https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/41195-allow_msc_as_a_possible_degree.html

Allow MSc as a possible degree
Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
German to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2006

In the "experience" box of a profile, the only degrees names available are BA, MA, PhD.
I think the list should include MSc since MSc degrees in translation are available from Imperial College (London), Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Manchester, City University (London) and possibly others too.
Oliver

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:40
English to Spanish
Incidentally... Jan 10, 2006

Would it be possible to add non-translation related degrees as well? I'm sure it's useful to know up front if the translator in question is also an engineer, lawyer, MD and the like...

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
M.Sc. Jan 10, 2006

I agree with Oliver (for not entirely disinterested reasons).

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 09:40
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good one Jan 10, 2006

Rossana Triaca wrote:

Would it be possible to add non-translation related degrees as well? I'm sure it's useful to know up front if the translator in question is also an engineer, lawyer, MD and the like...

I like the idea, so that we could have more fields in order to enter our degrees (related or not to translation).

Alexandra Duckitt
Alexandra Duckitt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Good idea! Jan 10, 2006

Could BSc be added too - Aston University, where I studied, awards a BSc in Modern Languages rather than a BA.

Alex

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:40
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Not only translation degrees Jan 11, 2006

Rossana Triaca wrote:

I agree with this idea. One that has taken a university degree in translation or language studies is not necessarily a good translator. Let alone the literature translation world, for which what primarily counts is the source/target's skill ability, I think the industry in general needs translators with a deep theoretical knowledge of specific matters and/or proven hands-on experience in certain fields. Sometimes even vocational studies may be enough to classify a translator as good in a specific field, provided of course his ability in the target language.

Mario Cerutti
http://www.aliseo.com

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 23:40
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
I concur Jan 11, 2006

The first requirement of ability to translate is understanding the source text!

There are many out there with a degree in translation that take the approach of Machine Translation, piecing together verbatim translations of terminology, converting segments of phrases by heavily relying on syntax without having the slightest notion of the semantics, thus producing beautifully written total nonsense.

What should be considered worse in technical documentation and "hard" s
... See more
The first requirement of ability to translate is understanding the source text!

There are many out there with a degree in translation that take the approach of Machine Translation, piecing together verbatim translations of terminology, converting segments of phrases by heavily relying on syntax without having the slightest notion of the semantics, thus producing beautifully written total nonsense.

What should be considered worse in technical documentation and "hard" scientific articles, the occasional grammar mistake - don't take me wrong, it shouldn't be there - or a reader concluding that since the supplier is not interested in providing the necessary adequate support and instead sends out ludicrous documents, it is about time to go on the look out for other business or research partners.

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Rossana Triaca wrote:

I agree with this idea. One that has taken a university degree in translation or language studies is not necessarily a good translator.
--snip--

[Edited at 2006-01-11 08:40]
Collapse

Kirsty Mason
Kirsty Mason  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Two fields? Jan 11, 2006

I also agree with including MSc and BSc in the translation qualifications box. I have a BSc a in biological science with a modern language - while not strictly a translation qualification, it is still relevant. At the very least, perhaps we could have the option to elaborate on "other" (e.g. Other: please specify).

How about an extra field - keep the existing one for translation qualifications, plus an additional field for other degrees?

For example, someone with a PhD
... See more
I also agree with including MSc and BSc in the translation qualifications box. I have a BSc a in biological science with a modern language - while not strictly a translation qualification, it is still relevant. At the very least, perhaps we could have the option to elaborate on "other" (e.g. Other: please specify).

How about an extra field - keep the existing one for translation qualifications, plus an additional field for other degrees?

For example, someone with a PhD in computing may also have a language/translation qualification, but wouldn't really enter PhD in the field for "translation-related qualifications".

[Edited at 2006-01-11 10:59]
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Me too! Jan 11, 2006

Peter Linton wrote:

I agree with Oliver (for not entirely disinterested reasons).

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 16:40
German to English
+ ...
Another vote Jan 11, 2006

Count me in with all the above.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Allow MSc as a possible degree

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »