Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:35
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2006

Hi everybody,

Together with a few colleagues I recently set up a list of books related to translation studies, linguistics, our specific languages, etc. The list contains
- the title of the book
- the author(s)
- a brief overview of the contents and probably a personal review

How about we set up something like this in ProZ? I am thinking of a grading system from 1 to 5 (like in the Blue Board or the Amazon review section). The books should be divided into languages first, and then sub-divided into fields like translation studies, getting established, specialized fields (medical, legal, technical, etc.).

I know of a few great books that I'd love to recommend. And I sometimes wish to buy new books on specific topics. Having recommendations from colleagues would help me with the decision. Having done this with my colleagues was a great thing, but if the whole ProZ community shared their recommendations through this platform, the list would grow much bigger, with many more opinions. What do you think?

Looking forward to your input. Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Stefanie

PS: Maybe ProZ.com could even offer a few brownies for ratings, and a few more for reviews?

[Bearbeitet am 2006-09-02 18:05]

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
welcome! Sep 2, 2006

That looks like a wonderful and most welcomed idea. Indeed.

[Edited at 2006-09-02 19:18]

Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good idea Sep 2, 2006

Everybody needs good translation tools and tips, whether they are books or not. I think they're never enough. If people could contribute to those book lists and give their own reviews, it would be useful and positive.

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Yes! Sep 2, 2006

Yes , yes , yes , yes , yes , yes !

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 18:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent idea! Sep 2, 2006

And why not extend it (yikes - even before it's born!) to include a 'Press' section where site members/users can draw attention to items they've found in the general or specialized press about translation/interpretation/languages in a centralized location, rather than posting 'quotable' articles, or links thereto, in the forum under any heading they think appropriate?

MediaMatrix

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Haha, Mihai! Sep 2, 2006

And I thought I was quite aware of what has been discussed on Proz.com before! I even did a quick search through the forums, but couldn't find those threads.

Thanks for the links.

Stefanie

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:35
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What links? Sep 3, 2006

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

Thanks for the links.

Stefanie

Did Mihai send you the links privately? I don't see any on the forum.

And, may we see your list somewhere?

Great idea!

Jane

Later: OK, sorry, I get it. I saw the red letters but didn't think of clicking on them.

[Edited at 2006-09-03 01:32]

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
German to English
Good suggestion! Sep 3, 2006

Thanks for the good suggestion, Stefanie, and I hope it can be implemented. I agree with everyone else's input too!

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Excellent Idea Sep 3, 2006

Of course, there are the books I studied at the University but then in our profession it's important to keep reinventing ourselves. That's it's beauty.

Ritu

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Inspiring books for translators Sep 3, 2006

Great idea, Stefanie!:-)

Hi Ritu,
you are right: reinventing ourselves is important and I like this aspect of being a freelance translator.

But there are inspiring or helpful books for translators, not solely orientated on translating itself, but on getting established.
Like books on
- creative/technical writing
- website boosting/homepage usability
- brain tools ("how to get ideas")
- cultural differences ("when cultures collide"-"kiss, bow or shake hands)
- network marketing
etc. etc.

Regards Stephanie

[Edited at 2006-09-03 11:24]

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Examples Sep 3, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
And, may we see your list somewhere?

Hi Jane,

Our list is about German books mostly. It contains:
- books by Wolf Schneider, a German journalist who also wrote books about good writing style.
- books by Bastian Sick, who writes about common mistakes in the German language (funny, a bit like Lynne Truss with 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves')
- other books about style, stories about words, etymology of words, quotations, sayings, etc.
- books and articles about translation (creativity in translation, translation theory, stories by Günter Grass' translators)
- books on the history of German and English literature
- books on linguistics
- some books about the English language (idioms, guide to punctuation and style, grammar, usage, etc.)
- books about writing and journalism
- books about marketing yourself, getting established as a freelancer, etc.
- links to newsletters and recommendations for magazines (technical writing, the translation market, self-marketing, etc.)

I'd also like to add specialized fields, such as The Merck Manual for medical translators, a very good German IT encyclopedia, recommendable books about Automotive and Electrical Engineering, and many many more.

I mostly know about German books, since I translate into German only. But this list could be a great thing for translators of all languages. Where to start a project like this, if not on Proz?

Stefanie

[Bearbeitet am 2006-09-03 14:39]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How? Sep 3, 2006

This "list" should be probably in the form of a database. Each publication would reside as one entry like in a filing cabinet in libraries still 20 years ago. And users would assign a judgement according to importance, quality etc.

For a start one could look at the entries in a big university library using the search terms "translation studies", "translation theory", "translation quality" etc.
Creation of such a database is not easy if one has to do it from scratch.

Honestly I haven't read anything about translation theory since I got my diploma. Real life is so much different from the models in these books.

Regards

Heinrich

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Links to articles Sep 3, 2006

mediamatrix wrote:

And why not extend it (yikes - even before it's born!) to include a 'Press' section where site members/users can draw attention to items they've found in the general or specialized press about translation/interpretation/languages in a centralized location, rather than posting 'quotable' articles, or links thereto, in the forum under any heading they think appropriate?

MediaMatrix

Hi MediaMatrix,

I like the idea. What I don't like about links is that they might not be working after a while. Would it be legally possible to copy the contents over to Proz so they are available right here?

Stefanie

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wonderful suggestion! Sep 3, 2006

Book reviews would be so helpful!!

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Heinrich Sep 3, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

This "list" should be probably in the form of a database. Each publication would reside as one entry like in a filing cabinet in libraries still 20 years ago. And users would assign a judgement according to importance, quality etc.

For a start one could look at the entries in a big university library using the search terms "translation studies", "translation theory", "translation quality" etc.
Creation of such a database is not easy if one has to do it from scratch.

Honestly I haven't read anything about translation theory since I got my diploma. Real life is so much different from the models in these books.

Regards

Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

It does not have to be about translation theory only. I was thinking about books that are valuable for everyday translating, for improving our language skills, for broadening our knowledge in specialized fields. Or newsletters like Jost Zetzsche's 'Translator's Toolkit'. I just listed a few examples for German books above. What do you think about these?

I don't know how complicated it would be to set this database up from scratch. I hope it won't be too difficult. I was thinking of having a few fields for entering the title of the book, the author or publisher, the year of publication, maybe the ISBN, and then a choice of points to give (from 1 to 5 for example) as a rating, and an optional section to enter a review.

If a title has already been entered, there should still be the option to enter a rating and a review for other users.

Sounds pretty much like the Blue Board database to me. Maybe Proz's programmers would "only" need to modify the code for the Blue Board a little?

Stefanie

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book ReviewZ

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search