Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:28
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2005

Hi Henry,
How about a way for ProZ freelancers to pass on contacts clients/agencies they have good working relations with.

Maybe there is already something like this. The (excellent) Blue Board comes close or you can do it in private obviously, but I was thinking more of something like a list of freelancers (working for same sort of rates) who are interested in swapping good contacts with others who don’t work in their language pair (with details exchanged in private between the two). This way there shouldn’t be a risk of competitive undercutting, which would probably happen if the contact name and rate was published. You could call it “Contact exchange.” If you’re introducing/swapping contacts with someone who doesn’t work in your language pairs I see no reason not to.

In private you could exchange information about the sort of rates you could expect (which should be close to those shown in the ProZ profile perhaps), Cat percentages, amount of work available, friendly relationship, etc.

Just an idea.

Btw a “View new posts since last visit” button on threads would be cool.
Thanks for the great site.
Mac

[Edited at 2005-12-02 12:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
I think this should remain private Dec 2, 2005

I have put people in touch before, but always check with both parties and get permission before giving any names out.

For the sake of discretion and professionalism, I really think this sort of thing should remain private.

My two cents.

Also, Proz.com teams seem to exist for this purpose. That's what my team does, anyway.

Sara

[Edited at 2005-12-02 12:09]

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My opinion Dec 2, 2005

I don't see why I should recommend people I don't know or for whom I am not able to judge the quality of work they produce.
I am always extremely careful in recommending colleagues to agencies and vice versa. I do it only when I think a specific translator is a good match for a specific job.
Laura

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quality Dec 2, 2005

Hi,

I think it would be complicated to recommend a translator, if you do not work in that language pair. How can you know or evaluate the quality of the work that this translator delivers to agencies?

I agree with the previous posting.

My two cents.

Patricia

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recommend a client/agency Dec 2, 2005

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Sara I did look at a few groups but didn’t really understand what they were doing. After looking at yours, Laura’s and Gianfranco’s I have a better idea and I’ll definitely think about joining or starting one. Laura’s reproduction team looks particularly cool

Re: should remain private
I agree. The idea is just a list of members who are willing to recommend decent clients, as happens with the ratings on the Blue Board but in private, maybe even a flag in your profile would be better. You could activate or deactivate it.

Laura, I agree I would also only recommend someone to a good client I was sure about. The idea is not to recommend the translator to the client, but the client to the translator (same thing in some cases I appreciate). It’s what happens on the Blue board, but this would be in private, one-to-one, and in more detail.

Re: people I don't know/I am not able to judge the quality of work
Definitely, but there are many ways to judge both character and quality on here, how people act, kudos, profile, etc. That doesn’t mean everyone shares their best clients with everyone else, just “I can provide info on my experience with people who won’t be competing with me if they’re interested.” Before passing on any info you would check out someone’s kudos answers, score, profile. This would actually be more selective than published info on the Blue Board that everyone can see.

Patricia, recommending a client/agency to another translator, not the other way round.
Basically if you approach a new client/agency alone with very little knowledge about them, you are in a pretty weak position right? How often do you take the time to make a new contact, only to find out they pay peanuts, and for Christmas?

I can understand people shying away from the idea of sharing contacts and information, it’s mine all mine, but it already happens on the Blue Board in less detail and you can contact who posted their experience, so why not have a list of who is willing to pass on good contacts and info, or a flag you can pop up in your profile? What info you share and whether you share rates or not would be your decision just as it is in your profile. If you don’t want to share information you consider private or confidential, don’t.

Imo good clients and translators are both hard to find, so why not have a way of making it easier to put them in touch, with the pro in a stronger position than they would be on their own?

Btw any suggestions are welcome obviously, this idea sux too. It’s all good.

Gotta go, as the kids and cats are all screaming, “I’m starving.”

Mac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contact exchange

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search