Thread poster: Juan Jacob
Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:33
English to Romanian
Notify a moderator Apr 1, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

Since none of them have profiles now, it`s imposssible for me to check.

But it looks very likely.

This could happen. Perhaps you should notify a moderator, who can verify the person's IP, supposedly.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
many emails previously sent. Apr 1, 2006

Antoinette Verburg wrote:

[

Of course I also detest this kind of Asker behaviour, but unfortunately only the MODERATOR can do something about this... which he has.

Regards,
Antoinette (editor).

David sent an email. I also noticed that several members did the same. Asker did no reply any of those requests.

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
Local time: 20:33
system not working for "members"either Apr 1, 2006

Maria Diaconu wrote:

Joanna Borowska wrote:

and was told that the system doesn't allow asking new questions if one has more than five questions open for more than a week. That would be a solution but, as we can see, the system doesn' t work properly...

I think it works like that only for registered users. ?

The system (i.e. no more questions allowed if you have more than 10 open) doesn't work for members either - one such asker on the Eng. to French forum has some 42 open questions (or rather full sentences) and is still posting.
df

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
More about open questions Apr 1, 2006

Well, I don't agree, Walter.
..............Regards,
Antoinette (editor).

Dear Antoinette,

There are thousands or open questions, some of them dating back to 2002. Askers have been asked several times by moderators and/or members to grade or close those questions, unfortunatley, no succes.

Some of those open questions are being closed by the robot. Others remain open, and they might remain open for ages. This kind of thing should be stopped before it expands.

Editors have the right to squash a question for a number of reasons and we should use this right wisely.

The following is taken from Kudoz rules and Kudoz FAQ:
"FROM KudoZ RULES:
2.4 - In general, askers should refrain from posting a large number of questions in a short period of time. Bear in mind that a question may be sent to several thousand people, and use your judgment
FROM FAQ:
31. ASKING: Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask?
Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15).
32. ASKING: I tend to store up my term questions until the end of a project. Is there any way I can get around the limit?
We believe that the limit of fifteen (15) per day should be high enough for most people. By spreading your questions over the last two days of a project, for example, you can ask thirty (30). If you need more and are a member, you can ask a moderator or site staff to grant a temporary exemption.""

Enough reasons, I believe. What I said above applies to this case.

Many regards,

Walter
Editor

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 20:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Antoinette Apr 1, 2006

Walter, if David, as a moderator, didn't see fit to squash the question, then I don't think that you should have taken it upon yourself to do so. And I hate open questions just as much as anyone.

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Dear Walter and all Apr 1, 2006

The use of squashing and editing rights is currently being reviewed by Enrique Cavalitto, as Community Manager.
Please wait for his input.
Thank you.
Andrea

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 13:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is this the right place to report this? Apr 1, 2006

I just found this question while searching for a term:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1162206

It's from October, 2005. There are three answers, but since no one has agreed with any of them, the robot hasn't closed it.

What should we, as users who want to help solve this problem, do in these cases?

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:33
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
agree with Antoinette and Cindy Apr 1, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:
I already squashed this question
(...)
I expect you all to agree.

Well, I don't agree, Walter.
If David Meléndez Tormen, who is a MODERATOR, saw it fit to leave the question as it is and take other measures, then it is not up to an editor to ignore this decision and squash the question (unless you contacted the moderator about this first, and the moderator agreed).
Besides, asking too many questions (or leaving them open for that matter) is not among the valid reasons for squashing a question.

Hi everyone,

As you probably already know, the reasons for squashing questions are:
-Offensive (sexist, racist, etc.)
-Adult nature and/or profane
-Unprofessional; lacks literary/technical merit
-Nonsense
-Repetition (ie. exactly same as prev/next question)
-Text to be translated is longer than ten words
-Includes more than one term question
-Not a language question
-Incomplete question
-Asker and answerer the same
-Asker requested removal of question
-Staff testing
-Other:

"Too many open questions posted by this asker" doesn't appear among the above reasons. One might argue that "Other" could be used for "too many open questions". I personally would not agree, and I'd leave that last option to be used by moderators and staff only for exceptional cases.
I've faced the same situation several times and I admit that on a couple of occasions my e-mails to the asker were ignored. I still didn't squash the questions. There are other measures moderators can take in such cases, so I think it's best to inform them and let them deal with the issue.

About this particular question, I agree that it should be squashed, not because the asker has asked too many questions but simply because it includes more than one term.
Maria

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try the Closers` Forum Apr 1, 2006

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

I just found this question while searching for a term:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1162206

It's from October, 2005. There are three answers, but since no one has agreed with any of them, the robot hasn't closed it.

What should we, as users who want to help solve this problem, do in these cases?

Hi MT,
Why don`t you try the forum http://www.proz.com/topic/40152 or
http://www.proz.com/topic/40021
for this case? It might work.

Good luck.

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maria Apr 1, 2006

Maria Karra wrote:

Hi everyone,

As you probably already know, the reasons for squashing questions are:
-Offensive (sexist, racist, etc.)
-Adult nature and/or profane
-Unprofessional; lacks literary/technical merit
-Nonsense
-Repetition (ie. exactly same as prev/next question)
-Text to be translated is longer than ten words
-Includes more than one term question
-Not a language question
-Incomplete question
-Asker and answerer the same
-Asker requested removal of question
-Staff testing
-Other:

"Too many open questions posted by this asker" doesn't appear among the above reasons. One might argue that "Other" could be used for "too many open questions". I personally would not agree, and I'd leave that last option to be used by moderators and staff only for exceptional cases.
I've faced the same situation several times and I admit that on a couple of occasions my e-mails to the asker were ignored. I still didn't squash the questions. There are other measures moderators can take in such cases, so I think it's best to inform them and let them deal with the issue.

About this particular question, I agree that it should be squashed, not because the asker has asked too many questions but simply because it includes more than one term.
Maria

Hi Maria,
Yes, maybe my phrasing, the reason stated, wasn´t the proper one. There were many many questions in a row, belonging to the same paragraph or text. And many of them with more than 10 terms. 51 open in a very short time, an not a member.

Mi intention was to call the asker`s attention in order for him to stop making new questions and begin closing old questions for once.
I concede again, my explanation maybe wasn´t the proper one.
I`m glad you agree the questions should be squashed, though.

Best,
Walter

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
David was already working on this Apr 2, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

[

Of course I also detest this kind of Asker behaviour, but unfortunately only the MODERATOR can do something about this... which he has.

Regards,
Antoinette (editor).

David sent an email. I also noticed that several members did the same. Asker did no reply any of those requests.

Walter,

Since a moderator was already looking into this issue, you should have refrained from acting on your own. Squashing a question is an extreme measure and should be used with caution and care.

As Maria cites the valid and invalid reasons for squashing KudoZ questions are clearly listed at http://www.proz.com/howto/327. Among the invalid reasons you can find:

Question has not received any "good" answers

Question is "old"

Term can be found in a dictionary

Asker has asked too many questions (per-day limits of 1/5/15 will not be imposed until late August)

Regards,
Enrique

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I`m sorry. Apr 2, 2006

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Walter,

Since a moderator was already looking into this issue, you should have refrained from acting on your own. Squashing a question is an extreme measure and should be used with caution and care.

As Maria cites the valid and invalid reasons for squashing KudoZ questions are clearly listed at http://www.proz.com/howto/327. Among the invalid reasons you can find:

Question has not received any "good" answers

Question is "old"

Term can be found in a dictionary

Asker has asked too many questions (per-day limits of 1/5/15 will not be imposed until late August)

Regards,
Enrique

Hi Enrique,

I concede that. You are right. I shouldn`t have been so anxious.
I`m sorry.

Walter

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 11:33
English to French
+ ...
and counting... Apr 3, 2006

df49f wrote:

The system (i.e. no more questions allowed if you have more than 10 open) doesn't work for members either - one such asker on the Eng. to French forum has some 42 open questions (or rather full sentences) and is still posting.
df

51 as of now (Sunday 9 pm EDT).

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:33
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mon point de vue.... Apr 3, 2006

...and please excuse my poor English writing.
Members and non-members are strictly "watched" in respecting ProZ rules, and that's OK.
Now, why should non log-in persons not be obliged to follow them? This case, and others, are clearly ProZ Abuse, and "we" would be immediatly contacted by a moderator or squashed in a similar situation.
I don't know what happened between Walter and "a moderator", but I think that somebody entitled to squash a question as Walter should be in his
... See more
...and please excuse my poor English writing.
Members and non-members are strictly "watched" in respecting ProZ rules, and that's OK.
Now, why should non log-in persons not be obliged to follow them? This case, and others, are clearly ProZ Abuse, and "we" would be immediatly contacted by a moderator or squashed in a similar situation.
I don't know what happened between Walter and "a moderator", but I think that somebody entitled to squash a question as Walter should be in his right to argue: "Proz Abuse."
"In my time" (That is: when I was allowed to squash), I did it sometimes under that argument and everything seemed to be all right.
Saludos.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Explanations Apr 3, 2006

Juan, I'd like to explain here several things.

First, you brought to this forum a KudoZ problem without notifying the KudoZ moderators. This should be the latest resource, in case the moderators ignore your request.
Other moderators had to alert David in order to bring his attention here, to a public discussion.

It happens that the asker you pointed to was already being investigated because it's related to a Proz.com regular user who seems to be abusing KudoZ. Thi
... See more
Juan, I'd like to explain here several things.

First, you brought to this forum a KudoZ problem without notifying the KudoZ moderators. This should be the latest resource, in case the moderators ignore your request.
Other moderators had to alert David in order to bring his attention here, to a public discussion.

It happens that the asker you pointed to was already being investigated because it's related to a Proz.com regular user who seems to be abusing KudoZ. This is not matter to be made public but you're compelling me to explain it here.

There seems to be a problem with the system that should not allow to ask questions when too many questions are still open. I submitted a Support Request on Friday evening, our programmers don't work 7/7, 24/24, so we have to wait.
It's not normal that unlogged users could be able to keep asking with open questions while members can't. I also called the programmers' attention on that point.

What can I say... you are right in many points, but the way you chose to treat the problem is embarrassing and not constructive. We're working on the core problem, which is that there are too many open questions, moreover from an unlogged user.
We're aware of people trying to abuse KudoZ, investigations go on and sanctions are taken. This usually starts by alerts sent to KudoZ moderators.
This particular case should have a solution this week.

I hope our programmers will be able to fix the system this week too. If not, be confident that they will do it soon.

Thanks for bringing the problem to our attention anyway.

Claudia

[Editado a las 2006-04-03 01:55]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too many open questions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »