https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/34790-is_there_a_way_to_track_the_number_of_times_that_glossary_entries_are_viewed.html

Is there a way to track the number of times that glossary entries are viewed?
Thread poster: Gina W
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 14:13
Member (2003)
French to English
Jul 17, 2005

Or a way to give a person "credit" of some sort, when say I've found a term I was looking for in someone's glossary. I would like to be able to acknowledge that to the person who took the time to enter the terms, but there is no function equivalent to this.

I'm not sure how such a funtion would work, but I was wondering if first, there is a counter regarding how many times a certain term is viewed - obviously that term is not actually going to be used every time, but OTOH, if I've
... See more
Or a way to give a person "credit" of some sort, when say I've found a term I was looking for in someone's glossary. I would like to be able to acknowledge that to the person who took the time to enter the terms, but there is no function equivalent to this.

I'm not sure how such a funtion would work, but I was wondering if first, there is a counter regarding how many times a certain term is viewed - obviously that term is not actually going to be used every time, but OTOH, if I've entered a term that I myself had a hard time finding, and that's why I've entered it, I would like to know how many hits that term gets, because I want to know if it's helpful to others. At the same time and kind of related, I would like a way, like I said, to acknowledge to a member that I've found the translation I was looking for, thanks to that particular member's glossary entry. There have been cases where I could not find the term in paper dictionaries, Termium, GDT, Google searches, etc, etc, but I come here and search the glossaries and voila. But aside from emailing the person to send a personal thank you, there's no way for me to communicate this to the member.

Anyone else feel the way I do? Maybe we could have a field to enter comments, or an option to signal that you've used someone's glossary entry? The glossary entries are just as valuable as or sometimes more valuable than KudoZ answers, and of course the points are not comparable (right? or are they?).

Any other comments to this? The only other thing I have to say is that I would not want this to ever turn into a way to "slam" someone's entry, only to THANK or ACKNOWLEDGE IN A POSITIVE way, having used someone's glossary entry.

I hope you think this is a worthwhile suggestion to consider. Thanks.

[Edited out two typos.]

[Edited at 2005-07-17 22:53]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
thank them personally by email Jul 18, 2005

am sure such mails will be received with pleasure.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 14:13
Member (2003)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I was thinking of a function within the site Jul 19, 2005

Yes, I realize that positive emails are much appreciated but I was thinking of a capability within the site to 1) count the number of hits on glossary entries and 2) make some sort of notation on the person's glossary to indicated that I used that term - this would be as a courtesy but if there were something I could check off or click that would be so much easier than having to email people every single time, which most of us don't have time to do every single time, or even some of the time, I... See more
Yes, I realize that positive emails are much appreciated but I was thinking of a capability within the site to 1) count the number of hits on glossary entries and 2) make some sort of notation on the person's glossary to indicated that I used that term - this would be as a courtesy but if there were something I could check off or click that would be so much easier than having to email people every single time, which most of us don't have time to do every single time, or even some of the time, I'd imagine. But thanks.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to track the number of times that glossary entries are viewed?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »