Why not to offer other linguistic services' support
Thread poster: Francesco Barbuto

Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 23, 2006

Hi everybody,

Why do not Proz provide professional services and support for Linguistic professionals other than Translators? I am thinking about, for instance, Web designers, programmers, writers, copywriters, ghostwriters, and so on.

I think it would be a valuable investment for Proz to host such Professionals as well and provide them the invaluable services you are providing, right now, only to translators.

Regards,

Francesco

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
French to English
+ ...
I agree Jan 23, 2006

and may I add attorneys to the list? There is a big demand for attorneys with language skills for many short and long-term projects.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:18
Need to keep a sharp eye on it... Jan 23, 2006

I do think it is a good idea, but there are plenty of general freelancer directories online for this kind of thing.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don´t think so. Jan 23, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:

I do think it is a good idea, but there are plenty of general freelancer directories online for this kind of thing.

For the same reason, I don´t think it is convenient to add this kind of feature to Proz.com. It would change the profile of the site and our identity.
This is THE place for translators & interpreters. Keep it that way. And carry on improving the site on this direction.

Walter

[Edited at 2006-01-23 18:54]

[Edited at 2006-01-23 19:01]

Fred Neild  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fully agree with Walter Jan 23, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

Orla Ryan wrote:

For the same reason, I don´t think it is convenient to add this kind of feature to Proz.com. It would change the profile of the site and our identity.
This is THE place for translators & interpreters. Keep it that way. And carry on improving the site on this direction.

Walter

[Edited at 2006-01-23 18:54]

[Edited at 2006-01-23 19:01]

Fred

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 08:18
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe... Jan 23, 2006

...a "sister site" could be an option here. Those who are already Proz.com members, have their accounts and profile, and offer DTP and other complementary services would have access to this other segment, which could remain separate from the language directory for translation, interpreting, and teaching jobs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why not to offer other linguistic services' support

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search