https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/56070-a_function_for_uploading_credentials_on_our_profile_pages.html

A function for uploading credentials on our Profile Pages
Thread poster: Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 00:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2006

Hello friendly Suggestions Board moderator:

I have just one for now. Would it be possible to implement another upload functionality (like the ones for CV, image, audio and video) which would allow us to upload our credentials in PDF and/or some type of image format? They could be subject to vetting, much like the posts on Blue Board and other areas are.

Also, maybe validation could be offered as well, possibly also offering immediate verification services for languages
... See more
Hello friendly Suggestions Board moderator:

I have just one for now. Would it be possible to implement another upload functionality (like the ones for CV, image, audio and video) which would allow us to upload our credentials in PDF and/or some type of image format? They could be subject to vetting, much like the posts on Blue Board and other areas are.

Also, maybe validation could be offered as well, possibly also offering immediate verification services for languages that it would be easier to assess, such as, for example, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, etc., where credentials could be uploaded in the original language in which they were issued and someone (possibly paid staff or a moderator of that language who would receive some type of remuneration) could "authenticate" the credentials uploaded.

Credentials could then be made downloadable from the member's Profile Page.

This would be an attractive feature that could be offered to "paying" members only.

Just another two cents for the piggy bank!

Thanx,

Bonnie
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:53
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Fraud concerns? Sep 25, 2006

Hi,
I don't think I would ever choose to publish my credentials due to a serious risk of identity fraud. How would you know who is downloading it and how they use it?

Magda

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
Why download? Sep 25, 2006

I agree with Magda that there is risk of fraud there. Why would you want anyone to download your credentials? Currently you can fax your credentials to ProZ and they will verify them and make a notation to that effect on your profile. I think that is all that is needed. No-one needs to actually see your credentials.

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 25, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi,
I don't think I would ever choose to publish my credentials due to a serious risk of identity fraud. How would you know who is downloading it and how they use it?

Magda

Of course, that's your prerogative. I believe I've posted this topic in the correct forum, "Suggestions", and that's just what it is, a suggestion. Also, if implemented, then like most of the features on ProZ.com, nobody would be forcing you to use it.

I was under the impression that whoever was in charge of this forum would consult with the necessary parties on whether a suggestion was worth implementing or not. Of course, it's probably worth pointing out the downfalls of the suggestions made on this board, just in case Henry and Co. can't figure them out for themselves (sarcasm intended)...

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I beg to differ Sep 25, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I agree with Magda that there is risk of fraud there. Why would you want anyone to download your credentials? Currently you can fax your credentials to ProZ and they will verify them and make a notation to that effect on your profile. I think that is all that is needed. No-one needs to actually see your credentials.

The process of faxing the documents to ProZ com is a bit lengthy and, not only that, if your credentials happen to be in a language other than English, then you have to have them translated or translate them yourself (if that is even allowed), which doesn't seem quite right to me, not to mention the time it would take.

To answer your question, why would I want people to download/see my credentials? Transparency, maybe? The possibility for anyone to instantly see whether I was posting something true on my Profile Page or just making it up? I beg to differ, but I believe many people not only need but want to see the credentials of a given language professional they are thinking of hiring, and this would be a great option for individuals/companies who do not like attachments or have a policy against them.

As for the risk of fraud, have either of you ever heard of document protection?

Bonnie

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:53
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sarcasm intended? Sep 25, 2006

Not sure what in my post (and the next post) has made you to use sarcasm and patronizing tone. It certainly doesn't promote well your suggestion.

Magda

Bonita Mc Donald wrote:

Of course, that's your prerogative. I believe I've posted this topic in the correct forum, "Suggestions", and that's just what it is, a suggestion. Also, if implemented, then like most of the features on ProZ.com, nobody would be forcing you to use it.

I was under the impression that whoever was in charge of this forum would consult with the necessary parties on whether a suggestion was worth implementing or not. Of course, it's probably worth pointing out the downfalls of the suggestions made on this board, just in case Henry and Co. can't figure them out for themselves (sarcasm intended)...

As for the risk of fraud, have either of you ever heard of document protection?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sorry, I don't get your intended sarcasm Sep 25, 2006

I must be very tired. Would you please mind to repost that sarcasm slower and in a bigger font?

Uldis

Bonita Mc Donald wrote:

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:53
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not a bad idea Sep 26, 2006

There are functions that prevent files from being downloaded.
As a sworn translator, you can translate your degree yourself and have it certified by the court, where you are registered. I have done it a couple of times and there was no problem at all.

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 16:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
Any suggestion is a good suggestion... Sep 26, 2006

Hi Bonita,

I don't know if that's true but someone said it:) First off I think it's commendable for anyone to come up with suggestions on how to improve the service we are paying for. Isn't that in all of our interests?

There will always be people who either agree or disagree with suggestions made and that's a good thing because that's how ideas evolve into great ideas, through discussion. Try not to come down too heavy on the people who disagree because they might ju
... See more
Hi Bonita,

I don't know if that's true but someone said it:) First off I think it's commendable for anyone to come up with suggestions on how to improve the service we are paying for. Isn't that in all of our interests?

There will always be people who either agree or disagree with suggestions made and that's a good thing because that's how ideas evolve into great ideas, through discussion. Try not to come down too heavy on the people who disagree because they might just have another angle on the idea that, through the forum and through discussion, turns it into a great idea.

My angle on this suggestion is maybe having some system like http://www.yousendit.com whereby you can upload documents and then specifically select who can download it by sending them an email link. At least that way you would have control over who would be downloading and looking at your credentials.

I think any system that would avoid people having to repeatedly send CVs, copies of degrees, transcripts, references, credentials etc but enable them to do it all in one easy process would be a great advantage.

Best wishes,
Mark
Collapse

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly... Sep 27, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

There will always be people who either agree or disagree with suggestions made and that's a good thing because that's how ideas evolve into great ideas, through discussion. Try not to come down too heavy on the people who disagree because they might just have another angle on the idea that, through the forum and through discussion, turns it into a great idea.

My angle on this suggestion is maybe having some system like http://www.yousendit.com whereby you can upload documents and then specifically select who can download it by sending them an email link. At least that way you would have control over who would be downloading and looking at your credentials.

I think any system that would avoid people having to repeatedly send CVs, copies of degrees, transcripts, references, credentials etc but enable them to do it all in one easy process would be a great advantage.

Thanks, Mark.

I absolutely agree with you on all three points, but even if I disagreed, there are ways of saying things that will actually make them acceptable to the person to whom they are addressed. Saying things like "I don't think I'd ever do that" or "Why would you want to do something like that?", besides not being at all conducive to discussion, instantly take away from the original suggestion and force its poster to have to justify why they would like something; leaving such vapid statements uncontested would contribute to discrediting the post not only with whoever reads the thread, but also with whoever has the power to actually implement it. In my case, at least, I believe the content of my first post clearly states why I, personally, think it would be a good idea. Obviously if someone is posting a suggestion, it's because it's something they want/need on the site. It's not very professional to shoot down someone's suggestions, and you'll never see me contesting anything on the suggestions board unless it recommends a feature/function that, if implemented, would take away from the delicate balance that Henry and Co. have so carefully achieved in catering with a fair degree of equality to paying and non-paying members alike.

I really like your idea of giving a member the power to vet who could download certain files by being able to send a link to preferred prospects. Also, without detriment to the proper checks and balances, I believe that anything to make things easier and simplify processes is a great idea, not only here within our "Translator's Workplace", but in the world at large.

Bonnie

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:53
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Opinions Sep 27, 2006

Bonita Mc Donald wrote:
It's not very professional to shoot down someone's suggestions...

The problem with opinions is that there is always someone else with a different one.

Gianfranco

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really... Sep 27, 2006

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

The problem with opinions is that there is always someone else with a different one.

Gianfranco

Not so much that there is always someone else with a different one --I don't see that as a problem at all-- but that it is stated in a way that is unprofessional (belittling, arrogant, dismissive, patronizing, etc.) all of which I've seen plenty of on these forums.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A function for uploading credentials on our Profile Pages

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »