https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/5103-more_precise_context_for_kudoz_questions_please.html

more precise context for KudoZ questions, please
Thread poster: RHELLER
RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 14:24
French to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2002

I am very surprised to see colleagues posting KudoZ questions which are VERY vague. It seems they have very precise answers in mind but give little or NO information/context.

Just because it falls under TECH (for example) does not really help. The number of possibilities for the different types of parts is enormous.

We just had one example concerning brackets (FR). The real issue is what are they destined to support? Not how they were manufactured.... See more
I am very surprised to see colleagues posting KudoZ questions which are VERY vague. It seems they have very precise answers in mind but give little or NO information/context.

Just because it falls under TECH (for example) does not really help. The number of possibilities for the different types of parts is enormous.

We just had one example concerning brackets (FR). The real issue is what are they destined to support? Not how they were manufactured.

Please take this as a helpful comment and not as a complaint.

Rita
[addsig]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:24
English to German
+ ...
Use the "Ask for context" function Sep 13, 2002

I know the problem - have you tried the function that allows you to ask the asker for context?

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 14:24
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have tried asking for context Sep 13, 2002

Dear Ralf,

Yes, I have asked for further context but I rarely get responses. I am trying to incite everyone to \"get it right\" the first time around.

I realize they are in a hurry and stressed - but they will get a more accurate response if they are more detailed.

Rita
[addsig]

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:24
English to French
+ ...
Providing a helpful context is a sign of intelligence and respect for the people one is asking help Sep 17, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-09-13 19:08, RHELLER wrote:

Yes, I have asked for further context but I rarely get responses. I am trying to incite everyone to \"get it right\" the first time around.

Dear Rita

I see exactly what you mean and could not agree more. I also like those questions without an accurate \"field\" and of course no context.

If one is in such a hurry that he/she could cannot take 15 seconds to add \"part of a car\" or \"metal work\", he/she will likely have to wait a lot longer for a decent answer.

JL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

more precise context for KudoZ questions, please

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »