Directory search
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez
Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:40
English to Spanish
Jun 6, 2006

I wonder if any of you agrees with me in thinking that the directory search would greatly benefit us and the outsourcers if an "advance search" facility is added in which the outsourcer will be able to filter according to:

- number of years of experience translating
- average words translated so far
- subfield in the target language, at least in the case of Spanish (eg: Spanish from México)

After all, the more useful and userfriendly is, the more sucess it will have...

Kind regards

Marta

Direct link Reply with quote

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
German to English
Years of experience Jun 6, 2006

Years of experience should definitely play a role in the directory search, as well as in the position in the directory.

[Edited at 2006-06-06 11:46]

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:40
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Experience sometimes means nothing Jun 6, 2006

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:
"advance search" facility is added in which the outsourcer will be able to filter according to:
- number of years of experience translating

Hello Marta, in some cases it is a quality feature if a translator got many years of experience.
But not per definition and not always.

" Experience means nothing . You can do something wrong for 35 years . " - Kurt Tucholsky

Did you never meet a person with a bunch of experiences but no deeper insight at all?

I do not like that idea too much because I really want my younger (or less experienced) colleagues to have a equal chance at the first sight.

Regards
Steffi

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
experience Jun 6, 2006

Hi

Of course I think it is essential to give a chance also to colleagues with less experience, introducing such filter would not mean excluding them altogether at all. I think it would be more intelligent from this site to enable this, the outsourcer would have the chance of chosing a person with little experience or none or someone with a substantial experience depending on his/her requirements.

I would not make it affect the order in which translators appear though when doing a general language combination search, because (being as many as we are) this might mean "excluding" them.

Regarding this topic, I am surprised that in the profile page, it does not say "years of experience TRANSLATING"... To add that crucial last word is necessary!

Last but not least: I have seen one example of experience not accounting for much, but I believe these are only exceptions.

Regards

Marta

[Edited at 2006-06-06 15:53]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:40
English to French
+ ...
Years of experience Jun 7, 2006

An advanced search feature would be neat and it could help in paring down the hundreds of results to just a few.

However, I don't agree that the years of experience should be part of this. Many outsourcers/agencies purposedly look for people with much less experience because a) they have a (fake) argument to ask for a lower rate and b) people with less experience are willing to work 16 hours a day, as they don't get as many contracts as more experienced people do.

What I'm getting at is that many "new" translators are willing to lower their rates because they don't have much experience and agencies play on that. Experienced translators know how hard it is to raise your rates later. So this is something that would contribute to lowering rates. Agencies and outsourcers could be targeting people with almost no experience specifically. If they get more experience from this, good for them, and I am not going to say that they would take work away from experienced people. But this could contribute to lowering the market rate for everybody, as agencies and outsourcers wouldn't need to search as hard to find people who are likely to offer low rates. And let's face it, when the client believes that the price matters more than the quality, that is pretty much a dishonor to our profession.

But an advanced search function (CAT tools, certification, native language, etc.) would definitely help a lot!

; )

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:40
English to German
+ ...
http://www.proz.com/directory Jun 7, 2006

Hi Viktoria,

But an advanced search function (CAT tools, certification, native language, etc.) would definitely help a lot!

Have a look at the directory search... it's all in there.

Best, Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
native language Jun 7, 2006

Fields available in the directory search:
- language pair
- language pair emphasis
- field of expertise
- native language
- country of residence
- region of residence
- city of residence
- professional credential status
- translator productivity software
- current availability
- self-defined expertise in field selected (working...)

Still, same problems as mentioned in the first entry, biggest one regarding "native language", there should be a subfield here. The same issue was arisen in another forum entry regarding the need to search separatedly for Brazilian and Portuguese translators.

Marta

[Edited at 2006-06-07 13:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Directory search

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search