Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:12
English to French
+ ...
If we take KudoZ for an example... Oct 24, 2006

I don't think incentives would be a good idea. Take a look at the KudoZ example - incentives have caused at least as much trouble as they have caused benefits for users.

I would, however, make this resource semi-private, which means I would not let the whole wide world have access to it. I would restrict the WikiKB to users of the site, and even, to users with a completed profile - maybe to the level proposed by the current profile updater. I don't mind contributing without any ince
... See more
I don't think incentives would be a good idea. Take a look at the KudoZ example - incentives have caused at least as much trouble as they have caused benefits for users.

I would, however, make this resource semi-private, which means I would not let the whole wide world have access to it. I would restrict the WikiKB to users of the site, and even, to users with a completed profile - maybe to the level proposed by the current profile updater. I don't mind contributing without any incentives - I do in the forum, so why not in the WikiKB? - but I'd rather contribute what I can to people who also are likely to contribute. Now, an agency browsing the net who doesn't use ProZ is not much likely to contribute, whereas they could find useful info in WikiKB all the same.

What do you think?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Openly accessible, limited editable Oct 25, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I would, however, make this resource semi-private, which means I would not let the whole wide world have access to it.

I favour an approach that makes the content visible to all web site visitors, but editing rights should be restricted to Proz.com members who score 9/9 of the required profile updater elements. In fact, I might go as far as to say that element 10 (About me) and element 15 (CV/résumé upload) also be required, but some might disagree and say that's too restrictive -- what say you?

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
ProS and ConS Nov 27, 2006

I find the idea really good and as I feel I should contribute, this what I could gather right now:

Proz.com forums are very well structured, and it should not be difficult to gather all forum posts about a subject thorugh smart use of keywords. Yet, this process is often extremely time consuming, and finally it should be great to have the results ready for use on a wiki site. [Pro]

It would be great to give more visibility to the most useful and important forum posts. [
... See more
I find the idea really good and as I feel I should contribute, this what I could gather right now:

Proz.com forums are very well structured, and it should not be difficult to gather all forum posts about a subject thorugh smart use of keywords. Yet, this process is often extremely time consuming, and finally it should be great to have the results ready for use on a wiki site. [Pro]

It would be great to give more visibility to the most useful and important forum posts. [Pro]

A wiki should have the advantage of summarization, however I think that most of the formus issues are not really resolved within the forums, hence almost every single issue could receive contrasting summarizations. [Con]

Most Proz.com members are very busy, and time is really the primary source of income for a busy translator. Considered the effort needed, rewarding contributors could be the right choice. On the other side, most of us non English natives, could find it more difficult contributing to an English language wiki. [Con?]

Looking at the amazing results of the wiki experience on the web, I am sure that this will be an extremely interesting venture [Pro]

[Edited at 2006-11-27 19:09]

[Edited at 2006-11-27 19:10]
Collapse

joecole
joecole
English to Chinese
wikitype knowledge base Nov 27, 2006

I agree that a wiki is definitely a very interesting venture. As a newbie (and a wiki lover) I immediately thought of a wiki when I started translating,

I have just checked out wikiwords and it looks great. I actually have something to ask everyone. Do you guys think its a little complicated for a wiki newbie to start hacking on the entries?

Can we make it more interactive and user-friendly?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wikitype Knowledge Base - let's create one from previous posts in the forums

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »