currently offer that option.

There is the "track this thread" feature which when activated will notify you of replies to a thread.
(If that's what you meant)

thanks for that tip, I didn't know about that feature. However there are loads of forums where you can see at a glance that somebody has added to a thread that you have previously either read or contributed to without having to do anything at all apart from log in and look.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: track this thread Apr 28, 2019

Andy Watkinson wrote:

It's not automatic, but it is sufficient, thanks! For those who don't know this feature:
1. First, scroll all the way to the top of the page.
2. Then scroll down one screen.
3. Then look to the right of the screen:

track topic

Ahmed Abdel-Aziz

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Time of posts Apr 28, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
In fact, a notification when someone changes a post in a forum one follows would be welcome in all cases.

I agree that there can be more options for notifications, which people would have to choose to subscribe to or not. For example, I would very much like to receive notifications of replies in any thread where I have posted something, but ProZ.com doesn't currently offer that option. And getting notified if someone edits their post would be nice as well, though preferably along with the option for people to tick a box "this is a minor edit" when they edit their posts, so that edits for the sake of typos don't generate notifications.

However, the odds of extra notifications being implemented are not favourable. The "likes" feature is sufficiently new (and was implemented by a current developer) that it may still be improved.

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I'm inclined to agree that it is not unrealistic to assume that clicking the Agree button is a tacit approval to be "subscribed" to all further edits of that specific post.

Robert Forstag wrote:
Personally, when I edit my posts, it is almost always for one of the following reasons...

My suggestion is not for the sake of the person whose post is "liked", but for the sake of other readers in the thread (who use the "likes" as a way to gauge trends of opinions), as well as for people who "like" posts.

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Since English is not my native-language, just as other non-English native speakers, I often correct my mistakes in my posts only after a while.

I also correct my posts for typing errors mostly after I've already posted the post. However, I don't wait a long time before re-reading my post to see if what I've written is what I had intended to write.

I would like to believe that most of the time when people edit their posts for fixing typos, it would be soon after they've posted it, and this means that it would be unlikely that they had amassed very many "likes" to lose.

[Edited at 2019-04-28 16:36 GMT]

Samuel, how were you able to quote my post?
I wrote my post before you. I wrote it at 15:17 and you answered my post at 15:08...
Is this bug? Are the posts put according to the last editing? This is new to me.

[Edited at 2019-04-28 17:55 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Katalin Apr 28, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Samuel, how were you able to quote my post?

It's the magic of post editing (no, the OTHER kind of "post" editing). Sometimes the sequence of posts matter. In this case it didn't, so instead of creating a new reply, I simply added it to a previous post. I knew I did this when I did this. ;-p

Are the posts put according to the last editing?

The order of posts do sometimes change somewhat, for reasons unknown to me. It has happened to me at least a few times that a certain post was *after* mine for a while, and then moved to *before* mine a little later. It doesn't happen often, though. I suspect that editing a post can sometimes affect the post's position, but it usually does not.

[Edited at 2019-04-28 18:34 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There was already a discussion about this - see older thread Apr 28, 2019

We had a long discussion about this issue right after the "Agree" option was introduced:
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/327253-limit_the_ability_to_edit_forum_posts_after_"agrees".html

If you click on this link it will NOT take you to the thread - it seems the quotation marks will cause the las
... See more
We had a long discussion about this issue right after the "Agree" option was introduced:
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/327253-limit_the_ability_to_edit_forum_posts_after_"agrees".html

If you click on this link it will NOT take you to the thread - it seems the quotation marks will cause the last part of the URL to get cut off.
I edited this post a bazillion times just to try to get different versions of the URL to work - failed.
If you copy the entire URL into the browser, it will bring up the thread.

Or, follow Samuel's suggestion and click on this:
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/327253.html

[Edited at 2019-04-28 20:21 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to fix the link Apr 28, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
I am having a hard time posting the link - I am not sure why, but it doesn't work.

Links to ProZ.com threads can be made either with or without the subject line. In some cases, the subject line contains characters that "break" the link in some browsers. In such cases, trim the URL to just the thread number. In fact, when posting links to threads, trimming to just the thread number shortens the URL to such a degree that it's always a good idea to do so.

So, change this:
to this:
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/327253.html

Adam Warren

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
another suggestion Apr 29, 2019

why not make it possible to edit only until the post gets liked or quoted?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete all likes when a post gets edited

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »