Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oops... Sep 4, 2005

Aurora Humarán wrote:

our site

Au

Lapsus teclae!!!

Sorry, Henry, I should have said your site. Another bouquet goes to Syracuse with my apologies.

(Proz.com IS ours, who can deny this?)

Luis Zepeda
Luis Zepeda
United States
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
If I were "Henry".... Sep 4, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

perhaps there are defects and abuses on the site but I think the freedom more than makes up for it.

If I were to err, then it would be on the side of freedom.

But that's just one Henry's opinion.

"Being a member for only a few months", as someone else already wrote, I have seen some abuses, but as Henry stated, "the defect and abuses are more than made up for the freedom given"

In the same token, I would like to say that I may disagree with what you say but as a member of the site I will defend your right to say it. That is the reason we were given the freedom to express ourselves on this site. It does not have seniority rights, or more rights for those with the longest tenure, even though the saying "más sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo" could be applied here.
I enjoy answering kudoz questions even if I have not asked any myself. I also find that in comparison with other translator sites, this is the richest in resources. I for one, consider my platinum membership fee, well invested, and my particicpation rewarding.

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 17:30
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
If I were an agency... Sep 5, 2005

Yes, 'if I were an agency'. Then, I would do my best to limit freelancers and start with 'non-paying' members. Later on, I would pass to 'paying' i.e. Platinum members. So, I hope, I would get more orders.
Sincerely,
'Agency'

Frédéric Bégon
Frédéric Bégon
France
Local time: 15:30
English to French
+ ...
When the money makes the rule Sep 5, 2005

To establish financial frontiers to the use of Proz-facilities ? One should ask whether we shall get richer of poorer after this decision would be taken !
Proz would not have enough money to live ?
For example : when you are looking for a translator the way firstly Proz Platinium are presented and secondly non-paying members is very elegant and shows that Proz interests itself to every category of participants.
It is a must ...

Sincerely yours, Frederic.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 09:30
English to German
+ ...
Henry and the ProZ.com staff does deserve more respect. Sep 5, 2005

Hello,

I really find some of the posting very disrespectful. But those individuals are shooting in their own leg. Because everybody reads their posting and I believe that there are more people with manners than without.

It is none of our business to criticise in such manner, especially that the rules of the sites are already there and you are allowed to withdraw from your membership (after 30 days I believe) in case you are not happy.

ProZ.com is permanent
... See more
Hello,

I really find some of the posting very disrespectful. But those individuals are shooting in their own leg. Because everybody reads their posting and I believe that there are more people with manners than without.

It is none of our business to criticise in such manner, especially that the rules of the sites are already there and you are allowed to withdraw from your membership (after 30 days I believe) in case you are not happy.

ProZ.com is permanently updating this site and I have not seen any better translators portal than this.

Or why else does ProZ.com have so many members.

By paying my last membership fee I have to say I was not forced to do so. It was my free will. I dont want to state that we can not make any suggestions, but especially as a translator you should know that the tone of words is what makes the music.

[Edited at 2005-09-05 14:32]
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:30
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
If we were Henry we would remain ourselves ;-) Sep 5, 2005

This is the conclusions which I came to after following the thread. We still pursue our own interests when proposing further improvements or critisizing the latest changes.

The problems is that Henry's thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways Henry's ways. Not that I think that Henry and Co are smarter or anyhow superior that many other proZians, mind you! I'm far from such idolatry. I'm not afraid of some `proZ creator' or other deities throwing lightning arrows at me
... See more
This is the conclusions which I came to after following the thread. We still pursue our own interests when proposing further improvements or critisizing the latest changes.

The problems is that Henry's thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways Henry's ways. Not that I think that Henry and Co are smarter or anyhow superior that many other proZians, mind you! I'm far from such idolatry. I'm not afraid of some `proZ creator' or other deities throwing lightning arrows at me whenever I behave wrong.

I just mean that I think that Henry and maybe some other people have chosen to switch from their freelancer careers to another path, and they expect that the shift will cover their expenses and efforts, so they have to think about many things which we may miss entirely even pretending to be Henry or anyone else.

Me personally, I don't think what I would do were I Henry. I have enough problems to think over and more than enough food for thought just being myself. What I really can is to make proposals as how to improve the site for all and for me in particular - not forgetting, that mine thoughts are not your thoughts neither are your ways mine ways.

[Edited at 2005-09-05 18:28]
Collapse

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 17:30
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Did I said the Proz Team? Sep 5, 2005

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

Hello,

ProZ.com is permanently updating this site and I have not seen any better translators portal than this.

By paying my last membership fee I have to say I was not forced to do so. It was my free will. I dont want to state that we can not make any suggestions, but especially as a translator you should know that the tone of words is what makes the music.

Dear Andrea,
Saying 'an agency' I mean 'an agency'. If I need say 'the Proz Team', I would say 'the Proz Team'.
Sincerely,
Levan

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:30
Flemish to English
+ ...
Agency? Sep 5, 2005

3- Those profiles with more than 10 language pairs had to be flagged "Multilanguage profile/agency" all over the proz.com (e.g. Kudoz)
---
Flemish and Dutch are the same language, but Proz and the rest of the world prefer to make a distinction.
My source-languages are English,French,German,Spanish into Dutch and Flemish. That makes a combination of 8 language pairs.

Should I "sin" against the mother-tongue only rule, which I most certainly intend to do (how else
... See more
3- Those profiles with more than 10 language pairs had to be flagged "Multilanguage profile/agency" all over the proz.com (e.g. Kudoz)
---
Flemish and Dutch are the same language, but Proz and the rest of the world prefer to make a distinction.
My source-languages are English,French,German,Spanish into Dutch and Flemish. That makes a combination of 8 language pairs.

Should I "sin" against the mother-tongue only rule, which I most certainly intend to do (how else can I continuously improve the level of some of those languages?),then I will be flagged as an agency?

[Edited at 2005-09-05 19:35]
Collapse

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multi-language profile /agency Sep 6, 2005

Williamson wrote:

---

Should I "sin" against the mother-tongue only rule, which I most certainly intend to do (how else can I continuously improve the level of some of those languages?),then I will be flagged as an agency?

[Edited at 2005-09-05 19:35]

" / " means 'or'.

You can have a Multi-language profile/ be a Multi-lingual member then and not an agency. In such cases, you have to be flagged as an advanced linguist who knows many languages (not only 2 or 3 for example) quite well, so his ideas and comparison of those languages in some cases in Kudoz can be read with more attention by other members.

There are some profiles with more than X number of languages (too many pairs, no specific number) without indicating any mother tongue or what country they are located in. They answer Kudoz questions in all these languages and no one knows if a question is answered by a person like you, or by an agency in an unknown location which finds answers in all languages by getting help from dictionaries just to get more Kudoz points to appear on the top of the listings.

About Flemish and Dutch: I'm a sinner too as Proz.com has both "Persian" and "Farsi" used for the same language!

[Edited at 2005-09-08 09:34]

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They DO deserve more respect Sep 6, 2005

Andrea Di Marco wrote:

I agree with Andrea that Henry and the site staff DO deserve the utmost respect. But I have to say people don't "shoot in their own leg". I always thought they "shoot their own foot", but maybe she meant something else or it's just another way the phrase is said.

As sometimes people use the words differently, they assume the meaning of them differently as well. There are always ways to improve and the site staff must know what members can suggest. It's sad to know that some think there is nothing else that can be done or changed to improve proz.com. That's not what site staff believe as they are constantly changing the features and improving them and Henry is asking for suggestions...

There might be some postings which are not what I like or maybe site staff like (or Andrea likes), but this thread was created for CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS to improve proz.com. and to criticize/ to threaten those who criticize others is against that "manners" mentioned in Andrea's posting. Obviously proz.com is not a dictatorship.

As wisely said, "as translators we must all know that the tone of the word is what makes the music". Let's make good music worthy of listening to...

[Edited at 2005-09-06 08:58]

Orestes Robledo
Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sep 6, 2005

I think this is a wonderful site as it is, and what makes it so popular and helpful is its open doors policy.

My "kudos" to those who created, improved, and maintain ProZ, but please leave it as is and don't turn an inclusive website into a restricted forum for a paying elite.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Good thread! Sep 6, 2005

I must say that selfishly, I like the idea of an "if I were Henry" thread very much. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll post some feedback...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Responses to Lingo Pros Sep 6, 2005

Lingo Pros wrote:

If I were Henry:

1- Only Platinum members could post questions and answers in Kudoz section. The non-Platinum members could only READ the Kudoz section and agree/disagree with given answers. Non members could only read the Kudoz!

Too restrictive, I think; we would all lose out from the lost exchanges. The new options to subscribe to questions only from platinum askers, or to express a preference for platinum answerers, provides a means to create/experiment with a restricted environment. Please give these a try.

2- Only the ID verified could post job ads.

In my view, it is the job of ProZ.com's staff to provide platinum members with opportunities to meet clients. It is up to members to qualify / assess risk using whatever methods they deem appropriate, using ProZ.com tools (such as the Blue Board) if desired. If I impose my own set of restrictions, I will be interfering with those of members.

This is a novel idea. Multilanguage profiles are a problem and we will do something.

4- ALL individual members HAD TO indicate at least one language as native language. Agencies had to indicate the dominant official language/s of the country/region the agency was located in AND the native language of the owner/s or partners.

I don't like this as a mandate. There are strong reasons to provide this information voluntarily, but there are also reasons a person might want to withhold this information.

5- The location of each member (country) had to be mentioned in all profiles. No location, no profile!

Same response as for suggestion 4.

Thanks for a nice thread!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Responses to Fuad Sep 6, 2005

Fuad Yahya wrote:

...(Summarizing? Who is kidding?)...

- I would make a clear distinction between members and visitors. Visitors can visit all the pages and look up all information without restriction, in the true spirit of ProZ.com hospitality, any time they wish. But visitors are not members. They should not be enabled to use the functions of posting questions, answers, agree votes, comments, forum contributions, job postings, job bids, or Blue Board entries. These should be for registered members only (not just Platinum members, but all members). In practical terms, this would reduce the number of allowed daily questions for non-registered users from one to zero. I would then allow non-paying members to post one question a day (not five). For paying members, I would allow 5, 10, and 15 questions per day for silver, gold, and platinum ($40, $80, and $120 per year). I would make contributions to the site and the community cover part of the annual dues for any of the three levels.
- I would institute a minimal sign-up fee for any new member (say, $20, paid a once in a lifetime). This should not be confused with any annual dues. A sign-up fee would help keep out frivolous or sham memberships and significantly help cut down multiple profiles. For those who are signing up as paying members at any of the three levels, the sign-up fee would be waived. I would grandfather all existing members, of course. If you are in, you are in, tautology notwithstanding.

The combination of low-cost membership and a clearer distinction between paying and non-paying members is not to be discarded, but a precondition is being able to collect the small fees in a practical manner. When a payment service surfaces that collected $20 payments in all countries, in local currency and with low fees, it will be time to give serious consideration to this approach.

- If a visitor attempts to post a question on KudoZ, the visitor would be automatically directed to a sister site, nonProZ.com, where anybody can post any number of questions they wish. On this sister site, there would be no restrictions on the number of questions, no fees, no dues, no KudoZ points, no agrees or disagrees -- just questions and answers. Only the rules of propriety would apply.

This was a very good idea and is on our todos.

- I would make every question posted on KudoZ trigger a ProZ.com term search first. This would help cut down the number of repeat questions.

This was released a few weeks ago. A search is done with every question.

Thanks, Fuad!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Frédéric Sep 6, 2005

Frédéric Bégon wrote:

I begin to discover the commercial politics of another market-place for translators :
This Web-Site has got a good means to present each translators, it is different from Proz and can bring new customers to every translator. One day this other market-place decided to establish financial frontiers to the use of his facilities. One should ask it whether it gets richer of armer after this decision was taken !
Proz would not have enough money to live ? Translators are not so well paid as engineers, I think. Consequently acts around this matter of money should not be followed too quickly, I think so.
For example : when you are looking for a translator the way firstly Proz Platinium are presented and secondly non-paying members is very elegant and shows that Proz interests itself to every category of participants contray to some other Web-Sites :
It is a must ...

Thank you for the compliment, but the tone of your post prompts me to point out that ProZ.com is a commercial venture. If a member meets paying clients via the site, I believe that it is fair for ProZ.com to earn money for facilitating that meeting. Members who are not platinum do meet clients here, but it is not a goal of ours to facilitate that. Just as you should not translate for commercial clients without charging, we do not strive to provide free commercial services. (Perhaps this was already clear.)

Thanks, Frédéric!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If I were "Henry"...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »