Change name/placement of the Exchange section
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2006

Now and then, I see members posting things for sale in the various subforums. Most likely, they are unaware that the Exchange section is meant for ads.
Just like me, being a Proz member for 2 years and not having a clue what Exchange was about!

I don't mind private ads in the forum, but it's a symptom that the users can't find the Exchange section, because the name is so ambiguous, and it is so well hidden in the dropdown menu - between Quick Polls and Translator Organizations.

Exchange could mean "exchange of minds", "an exchange program where translators visit each other", "some exchange program involving those translator organizations", other kinds of swapping, but very little indicating that you can actually buy or sell things here.

Proz could either change the name, or give it a more logical placement on the site, maybe within the forum rather than a separate area.

Why not simply call it Marketplace? Any other suggestions?!

/Jan

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:17
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
You're right. Oct 2, 2006

I didn't know this existed till I saw your posting.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:47
German to English
Good idea! Oct 2, 2006

Maybe there could be a box on the home page, similar to the ones for recent articles and Blue Board enquiries, showing some of the things people are selling or services they are offering.

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Thanks for this suggestion! Oct 2, 2006

I didn't know this section existed either! I agree it would be a good idea to make it a little more visible on the home page. Maybe a small box under the "Search" section, or simple an ad that appears regularly to make people aware of this service and where to find it.

As for the name, would "Private Ads" be clearer?

I think this subject would be fine for a quick poll!

BR
Marie-Céline

justin C
United States
Local time: 21:17
English
Excellent sugggestion! Oct 3, 2006

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into getting a 'recent exchange offers/requests' box up as soon as possible.

Thanks for your input!

Best regards,
Justin

justin C
United States
Local time: 21:17
English
"ProZ.com Exchange" box has been added to the home page Oct 3, 2006

Hello all,

We have added a box on the right hand side of the home page, below the KudoZ leaders box, that shows ProZ.com Exchange offers and requests posted within the past seven days.

Thanks again for the good idea!

Best regards,
Justin

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good step on the way, but a name change is better Oct 5, 2006

Wow, that was a quick improvement!
Spotting the feature box on the home page will give some leads to what hides behind the description.

But we will still see misplaced buy/sell postings in the other forums.

In the long run, Proz could still come up with a more explanatory name. We're all linguists here, so it shouldn't be too hard!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change name/placement of the Exchange section

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search