Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:13
Member (2004)
English to French
Aug 14, 2005

Hi,
I think the availability indicator is a good idea (although some agencies still write to me to ask if I am available even when the light is red...). Could we have a similar option for vacation?

Ex., it could say: this translator is not available from this date to this date, or this translator is not available and will resume his/her activities on this date.

I will be on vacation from tomorrow until the beginning of October. I don't want to readjust my availabi
... See more
Hi,
I think the availability indicator is a good idea (although some agencies still write to me to ask if I am available even when the light is red...). Could we have a similar option for vacation?

Ex., it could say: this translator is not available from this date to this date, or this translator is not available and will resume his/her activities on this date.

I will be on vacation from tomorrow until the beginning of October. I don't want to readjust my availability status each week.
A kind of "Proz out the office" notice would be a good idea.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree! It would be a great idea. Aug 14, 2005

I was thinking how to indicate my vacation time when I go by the end of August and would welcome something like this.

Lucinda

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How about an amber light? Aug 14, 2005

It often happens that while not free to undertake a big job, I could fit in a two-or-three-page one. Would it be a good idea to indicate this situation with an amber light?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Contact Translator Aug 14, 2005

Since our situation as freelance translators can change not only day by day but by the hour or even the minute, I think the feature on availability is not too useful.

Clients in general need to know that they need to contact the translator personally and determine the person's availability at any given moment. Not only that, but they need to know that we cannot be giving any assurances of our availability until they have sent us a job, we have seen and accepted it and they have auth
... See more
Since our situation as freelance translators can change not only day by day but by the hour or even the minute, I think the feature on availability is not too useful.

Clients in general need to know that they need to contact the translator personally and determine the person's availability at any given moment. Not only that, but they need to know that we cannot be giving any assurances of our availability until they have sent us a job, we have seen and accepted it and they have authorized it. Then, and only then, does it get prioritized.

My clients know that, they will often call or send an e-mail and ask, they know I work alone and I never keep that a secret.
Collapse

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
It's possible to leave a message in 'Profile Mail' Aug 14, 2005

If you go to your Profile and click on 'Profile Mail', you'll see that you can enter a note for anyone trying to contact you through your profile.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Different situation Aug 14, 2005

I give my situation as an example:
I work in-house full-time and take freelance jobs when I need extra money. I'm not taking any new job till October, so the option of not being available for a lenghty period would be useful. Even if a potential client writes to me, altough my indicator is red, I might not answer to his/her email, as I normally would if I'm not available because I'm already busy with another project. In this case, my project is "vacation" and if I don't answer, it's not be
... See more
I give my situation as an example:
I work in-house full-time and take freelance jobs when I need extra money. I'm not taking any new job till October, so the option of not being available for a lenghty period would be useful. Even if a potential client writes to me, altough my indicator is red, I might not answer to his/her email, as I normally would if I'm not available because I'm already busy with another project. In this case, my project is "vacation" and if I don't answer, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I am not there to answer. There's no use in contacting me, because they will get no reply. My usual clients know that, but new clients might be offended if I don't answer.
I guess I could program an out of office for my email, but then everybody who writes to me would get it.
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 14, 2005

cmwilliams wrote:

If you go to your Profile and click on 'Profile Mail', you'll see that you can enter a note for anyone trying to contact you through your profile.

I didn't know about that feature. I just wrote a message.
Thanks,
Nina

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Put a note in your profile Aug 15, 2005

It might even be worth your while to write a note at the top of your Proz profile saying that you are going to be away (along with the Proz mail "Out of Office" message. That is what I am going to do when I take my hols next month.
I find prospective customers are not paying much attention to the red & green light system unfortunately.

Órla

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:13
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It works - sort of... Aug 15, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

It might even be worth your while to write a note at the top of your Proz profile saying that you are going to be away (along with the Proz mail "Out of Office" message. That is what I am going to do when I take my hols next month.
I find prospective customers are not paying much attention to the red & green light system unfortunately.

Órla

I wrote a big red message in my profile that I was not available for jobs while on holiday, and still got a couple of mails saying 'I've seen your message, but just hoped...'

Still, I don't know how many people decided to look elsewhere as a result. I used to miss the 'out of office' function before.

It's good to see that people are taking notice and using Proz.com anyway.
Enjoy your holidays, folks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Out of office

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »