Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:24
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2005

Vito Smolej suggested that it might be possible to donate ‘a few nickels’ to help translators who really could not afford to go Platinum, so that they could benefit fully from Proz.com too.

I like the idea of donating as few or as many ‘nickels’ as you like to a fund to sponsor translators who can't afford it themselves. Small amounts soon add up...

4000 BrowniZ give a reduction on Platinum membership – and Platinum members could perhaps donate BrowniZ?
... See more
Vito Smolej suggested that it might be possible to donate ‘a few nickels’ to help translators who really could not afford to go Platinum, so that they could benefit fully from Proz.com too.

I like the idea of donating as few or as many ‘nickels’ as you like to a fund to sponsor translators who can't afford it themselves. Small amounts soon add up...

4000 BrowniZ give a reduction on Platinum membership – and Platinum members could perhaps donate BrowniZ?

It would take some organising, so the site staff would have one of the following options:

1. Work out what could be done technically and as a matter of site policy and how much time they can/will spend on it, and report back.

2. Say they are not able to take on the project. (And then those interested would have to see if they could work something out independently, in the way Translators4kids have done, and negotiate with Henry and the site staff.)

3. The site staff could say no, they don't think it is a good idea at all.

I'm willing to donate a few nickels...
I'm sorry, but I am not willing to organise a scheme - I have too many other commitments to do it properly, so I might just as well be honest about it straight away.

Does anyone else like the idea?

[Edited at 2005-11-28 13:55]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-11-29 08:21]

[Edited at 2005-11-29 08:36]
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
I like the idea Nov 28, 2005

Christine Andersen wrote:

I'm willing to donate a few nickels...
I'm afraid I am not willing to organise a scheme - I have too many other commitments to do it properly, so I might just as well be honest about it straight away.

Does anyone else like the idea?

Same goes for me.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:24
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Agree Nov 28, 2005

Agree to everything, including to not having time to organize anything But the idea is great. I understand completely how difficult it is for translators in some countries to pay the fee that for us is nothing special. If there would be a way of helping them, I would most definitely love to do that.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Donating Browniz is an excellent idea Nov 28, 2005

I don't think I've ever used any of mine anyway! If donating Browniz would help needy translators to gain Platinum membership (whether discounted or "free"), I'd be happy to donate mine.

[Edited at 2005-11-28 15:37]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Free Platinum membership Nov 28, 2005

I live in Brazil, and to be honest, I've never gone platinum because of the price, which is pretty high for us down here.

So, I think it's a great idea. How would you figure out who the recipients would be? Would there be a drawing or somehting like that?

Amy from Rio

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:24
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Browniz donation Nov 30, 2005

It would be a great idea that some translators donate their brownis to help others go platinum.
In addition to meeting clients and translators, this site is designed for translators all over the world to share ideas and experience and cooperate isn't it?
I suggest the following mechanism for a translator to get browniz donation:
1. A prospective donator posts her/his donation, describing the amount of browniz to be donated and the requirements that should be met by the applica
... See more
It would be a great idea that some translators donate their brownis to help others go platinum.
In addition to meeting clients and translators, this site is designed for translators all over the world to share ideas and experience and cooperate isn't it?
I suggest the following mechanism for a translator to get browniz donation:
1. A prospective donator posts her/his donation, describing the amount of browniz to be donated and the requirements that should be met by the applicant.
2. Translators apply for the donation by sending their CV and other necessary information.
3. The donater selects one/more of them.
However, Henry and his staff should provide us with the procedure for the browniz donation. I think it would be like job posting.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:24
SITE FOUNDER
Means of transferring browniz has been requested in the past Nov 30, 2005

Hi all,

In the past, the suggestion has been made that members be given a way to transfer browniz to colleagues (irrespective of location or financial situation). I am willing to provide the capability. However, I prefer to leave the criteria for transferring browniz to individual members, and would require that they transfer them only to colleagues with whom they are familiar, and whose work they respect.

We'll develop the necessary tools and policies. Thanks!

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:24
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Donating only to a joint pool? Nov 30, 2005

Henry wrote:
However, I prefer to leave the criteria for transferring browniz to individual members, and would require that they transfer them only to colleagues with whom they are familiar, and whose work they respect.

Donating browniZ is a great idea, but I'm afraid it may lead to *selling* browniZ at a secondary market. I think it would be great to donate browniZ to a joint ProZ pool and then to reduce the price of platinum membership somehow (I don't know how specifically). Anyway, what I mean that now 4000 browniZ allows to save about $30-40 when paying for the full membership. If a mechanism of donating is in effect, it may lead to cases of selling browniZ, say, 4000 bronwiZ per $20-25. I don't think this is a right thing, so I believe the final mechanism must prevent it.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Linking to local rates? or KudoZ answers? Nov 30, 2005

My problem with transferring BrowniZ to the translators whose work I know about as Henry suggests is that they are all from affluent Western European countries.

Vito Smolej's original suggestion was to donate cash to cover the cost of Platinum membership for translators whose incomes from translation are far more precarious than those living in Europe and America, translators from countries where the rates are far lower than in countries that pay in Euros and US dollars. (Vito menti
... See more
My problem with transferring BrowniZ to the translators whose work I know about as Henry suggests is that they are all from affluent Western European countries.

Vito Smolej's original suggestion was to donate cash to cover the cost of Platinum membership for translators whose incomes from translation are far more precarious than those living in Europe and America, translators from countries where the rates are far lower than in countries that pay in Euros and US dollars. (Vito mentioned Afghanistan and Belarus)

I was willing to donate cash - and cash would have to be into a pool, because no one would expect to pay for a whole Platinum membership on top of their own. But if just 10% of platinum members paid a few dollars or euros each, there would soon be enough in the pool for several whole memberships.

With Browniz as well, I thought, there could be even more memberships. But then there is still the question of choosing which members to give them to.

Those who earn least for a day's translation work (i.e. live in countries with the lowest rates) are the ones who need most help to earn the cost of a Platinum subscription. And a way of finding the most 'deserving' of them might be to look at KudoZ scores.

What I'm thinking is that it takes me slightly less than a day's work to earn the cost of full Platinum membership after tax. It takes longer in countries where rates are lower...

The languages concerned are often those with least resources, (dictionaries, good google sites... fast Internet connections etc.) so contributing to the KOG is a much appreciated service.

Just a thought... I've been on a one-day course and heard about terminology and how resources are used over here - Danish is a 'small' language, but the country is wealthy, and even they have to be careful with their resources. It's so much the spirit of Proz. that everyone contributes what they can, and becasue we are so many, it all adds up and we all benefit more than we contribute... But not everybody has the same amount of cash to start with.

The ball is back in Henry's court I'm afraid, but perhaps something could be worked out on those lines?
Is it possible?

[Edited at 2005-12-01 08:21]
Collapse

Mrudula Tambe
Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:54
English to Marathi
+ ...
In memoriam
Currency Difference Jan 21, 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm from India and would like to be your platinum member but the problem is that the lowest plat-membership costs $120. The american $ is 50 times higher than Indian Rupee. So for US citizen it costs only 120 units of currency while for us it is 120 x 50 units.

Also the jobs we are getting is paid w.r.t. Indian Rupee value. No one approves higher quotation.

So I appeal to the proz.com to authorities to take money keeping the currency differe
... See more
Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm from India and would like to be your platinum member but the problem is that the lowest plat-membership costs $120. The american $ is 50 times higher than Indian Rupee. So for US citizen it costs only 120 units of currency while for us it is 120 x 50 units.

Also the jobs we are getting is paid w.r.t. Indian Rupee value. No one approves higher quotation.

So I appeal to the proz.com to authorities to take money keeping the currency difference in mind.

Regards,

Mrudula.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:24
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Even worse for Japanese Jan 21, 2006

they have to pay JPY 13884 or 115 times more of their currency units for Platinium membership than lucky Americans... and we there in Latvia are particularly lucky, as we pay for Platinium only 70 our currency units, while poor Americans pay all 120 of their

But if seriously- currency units doesn't have anything to do with it, the price is USD 120 when converted to USD from whatever currency. This was discussed befo
... See more
they have to pay JPY 13884 or 115 times more of their currency units for Platinium membership than lucky Americans... and we there in Latvia are particularly lucky, as we pay for Platinium only 70 our currency units, while poor Americans pay all 120 of their

But if seriously- currency units doesn't have anything to do with it, the price is USD 120 when converted to USD from whatever currency. This was discussed before and overall majority (also people from India) agreed that if you are a professional indeed, you should be able to charge enough for your job to be able to invest in your professionalism (you do invest in software and hardware necessary for your work, dictionaries, etc., don't you?)

And my personal testimony is that ProZ Platinium membership was my best and most profitable investment ever.

Uldis

Mrudula Tambe wrote:
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sponsoring Platinum membership for translators who can’t afford it

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »