https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/39474-problems_with_agency_contracts.html

Problems with Agency Contracts?
Thread poster: Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2005

We all get agency agreements to sign, but should we sign them? Few of us have the legal competence required to fully evaluate the possible consequences of signing. It would be prudent to seek Counsel’s advice on each single contract before signing, but that is not financially feasible since most agencies provide insufficient work opportunities to justify Counsel’s fees.

What could be done to level the playing field?

This is my suggestion:

Create
... See more
We all get agency agreements to sign, but should we sign them? Few of us have the legal competence required to fully evaluate the possible consequences of signing. It would be prudent to seek Counsel’s advice on each single contract before signing, but that is not financially feasible since most agencies provide insufficient work opportunities to justify Counsel’s fees.

What could be done to level the playing field?

This is my suggestion:

Create the ProZ.com Agency Contract Board.

Proposed format and rules:

Contracts proffered may be posted in PDF format on the Agency Contract Board by Platinum Members and by Translation Agencies. ID Verified Platinum Members who are Freelance Translators may state if they have or would be willing to sign a posted Contract, or not. Possible answers should be limited to:

- I have signed it and I do not regret signing

- I would sign it

- I would not sign it

- I have declined signing it

- I have signed it and I do regret signing

Space should be provided where specific comments could be placed, but it should be optional to make comments.

Agencies should be provided space to rebut Translator’s Comments.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:17
German to English
Agency contracts Nov 26, 2005

Excellent idea, Sven. I'd also recommend reading Derek Gill Franßen's new article published in the articles database:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/554/1/Contracts-I:-Would-you-sign-this?

Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
French to English
+ ...
A good idea Nov 26, 2005

I agree that it would be a good idea for there to be some way for proz.com members to exchange information about contract terms. Note however, that with respect to price terms there are some anti-trust concerns. I am an attorney who used to work quite a bit with contracts. Now I work both as a freelance translator and as the head of a legal translation agency, so I have seen agency contracts from multiple perspectives. When translators work for me, I only offer them contracts that I would my... See more
I agree that it would be a good idea for there to be some way for proz.com members to exchange information about contract terms. Note however, that with respect to price terms there are some anti-trust concerns. I am an attorney who used to work quite a bit with contracts. Now I work both as a freelance translator and as the head of a legal translation agency, so I have seen agency contracts from multiple perspectives. When translators work for me, I only offer them contracts that I would myself be willing to sign.Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
An excellent idea... Nov 27, 2005

Richard Creech wrote:

I agree that it would be a good idea for there to be some way for proz.com members to exchange information about contract terms. Note however, that with respect to price terms there are some anti-trust concerns. I am an attorney who used to work quite a bit with contracts. Now I work both as a freelance translator and as the head of a legal translation agency, so I have seen agency contracts from multiple perspectives. When translators work for me, I only offer them contracts that I would myself be willing to sign.
...and you can even pay with BrowniZs...

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Problems with Agency Contracts? Nov 27, 2005

Sven Petersson wrote:

Few of us have the legal competence required to fully evaluate the possible consequences of signing.

ITI members have access to a legal hotline. Other professional associations may offer something similar. Where liability issues are concerned, liability insurers are not only willing, but indeed keen to offer advice, as it's in their interests to do so.

Marc

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Good suggestion! Nov 28, 2005

Good suggestion, Sven! I have now and then refrained from signing a contract from a new client (translation agency), just because I couldn't know the consequences of going into that business relationship. Mutual exchange of information and experience would be a good idea - after all that's one of the main thoughts behind ProZ.

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH... See more
Good suggestion, Sven! I have now and then refrained from signing a contract from a new client (translation agency), just because I couldn't know the consequences of going into that business relationship. Mutual exchange of information and experience would be a good idea - after all that's one of the main thoughts behind ProZ.

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.t-translators.net
Internet www.technical-translators.net
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

[Edited at 2005-11-28 05:34]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Brilliant! Nov 30, 2005

Very good suggestion Sven.

Please go ahead Henry!

Mats

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:17
SITE FOUNDER
Adding to todo list Dec 1, 2005

Thanks for another good suggestion, Sven. I am adding this to our todo list.

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
What has happened to this? Oct 16, 2006

Henry wrote:

Thanks for another good suggestion, Sven. I am adding this to our todo list.

I could not find anything about this in the new outfit, or where has it hidden?

Charlotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Agency Contracts?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »