Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
PEERS? Has \"peer judging\" devolved to a popularity contest?
Thread poster: DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2001

Excuse me, but it appears to me there is a lot of \"boot licking\" going on! No matter what language pairs or communities...it is simply so patently clear that one hand washes the other! Even if the response to a query is very poor, if it happens to be one of the \"favored\" ones..one who is \"loved\" by those who manage to prevail.. then, it is foolish to offer any other response, no matter how well documented or argued! Can you spell \"clique\"? I knew you could!

Give me a
... See more
Excuse me, but it appears to me there is a lot of \"boot licking\" going on! No matter what language pairs or communities...it is simply so patently clear that one hand washes the other! Even if the response to a query is very poor, if it happens to be one of the \"favored\" ones..one who is \"loved\" by those who manage to prevail.. then, it is foolish to offer any other response, no matter how well documented or argued! Can you spell \"clique\"? I knew you could!

Give me a break!

Has \"peer judging\" devolved to a popularity contest?

Rich

P.S. The \"cult of the individual\" triumphs once again!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-18 02:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-18 02:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-18 02:44 ]
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
poor unpopular Doc Nov 18, 2001

Well, Doc, you just gotta start polishing dem apples. Being in the academia yo\'self, you should know the usual twicks. Don\'t tell me your nose was never brown?

I noticed the corny mutual admiration a long time ago. The reciprocal back-slapping is funny most of the time, annoying at best. Just gotta ignore and aim for serenity. Try Ashtanga.

I sometimes wish someone would misbehave yet again, lashing out at everyone without the proper degrees and anyone
... See more
Well, Doc, you just gotta start polishing dem apples. Being in the academia yo\'self, you should know the usual twicks. Don\'t tell me your nose was never brown?

I noticed the corny mutual admiration a long time ago. The reciprocal back-slapping is funny most of the time, annoying at best. Just gotta ignore and aim for serenity. Try Ashtanga.

I sometimes wish someone would misbehave yet again, lashing out at everyone without the proper degrees and anyone caught at the wrong end of the native language tandem, so that we\'d see combat and verbal pyrotechnics, and yet again see the true colors of a chameloeon. And perhaps hope that Bay Area management would finally listen...

If you think I\'m being elliptical, trying \'squaring\' it, you\'d be in the receiving end of a windy oval loud mouth.

ps: have you seen the list of colorful characters who intend to attend (wow, isn\'t that called aliteration?) the Toronto powwow?! That\'s a happening I won\'t miss for anyone\'s apple. Looking forward to some fireworks.

pps: Too bad only a select few appreciate the supreme wit that you display in your answers. If it\'s worth any dime in your candy store, you never fail to provide microseconds of amusement on my part.

Collapse

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Typical Marcus Maladroit Basting Nov 18, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-11-18 19:49, marcushm wrote:

Well, Doc, you just gotta start polishing dem apples. Being in the academia yo\'self, you should know the usual twicks. Don\'t tell me your nose was never brown?......

[et cetera et cetera et cetera

edited for brevity, thank God! What a stretch... YAWN..YAWN...YAWN...feel a fit of fever or fervor coming on]

Hey Marcus! Did anyone ever attempt to teach or preach within the helter-skelter of your fantastic bombast that economy of words is a plus... maybe even a virtue...or do you charge per prolix prosaic paraphrastic paragraph? (a litter ration... Cash for trash? Mind your \"p\'s\" and \"q\'s\" into the bargain)!

Rich (properly Badly \"Mal-edicted\" ...yet insufferable, evanescent, and, betimes, pleasant :>)

P.S.In happy memory of Mr. Malabad\'s attempt at a translation of a Spanish chemistry query, please see http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&eid_c=18562&id=69028&keyword=coupling

[by Marcus Malabad] Jul 22

nitro-copulation oxidative

I found several links for nitrogen oxidative in chromatography sites, e.g.:

http://www.petroleum.co.uk/tm250.htm

www.epa.gov/emap/html/pubs/docs/otherdocs/DELAWARE.PDF

The copulation part seems to be a neologism, so find creative ways to insert it. I\'d go for the above answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other pros opinions of this response:

disagree DR. RICHARD BAVRY: I beg your pardon, but this has nothing to do with copulation!!!

So there you have it! Res ipse loquitur! Ha ha ha!

Rich (not even a dark-horse candidate when it comes to a KudoZ-arity contest)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-19 07:22 ]

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
to be brief Nov 19, 2001

I kinda liked the copulation answer

a bad case of fingers running way ahead of the brain

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 04:32
German to English
+ ...
It seems so Nov 19, 2001

Not too long ago, one ProZ member (wink, wink), ended his KudoZ answer by thanking the asker for sending the cheque in the mail. So, yes, this kind of thing is \"annoying at best\" (wink, wink), but no skin off my nose.

If these people want to operate like that, that\'s fine - we live in a free society.

I do not answer questions for the sake of getting points, so I don\'t really care. Of course, I am fully aware of these \"peer dynamics\", but if they wa
... See more
Not too long ago, one ProZ member (wink, wink), ended his KudoZ answer by thanking the asker for sending the cheque in the mail. So, yes, this kind of thing is \"annoying at best\" (wink, wink), but no skin off my nose.

If these people want to operate like that, that\'s fine - we live in a free society.

I do not answer questions for the sake of getting points, so I don\'t really care. Of course, I am fully aware of these \"peer dynamics\", but if they want to award points to each other, let them.

[Nice aside on \"copulation\", Doc! Well received]
Collapse

H.A. (X)
H.A. (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not the cult of the individual, but the crowd instinct Nov 19, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-18 02:19, RICH wrote:

The \"cult of the individual\" triumphs once again!

Dr. Bavry,

It\'s not the cult of the individual -- it\'s the crowd instinct, which \"is as fundamental as the passion to survive\" (Elias Canetti, Crowds and Power (1960)). Trying to change a crowd is futile, but standing up against any sort of emotional abuse, no matter who is being abused -... See more
Quote:

On 2001-11-18 02:19, RICH wrote:

The \"cult of the individual\" triumphs once again!

Dr. Bavry,

It\'s not the cult of the individual -- it\'s the crowd instinct, which \"is as fundamental as the passion to survive\" (Elias Canetti, Crowds and Power (1960)). Trying to change a crowd is futile, but standing up against any sort of emotional abuse, no matter who is being abused - you or another person - is a matter of one\'s self-respect. We cannot control what other people do or say, but we

can control how we react on what they do or say.

Best regards,

Hafiza ▲ Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could we please use this forum for its intended purpose? Nov 20, 2001

This forum is entitled \"Suggestions ... for improving this site\" and I don\'t see any in this exchange.

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestion for Mr. Zuber Nov 20, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-20 05:28, Jon Zuber wrote:

This forum is entitled \"Suggestions ... for improving this site\" and I don\'t see any in this exchange.

So sorry that you are irritated...but this is a \"forum\"...and you are perfectly free to pop in your two cents elsewhere if you so choose or become enraptured with any other \"exchanges\" that meet your most strict demands.

... See more
Quote:

On 2001-11-20 05:28, Jon Zuber wrote:

So sorry that you are irritated...but this is a \"forum\"...and you are perfectly free to pop in your two cents elsewhere if you so choose or become enraptured with any other \"exchanges\" that meet your most strict demands.

It would be one hell of a joke if a \"forum\" lived or died by your Procrustean proscriptions!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-20 08:55 ]Collapse

Deolinda Neves (X)
Deolinda Neves (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you to Richard and Marc Nov 22, 2001

You\'ve made my day. You two really cracked me up. I think I\'ll skip tomorrow\'s therapy session. I\'m not sure how this heated exchange contributed to the betterment of this site, but it sure contributed to my well being. As long as you stay within the \"rules of etiquette\" you have my blessings. Thanks.
[addsig]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
A Contest? Dec 4, 2001

Richard,

I agree with you that sometimes some \"agrees\" seem to be a sort of mutual support, but generally speaking I don\'t see anything \"sinister\".

I normally add my two cents next to my \"agrees\", but sometimes I have nothing better to propose, so I just click on ok. I agree on the proposed answer, but do not vote for the proposer. It is nobody\'s fault, if very active colleagues get a lot of \"agrees\": they are just there first, sometimes you are there first, sometim
... See more
Richard,

I agree with you that sometimes some \"agrees\" seem to be a sort of mutual support, but generally speaking I don\'t see anything \"sinister\".

I normally add my two cents next to my \"agrees\", but sometimes I have nothing better to propose, so I just click on ok. I agree on the proposed answer, but do not vote for the proposer. It is nobody\'s fault, if very active colleagues get a lot of \"agrees\": they are just there first, sometimes you are there first, sometimes another one, especially if it is a field you both work in or the three or four of you...

What do you propose? Not to peer grade? Don\'t you think that this might be worse? I think we would fail to absolve what we were supposed to do, accepting volountarily to join a KudoZ question, that is to try to help the asker choose for the best answer (according to his/her judging, of course).

A forum is supposed to be an open place, where people exchange their opinions, even in hot discussions, but where any attack on a personal basis is avoided, otherwise it would just be a trial court.

Regards,

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 09:32
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Well done, Rich! Dec 6, 2001

The irritated and extremely irritating people who made personal attacks on you as a result of your posting, should be ashemaed of themselves; reasonable people should not waste any more time worrying about them.

The Kudoz backslapping has become very tedious. I wonder, however, if there is another aspect related to it: people posting replies to queries in languages they do not appear to be qualified to answer. By that I mean, they are neither native speakers nor live in the target coun
... See more
The irritated and extremely irritating people who made personal attacks on you as a result of your posting, should be ashemaed of themselves; reasonable people should not waste any more time worrying about them.

The Kudoz backslapping has become very tedious. I wonder, however, if there is another aspect related to it: people posting replies to queries in languages they do not appear to be qualified to answer. By that I mean, they are neither native speakers nor live in the target country, IMHO an absolute requirement for translating into a language.

Yesterday, several people persuaded an asker to accept an answer (about the education system in Britain) that was simply wrong. In fact, all the suggestions were wrong, and most of them ludicrously so. None of the responders seemed to have any familiarity with the topic. AND - they all specified complete confidence in their replies! What\'s the point of all this?

Cheers,

John Kinory
[addsig]
Collapse

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:32
German to English
+ ...
My personal soapbox... Dec 13, 2001

are the people who \"thank\" others for \"agreeing\" to their answers. That must be the height of preposterousness and evokes a vision of the answerer sitting at the PC, waiting greedily for some backslapping, clicking the \"refresh\" button every 2 minutes. It\'a absolutely pathetic and gives us some idea of why people answer - to gain some sort of validation from their peers.

German to English
+ ...
The point is ... Dec 13, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-06 17:58, Yoni wrote:

The irritated and extremely irritating people who made personal attacks on you as a result of your posting, should be ashamed of themselves; reasonable people should not waste any more time worrying about them.

[...] By that I mean, they are neither native speakers nor live in the target country, IMHO an absolute requirement for translating into a language.

[...... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-06 17:58, Yoni wrote:

The irritated and extremely irritating people who made personal attacks on you as a result of your posting, should be ashamed of themselves; reasonable people should not waste any more time worrying about them.

[...] By that I mean, they are neither native speakers nor live in the target country, IMHO an absolute requirement for translating into a language.

[...] What\'s the point of all this?

Cheers,

John Kinory

What\'s the point? Getting as many points as possible in the belief that they will somehow make up for lack of education, training, qualifications, experience, credentials, etc. Collapse

German to English
+ ...
What? No time for courtesy? Dec 13, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-13 15:30, KGartshore wrote:

are the people who \"thank\" others for \"agreeing\" to their answers. That must be the height of preposterousness and evokes a vision of the answerer sitting at the PC, waiting greedily for some backslapping, clicking the \"refresh\" button every 2 minutes. It\'a absolutely pathetic and gives us some idea of why people answer - to gain some sort of validation from their peers.
... See more
Quote:

Are we supposed to be cold automatons? There is no time for a simple thank-you? People don\'t just sit there feverishly refreshing their screens; peer comments are sent out by e-mail, and if you feel like it, you can reply. And saying Thank You is the least thing anyone can do. ▲ Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:32
German to English
+ ...
re thanks Dec 20, 2001

Quote:

... See more
Quote:

Some people need \"peer validation\". It\'s an animal thing. Personally, I feel that the \"thanks\" people write is often more of an acknowledgement that there is somebody else out there rather than an I\'ll-do-the-same-for-you-someday kind of thing. ▲ Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PEERS? Has \"peer judging\" devolved to a popularity contest?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »