"Hide this answer" problems, and a suggestion
Thread poster: Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 21:12
German to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2005

I have now twice managed to hide Kudoz answers by mistake and had to repost them, complete with peer comments in the main text.

Maybe I am careless, but on the second occasion, I had actually hit the edit/change response to peer comment button (confirmed as the next screen, showed my now hidden answer together with the change comment box) - so somehow the system reckoned I had hit both buttons simultaneously with one mouse click.

I can foresee problems with allowing a "hide" decision to be reversible, but can I suggest that we guard against idiots like me accidentally hiding answers with one click? A second stage should be added (like in Windows when doing irreversible things like deleting files, formatting disks etc), a simple dialog saying "are you sure you want to hide this answer" will substantially reduce the risk of disaster arising from an accidental, and currently irreversible click on this (rather prominent) button. As the hide option is only used infrequently, I don't think requiring an extra click will inconvenience anyone too much.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Restoring the answer is possible in the new design Dec 22, 2005

Hi, James!

There is no need to repost the answers hidden by mistake. In the new KudoZ design there is a button [Restore this answer] that allows you to unhide the answer.

Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 21:12
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mihai! Dec 22, 2005

So no need for any changes to the system as it is already idiot-proof.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Hide this answer" problems, and a suggestion

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search