Thread poster: Lila del Cerro

Lila del Cerro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2002

This may be a very, very minor issue, but maybe it could somehow be fixed.

I\'d say about 25% of the questions I receive has already been answered and graded, some of them having been posted almost two hours earlier.

The situation goes like this: I\'m working (on line, blessed ADSL!); I hear the incoming mail buzzer; I go to the Outlook tray; I click on the answer; and when I get to the question page, the answer has already been added to the glossary.

Well, if this happens to you about 30-40 times a day...

Could somehow the system stop sending question messages once an answer has been graded?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:23
English to German
+ ...
Messages are sent before the question is graded Oct 13, 2002

Check FAQ 20.7 - although you may well receive the message after the question has been graded, that doesn\'t mean it is sent after that point in time.

What is true is that the ProZ e-mail servers have been subject to some delays recently.

Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope you're right and this is something temporary. Oct 13, 2002

I\'am a newby to ProZ (only since late July). At the beginning I was so busy learning all about the site that I did not pay any attention. I\'d say this has been getting worse over the last three weeks. So I started to take note of the time the question was posted and the time I got the message, and several times it was over two hours.

I have posted some questions, and the message reads that 900 or whatever number of ProZ have been sent the message. But since I\'m not familiar with the working of the system I thought maybe the messages were sent in batches over a certain time.

Well, as I said I hope you\'re right, since it becomes quite annoying.

Thanks a lot for your reply, and I\'ll cross my fingers.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Dear Lila Oct 14, 2002

Ralf is right

If you have already asked questions in your pairs you can see the speed of the whole system. As soon as you ask the question you get a message with \"your question\", and some time later (from minutes until hours, depending on if it is a good or a bad day), the question that every body is receiving at the same time.

BUT

in the meantime your question has been visible in the homepage and in the page where all the questions are. And lots of people never wait until they get the mail with the question, they are updating the home page every minute to see what\'s new, so they can answer and the asker can grade. But as the question has already been sent, nothing can be done to stop it.

I think this should explain what you\'re wondering about.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-14 01:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-14 01:37 ]

Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Claudia. Oct 14, 2002

Ralf and you have helped me understand how this thing works (but please let me believe Ralf is at least a little right about the servers\' slowing down). My misconception was that I thought maybe the system sent message batches at given intervals and could be stopped. You must admit it\'s annoying to stop working, see a question you can be helpful with, and then find it\'s already been KudoZed.

I suffered this problem the other way round too. I needed an answer ASAP. I posted the question hoping a certain translator (who\'s always logged in) could help me with a very specialized word. But I got the answer about three hours later, as soon as this person got the message (yet by then my client had already mailed my translation to the States).

Thanks to you both. I appreciate your taking the time to help me sort this out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email arrives after KudoZ question is closed

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search