Feature Creep (Bloatware) - Is ProZ.com starting down this road?
Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2005

http://news.com.com/Office%2012%20makeover%20takes%20on%20feature%20creep/2100-1012_3-5873597.html?tag=st.num

The above link explains how MS-Word keeps expanding and the problems this brings. I started thinking this with the new Kudoz design. I was plenty happy with the simple way you could ask a question and be done with it. Now I have to go through another learning curve, albeit a small one. Not only did this happen with Kudoz, but also with the translator search option and a couple of other features.

Don't get me wrong - it is much better that Proz goes through these "growing pains". If Proz does not expand and adapt it will lose its leading edge in the translation industry. What I am saying is that it is a problem for some and that there may not be a good way to get around it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:20
SITE FOUNDER
Valid concern Sep 23, 2005

This is something we think about. We have decided that as a rule, we should add only that functionality that is necessary, and that we will make efforts to present new functionality in as simple a way as possible, without major interfaces changes (unless corresponding benefit is obtained). In that we made a lot of design changes, without comparable benefit at the outset (we have corrected it now), the latest KudoZ release was a lesson learned.

That said, it is helpful for people to maintain perspective when evaluating changes. Sometimes a feature that appears pointless to one member has been requested by a dozen others. A little give-and-take is called for.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
"I think this is a good question" query Sep 23, 2005

Henry wrote:

That said, it is helpful for people to maintain perspective when evaluating changes. Sometimes a feature that appears pointless to one member has been requested by a dozen others. A little give-and-take is called for.

OK, then, here's some "give": In a recent forum
http://www.proz.com/topic/37044 (top of thread)
http://www.proz.com/topic/37044?pg=e (latest)
all the posters agreed that there is no need for the "I think this is a good question" feature.

If many people requested it, and if someone can explain to me a valid purpose served by this feature, then I'll "give" a little and not gripe. But this would be my nominee for elimination in the interests of streamlining.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:20
French to English
The "good question" button is a good example Sep 23, 2005

Good point. Even if I don't use all the features, I can at least see the point of most of them. This one completely escapes me, and I don't remember any one asking for anything like it in the forums.

(Unlike the complete opposite - there have been one or two occasions when people have asked for a "this question sucks" (I paraphrase - substantially!) button, to indicate that the asker ought to look in a dictionary or check previous kudoz Qs or do some simple googling.)

It would be interesting to see some stats on how often it gets used....

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
German to English
+ ...
"Good question"! Sep 23, 2005

I haven't figured it out yet either, but I somehow like the idea. I just think it should be up to the answerers, and not the asker, to decide. I also think the names of those who think it's a good question should be shown. Otherwise what's the point?

Nice weekend to all,
Cilian

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
"Good question" Sep 24, 2005

Charlie noticed the past requests for stamping "dictionary" questions. I felt it would be better to start with the positive equivalent. Also, we have some plans for which it will be useful to have identified previous "good" questions. The point will become more apparent in future releases. For now, we are gathering data, we'll add some clarification when we know more.

But let's not sidetrack this topic with a discussion of "good question".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feature Creep (Bloatware) - Is ProZ.com starting down this road?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search