UK and US English
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
German to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2002

Hello,

The following occurred to me in the middle of a financial translation the other day, when I had to pick the brains of many translators out there. Would it be possible to include UK and US English options as well as / instead of just English? So, German -> UK English, French -> US English etc.

Obviously UK and American English terms are sometimes different (tap versus faucet, pavement and sidewalk etc.) and answers referring to US English in the case of my UK-based financial translation would have been incorrect (so the extent that they did not use the standard terminology used in the UK, although correct in the US).

Choosing the option \"English\" would then include both US and UK English versions.

Thanks,

Joanne

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:16
German to English
+ ...
impractical Oct 15, 2002

Hi Joanne,

To be honest, I don\'t think it would be practical to do that. Despite the differences between these two variants of English, they are still essentially the same language. I think it should be down to people asking the questions to say what particular variant they are looking for and to the people providing answers to point out whether they are using terminology specific to a particular region. The flaw in this is the assumption that they are aware of the differences.

And where do you draw the line? Do you also include Irish English, Scottish English (because of their unique legal system, for example?), Carribean English, Australian English, etc., etc.

Also, if you did post a question to a subdivision of English, you might see a significant fall in responses because then people would have to subscribe to another \"language\" pair. This problem occurs already with Dutch / Flemish (and is a hobbyhorse of mine at the moment ). For some strange reason, the list of languages used by ProZ includes Flemish as a separate language when it is in fact only a regional (Belgian) variant, comparable to Scottish English, say.

Let\'s face it, you don\'t have to be Scottish to know that a cleg is a horsefly, a sheriff is a judge and that Arthur\'s Seat is not your Uncle Arthur\'s favourite armchair

Sorry if this post comes across as unstructured, but it\'s just a few random thoughts on the matter as they occurred to me.

Chris

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:16
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Suggest posters out themselves more often (US) Oct 15, 2002

People could also mention their preferences within the question field. Many people already take the trouble to indicate their affiliation in one way or another. I\'m sure it would be interesting and helpful if it happened more often.

I wouldn\'t want a forced \"UK\"/\"US\" segregation (\" \" just to use the 2 short abbreviations). The variety of replies to some questions is a fascinating -sometimes alarming- aspect of ProZ often commented on here and elsewhere.

Just my 2 (US) cents.

rkillings  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
French to English
Not that simple Oct 16, 2002

In some contexts, the English term you want will be neither US nor UK but something else -- for example, the IAS term (in international accounting standards) or the Eurospeak term (in official English translations of EU documents). It\'s up to the asker to specify the target audience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK and US English

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search