Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
PEERS? Has \"peer judging\" devolved to a popularity contest?
Thread poster: DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 04:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Thank you, pros! Dec 21, 2001

Never heard of personal need for being accepted and peer-validated?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:14
Member (2004)
English to Italian
living in the target country... Dec 22, 2001

John said: \"By that I mean, they are neither native speakers nor live in the target country, IMHO an absolute requirement for translating into a language\".

John, I\'m surprised by your statement. A native speaker who doesn\'t live in the target country is not some kind of blidfolded hermit who has forgotten everything about his/her own country. I\'m Italian, I live in England and I go back very often. I haven\'t lost touch with my own language at all. I know the source lan
... See more
John said: \"By that I mean, they are neither native speakers nor live in the target country, IMHO an absolute requirement for translating into a language\".

John, I\'m surprised by your statement. A native speaker who doesn\'t live in the target country is not some kind of blidfolded hermit who has forgotten everything about his/her own country. I\'m Italian, I live in England and I go back very often. I haven\'t lost touch with my own language at all. I know the source language better than 98% of Italian translators living in Italy. How do I know this? I proof-read translations by Italian translators living in Italy regularly and most of the time these translations are full of laughable misunderstandings of the source language. The target language is poor and the quality is abismal. They are a nightmare. I think you should avoid such draconian statements, or maybe you live six months in England and six months in Israel...

GG
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Giovanni, you misunderstood me ... Dec 22, 2001

I said they are not native speakers, and ALSO they don\'t live in the target country. IOW, they should meet at least ONE of those two conditions. I didn\'t suggest they should meet both.
[addsig]

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Objectively "Thanks" is offensive Dec 23, 2001

For the sake of being finnickity...

Karin wrote about \"the people who \"thank\" others for \"agreeing\" to their answers\"

If we look at this objectively, receiving thanks for having expressed my opinion implies that the thanker is assuming that I am deliberately adopting some kind of partisan strategy to assist their cause. This is offensive.

I believe that no response is necessary to an \"agree\" tag, beyond, perhaps, a grunt of satisfaction, written \"grnt\".... See more
For the sake of being finnickity...

Karin wrote about \"the people who \"thank\" others for \"agreeing\" to their answers\"

If we look at this objectively, receiving thanks for having expressed my opinion implies that the thanker is assuming that I am deliberately adopting some kind of partisan strategy to assist their cause. This is offensive.

I believe that no response is necessary to an \"agree\" tag, beyond, perhaps, a grunt of satisfaction, written \"grnt\".

Respect and enjoyment

Derek
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
reply to John... Dec 23, 2001

yes, John, my mistake... surely I\'m not a hermit... I don\'t know about blindfolded...

GG

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
"Grunt!" Dec 24, 2001

Derek,

I find nothing offensive in thanking an \"agree\" tag. But then again, de gustibus. Some research involved, you get some feedback.. why not thanking someone who acknowledges your good piece of research?

I certainly don\'t know how this works in your country but in South Europe we thank someone who agrees with us. Partisans\' blood I would say (?). Nevertheless we could try and learn some healthy Northern manner like \"grunt!\". Maybe after two
... See more
Derek,

I find nothing offensive in thanking an \"agree\" tag. But then again, de gustibus. Some research involved, you get some feedback.. why not thanking someone who acknowledges your good piece of research?

I certainly don\'t know how this works in your country but in South Europe we thank someone who agrees with us. Partisans\' blood I would say (?). Nevertheless we could try and learn some healthy Northern manner like \"grunt!\". Maybe after two or three beers.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Flavio
Collapse

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Derek...grnt, grnt... Dec 24, 2001

I will close this sub-thread now because I think I was thoroughly misunderstood... I think you twigged what I was saying though. A grnt is really all that is required, if at all.

Merry Christmas to all.

Grnt.

K.

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Nit picking for fun Dec 25, 2001

Greetings Flavio. Do you live in ancient Rome by any chance? If so, perhaps you would give my regards to a long missing colleague named Francesco, who comes from the same epoch of history.

In the meantime, at the risk of being tiresome, I would like to advance the \"no thanks\" cause marginally in the mildest and friendliest of tones.

Assume a scenario thus

Scene: it starts raining:

I: \"It is raining\"

You: \"So it is\"

I: Thank you... See more
Greetings Flavio. Do you live in ancient Rome by any chance? If so, perhaps you would give my regards to a long missing colleague named Francesco, who comes from the same epoch of history.

In the meantime, at the risk of being tiresome, I would like to advance the \"no thanks\" cause marginally in the mildest and friendliest of tones.

Assume a scenario thus

Scene: it starts raining:

I: Thank you

Now, would this or would this not merit at a slightly preoccupied sidelong glance in my direction?

On the contrary

Scene: The weather remains fine:

I: Thank you

Now all is logical. You need not cast any sidelong glances because you know you have done me a favour by supporting my illusion.

Erm, where does that leave me? Totally off the track I suppose (as usual)!

Total Respect

Derek

Collapse

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Happy new year, anyway Jan 2, 2002

Have a happy new year, Derek

Flavio

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
acknowledgement Jan 7, 2002

I agree with Chris, I also feel that posting a \"Thank-you\" is slightly \"naff\" but I believe an acknowledgement of some kind is simply common courtesy.

Sam D (X)
Sam D (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bravo Flavio Jan 11, 2002

I certainly don\'t know how this works in your country but in South Europe we thank someone who agrees with us. Partisans\' blood I would say (?). Nevertheless we could try and learn some healthy Northern manner like \"grunt!\". Maybe after two or three beers.

Bravo Flavio!

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Absolutely Jan 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-07 09:52, dashgbr wrote:

I agree with Chris, I also feel that posting a \"Thank-you\" is slightly \"naff\" but I believe an acknowledgement of some kind is simply common courtesy.

It is naff, but if you\'re on the site and someone has agreed, why not say thanks? It\'s only polite, after all.

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank God We Are Human and Not Automatons Jan 22, 2002

Right on, Werner!

Even when I encounter vitriolic or vehement disagreement, I am content. At least I partake, then, of the human element.

And I am very much pleased with a human response anytime!

As you well know, you and I agree on many things...and yet disagree on others. What we disagree about does not invalidate our respect for one another at all. Quite to the contrary. It adds a bit of seasoning to the wonderous stewpot of our i
... See more
Right on, Werner!

Even when I encounter vitriolic or vehement disagreement, I am content. At least I partake, then, of the human element.

And I am very much pleased with a human response anytime!

As you well know, you and I agree on many things...and yet disagree on others. What we disagree about does not invalidate our respect for one another at all. Quite to the contrary. It adds a bit of seasoning to the wonderous stewpot of our individual experiences. And I am always open to new ideas and fresh approaches.

And I have never lost the appreciation of how simple courtesies enrich our existence.

Rich

Quote:

On 2001-12-13 20:07, AbacusTrans wrote:

Quote:

On 2001-12-13 15:30, KGartshore wrote:

are the people who \"thank\" others for \"agreeing\" to their answers. That must be the height of preposterousness and evokes a vision of the answerer sitting at the PC, waiting greedily for some backslapping, clicking the \"refresh\" button every 2 minutes. It\'a absolutely pathetic and gives us some idea of why people answer - to gain some sort of validation from their peers.

Are we supposed to be cold automatons? There is no time for a simple thank-you? People don\'t just sit there feverishly refreshing their screens; peer comments are sent out by e-mail, and if you feel like it, you can reply. And saying Thank You is the least thing anyone can do.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-22 09:10 ]Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 22:14
German to English
+ ...
Quite right, Rich Jan 22, 2002

Saying \"Thank you\" has never hurt anyone - or has it?

AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreeing on Agrees Feb 16, 2002

I\'m all for saying \'thank you\' and according to my Spanish/Catalan friends I thank everybody too much for everything but...

I have never thanked anyone for an agree because as far as I\'m concerned an agree is to help the asker decide which answer to go for and not to compliment my answer. I would consider a \'thank you\', if someone pointed out a mistake or actually complimented me on the brilliance of my answer or research! (hasn\'t happened yet... ...
See more
I\'m all for saying \'thank you\' and according to my Spanish/Catalan friends I thank everybody too much for everything but...

I have never thanked anyone for an agree because as far as I\'m concerned an agree is to help the asker decide which answer to go for and not to compliment my answer. I would consider a \'thank you\', if someone pointed out a mistake or actually complimented me on the brilliance of my answer or research! (hasn\'t happened yet... !)

Am I mistaken in thinking that the purpose of the \'agree, neutral, disagree\' options is to guide the asker???

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PEERS? Has \"peer judging\" devolved to a popularity contest?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »