Eliminate Pro/Non-Pro filter in 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions'
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:59
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2006

I apologize if this issue has been brought up before, I couldn't find it.

In the 'Answer Questions' or 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions' page, there's a feature to filter Pro/Non-Pro questions. I've noticed that some people only answer Pro questions for obvious reasons.

I don't think that's fair. I would rather answer questions that will give me points but that poses a problem. Since a Pro question may get more answers, some people may classify a Non-pro question as pro.

Besides as I said, it's just not fair. I know that eliminating the option to chose won't stop the problem, anybody could choose to open only the Pro questions manually. But at least it would even things out a bit.

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:59
German to English
+ ...
When is non-Pro not non-Pro? Mar 6, 2006

A "non-Pro" question should by definition be a question that most of us could answer in our sleep. No dictionaries, no research, just a quickie that anyone could answer and which offers no room for doubt or discussion.

A genuine non-Pro question would normally be asked by a non-translator who happens to have found the site. If a question is asked by a Pro, it is difficult to justify making it a non-Pro question without questioning the professionalism of the asker.

But sometimes I feel "non-Pro" is overused. Recently I saw a question which had attracted about 6 to 8 answers (and quite a bit of discussion). The source term was not difficult to understand, but there was a variety of possible target solutions and the potential for much research, and I felt the discussion was useful. Then somebody (who hadn't even answered and didn't take part in the discussion) used the "vote Pro/non-Pro" box to change the question to "non-Pro".

[Edited at 2006-03-06 09:34]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
All members can vote a change from Pro to non pro (or vice versa) and some can change it directly Mar 6, 2006

If you see a question which you think is incorrectly classified, you can vote to change it - if enough members do so (I think three are necessary) then it will be changed.

Some more experienced members and all moderators can change questions from Pro to non-pro (or vice versa) directly.

The rules for classification are given in the FAQ:
http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#kudoz_easy_pro

Further advice is given here:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/95/

One of the more important points is that when in doubt, questions should be classified as PRO rather than non-Pro!

[Edited at 2006-03-06 17:15]

[Edited at 2006-03-06 17:16]

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
But why do you want to eliminate the option? Mar 6, 2006

In fact there are 3 options: show Pro, show Non-pro and show All.

Doesn't selecting 'All' solve your problem?

Magda

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:59
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is... Mar 7, 2006

Besides as I said, it's just not fair. I know that eliminating the option to chose won't stop the problem, anybody could choose to open only the Pro questions manually. But at least it would even things out a bit.

Thanks for all your comments. I think I didn't explain myself quite clearly. The problem is not being able to see one particular kind of questions, but the fact that some translators ONLY answer Pro questions. I know that's their prerrogative but in my humble opinion I don't think that's fair for the rest of us that answer both Pro and Non-Pro questions or for the ones that post the Non-pro questions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eliminate Pro/Non-Pro filter in 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions'

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search