https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/43402-eliminate_pro_non_pro_filter_in_kudoztm_term_questions.html

Eliminate Pro/Non-Pro filter in 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions'
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:03
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2006

I apologize if this issue has been brought up before, I couldn't find it.

In the 'Answer Questions' or 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions' page, there's a feature to filter Pro/Non-Pro questions. I've noticed that some people only answer Pro questions for obvious reasons.

I don't think that's fair. I would rather answer questions that will give me points but that poses a problem. Since a Pro question may get more answers, some people may classify a Non-pro question as pro.... See more
I apologize if this issue has been brought up before, I couldn't find it.

In the 'Answer Questions' or 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions' page, there's a feature to filter Pro/Non-Pro questions. I've noticed that some people only answer Pro questions for obvious reasons.

I don't think that's fair. I would rather answer questions that will give me points but that poses a problem. Since a Pro question may get more answers, some people may classify a Non-pro question as pro.

Besides as I said, it's just not fair. I know that eliminating the option to chose won't stop the problem, anybody could choose to open only the Pro questions manually. But at least it would even things out a bit.

Claudia
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:03
German to English
+ ...
When is non-Pro not non-Pro? Mar 6, 2006

A "non-Pro" question should by definition be a question that most of us could answer in our sleep. No dictionaries, no research, just a quickie that anyone could answer and which offers no room for doubt or discussion.

A genuine non-Pro question would normally be asked by a non-translator who happens to have found the site. If a question is asked by a Pro, it is difficult to justify making it a non-Pro question without questioning the professionalism of the asker.

But s
... See more
A "non-Pro" question should by definition be a question that most of us could answer in our sleep. No dictionaries, no research, just a quickie that anyone could answer and which offers no room for doubt or discussion.

A genuine non-Pro question would normally be asked by a non-translator who happens to have found the site. If a question is asked by a Pro, it is difficult to justify making it a non-Pro question without questioning the professionalism of the asker.

But sometimes I feel "non-Pro" is overused. Recently I saw a question which had attracted about 6 to 8 answers (and quite a bit of discussion). The source term was not difficult to understand, but there was a variety of possible target solutions and the potential for much research, and I felt the discussion was useful. Then somebody (who hadn't even answered and didn't take part in the discussion) used the "vote Pro/non-Pro" box to change the question to "non-Pro".

[Edited at 2006-03-06 09:34]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
All members can vote a change from Pro to non pro (or vice versa) and some can change it directly Mar 6, 2006

If you see a question which you think is incorrectly classified, you can vote to change it - if enough members do so (I think three are necessary) then it will be changed.

Some more experienced members and all moderators can change questions from Pro to non-pro (or vice versa) directly.

The rules for classification are giv
... See more
If you see a question which you think is incorrectly classified, you can vote to change it - if enough members do so (I think three are necessary) then it will be changed.

Some more experienced members and all moderators can change questions from Pro to non-pro (or vice versa) directly.

The rules for classification are given in the FAQ:
http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#kudoz_easy_pro

Further advice is given here:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/95/

One of the more important points is that when in doubt, questions should be classified as PRO rather than non-Pro!

[Edited at 2006-03-06 17:15]

[Edited at 2006-03-06 17:16]
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
But why do you want to eliminate the option? Mar 6, 2006

In fact there are 3 options: show Pro, show Non-pro and show All.

Doesn't selecting 'All' solve your problem?

Magda

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:03
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is... Mar 7, 2006

Besides as I said, it's just not fair. I know that eliminating the option to chose won't stop the problem, anybody could choose to open only the Pro questions manually. But at least it would even things out a bit.

Thanks for all your comments. I think I didn't explain myself quite clearly. The problem is not being able to see one particular kind of questions, but the fact that some translators ONLY answer Pro questions. I know that's their prerrogative but in my humble opinion I don't think that's fair for the rest of us that answer both Pro and Non-Pro questions or for the ones that post the Non-pro questions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eliminate Pro/Non-Pro filter in 'KudoZ(tm) Term Questions'

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »