Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Annoying availability indicator - do we really need it?
Thread poster: Erik Hansson
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 19:11
French to English
Exactly my point Feb 24, 2006

Henry wrote:

- What the current function communicates is whether or not you are available *right now*.

Strange but true: even a seemingly straightforward statement like "right now" does not mean the same thing to all people.

Something about the psychological effect of the "red light" makes me want to leave it on green. I am always happy to answer a request from a new customer. If I can't help them (deadline, rates, specialization, whatever) I still appreciate the contact and am happy to point them to someone who can help. They usually appreciate it, too, and do not consider it a waste of time as they at least are being referred to someone reputable rather than choosing a service provider at random from the directory.

For people who use the red light/green light system to inform existing customers of their availabilty, I can see how it would be useful as return customers are familiar with your speed, volumes, way of working, availability, etc.

Regards,

Sara

[Edited at 2006-02-24 12:51]

[Edited at 2006-02-24 12:52]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:11
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
interim solution Feb 24, 2006

Henry wrote:
So we'll improve upon it in a future release.

In the meantime... 4 items out of 5 in my wishlist above can been done manually...
www.proz.com/pro/12340

It is not yet very refined, it is not reflected in the directory, it is a bit cumbersome to update, but ... it does the job for me!

Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2006-02-24 17:21]

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:11
Spanish to English
Additional features Feb 24, 2006

Henry wrote:
So we'll improve upon it in a future release.

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
In the meantime... 4 items out of 5 in my wishlist above can been done manually...
www.proz.com/pro/12340

It is not yet very refined, it is not reflected in the directory, it is a bit cumbersome to update, but ... it does the job for me!

Gosh Gianfranco, very nice and very thorough! Personally, I'd like to see a line under the availability indicator saying: Not available until: (or something similar) and then another line underneath to use if we feel like it (to add additional information, like on holiday or can do some small jobs, or whatever, if necessary)

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 19:11
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
AVAILABILITY CALENDAR -- suggested refinement Jun 25, 2006

I am still experimenting with this feature and learning how to get the best from it or not.

I tend to use 'green' in a positive way, to indicate that I am available and looking for work.

I do not necessarily change the indicator from green to red on a daily basis when work comes in.

This means that there may be swathes of 'green' in my calendar of the weeks or months past.

Now this may not necessarily mean that I don't get any work, and I don't
... See more
I am still experimenting with this feature and learning how to get the best from it or not.

I tend to use 'green' in a positive way, to indicate that I am available and looking for work.

I do not necessarily change the indicator from green to red on a daily basis when work comes in.

This means that there may be swathes of 'green' in my calendar of the weeks or months past.

Now this may not necessarily mean that I don't get any work, and I don't like the way it could give that impression: "This guy's always available, so he can't be any good!"

I note that it is not possible to go back and edit availability settings for days already past (otherwise I would just make them all grey!)

But instead, could not the system simply automatically remove all availability information for days as they pass? After all, past availability information is not really relevant or important, and if it is to remain visible, we ought at least to have the right to modify it to correct errors or whatever.

[Edited at 2006-06-25 07:55]

[Edited at 2006-06-25 07:56]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying availability indicator - do we really need it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »