More languages as answerer criteria
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

I would like to see the option of adding another language as a criteria for answerers when asking a question.
For example: At the moment I am working on an English text that has been translated from Italian, I have to translate it into Swedish.
As the translation is quite "bad" I would really like to be able to ask for answerers with the pairs English+Swedish who also know Italian to help me with understand what could be meant with some of the English terms.
I am sure this is valid for all texts that are not original.

If I have the option to select the language I would like the answerer to have a knowledge of outside of the actual language pairs of the translation, it would speed up my work immensely.

I have tried before to post in English-Italian pairs, but then the answers come in Italian and I can't post in Italian-Swedish as I don't know the Italian term for what I am asking.

Anette

Direct link Reply with quote

Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
English to Italian
+ ...
you can ask for answers in English in the EN-IT forum too, I think Oct 29, 2005

Your suggestion might be of general use, of course, so I like it (some times ago I might have used something on these lines for some "English" texts written or translated by German-speaking people, for instance). But I think that many of the Prozians that work in the EN-IT and IT-EN pairs would be quite willing to oblige by communicating in English if you make your request clear. I'm still a relative newcomer, but they seem to be a rather friendly bunch...

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
we are all friends Oct 29, 2005

Alfredo Tutino wrote:

but they seem to be a rather friendly bunch...

I am sure they are! Nearly everyone is on Proz! But some confusion will, and a lot of time was spent explaining whereas, whith the new Proz alternatives it may not be so hard to add this feature, I don't know.
It would be so usedul to be able to add "knowledge of whatever language" sometimes. I think it would help a lot of translators struggling with already translated texts, the problem is the same whichever language, if the translator did not have the target language as their mother tongue or the text was not proof read by someone of that mother tongue.

Would this be technically feasible Henry?

Anette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More languages as answerer criteria

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search