https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/62144-kudoz_questions_display_change_proposal.html

KudoZ Questions display change proposal
Thread poster: jccantrell
jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:09
Member (2005)
German to English
Dec 21, 2006

Hi folks.

I spend a bit of time looking over the Kudoz questions and answering some.

I have found that the setting box at the top of the display might be improved if, after a member has made selections and saved them, the box is reduced to, say, just a button. This would provide a lot of valuable real estate for displaying the questions and reduce the clutter at the top of the screen. This would also eliminate forcing users to scroll down past static information to st
... See more
Hi folks.

I spend a bit of time looking over the Kudoz questions and answering some.

I have found that the setting box at the top of the display might be improved if, after a member has made selections and saved them, the box is reduced to, say, just a button. This would provide a lot of valuable real estate for displaying the questions and reduce the clutter at the top of the screen. This would also eliminate forcing users to scroll down past static information to start reading questions.

The button could then be pressed to bring back the original display allowing the user to change the settings. Saving them again would bring back the button.

What say, Henry, any chance you (the regal "You," of course) will look into this?

Yours,
cantrell

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-21 16:18]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please, explain Dec 21, 2006

I don`t understand your proposal.

Please, could you explain further?

Tnx.

jccantrell
United States
Member (2005)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Further explanation Dec 21, 2006

If you go to Kudoz -> Answer questions, there appears a large box with information such as

Languages
Fields
Category
etc.

I think that, once the user has set these preferences in this box, the box should disappear until needed, perhaps changed into a small button labeled "Preferences" or so.

Then, the space used by this box could be better used for the questions.

Is this sufficient?

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
not sure Dec 21, 2006

I still don`t understand.
What you are suggesting seems to be the way it is currently working.

You set up your preferences only once now, and that`s it.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:09
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Click on "Basic Search Mode" Dec 21, 2006

Hi there,

Just click on "Basic Search Mode" under the big box, and it will become considerably smaller, only displaying language and field options and occupying less space

Steffen

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
French to English
Seconded Dec 21, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

I still don`t understand.
What you are suggesting seems to be the way it is currently working.

You set up your preferences only once now, and that`s it.

What JJC is proposing is that, once you have set your preferences, that large box is no longer displayed.

Instead, it is replaced with a button labelled, for example "Preferences...", which, when clicked, will cause the big box to be displayed again, so you can change your preferences.

A very sensible suggestion, IMHO!

While we're at it, it might be nice if, in that big box, there were 2 options:
a) change preferences and SAVE settings (button as it is now)
b) change preferences without saving - just for a quick look at the questions in other pairs/monolingual.

Edit: Just tried Basic Search mode - very nice, but on my browser, at least (Firefox), it doesn't show the banner (hence, no direct route to 'home' or any other menu options), nor the stuff down the left hand side....

[Edited at 2006-12-21 17:29]

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Turn "Float this page" off to display menus Dec 21, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Edit: Just tried Basic Search mode - very nice, but on my browser, at least (Firefox), it doesn't show the banner (hence, no direct route to 'home' or any other menu options), nor the stuff down the left hand side....

Hi Charlie,

You need to go back to Advanced Search Mode and untick/turn off the "Float this page" feature at the bottom of the big box. Then the page will show all usual menus around the box both in advanced and basic mode. This works in IE and Firefox.

Steffen

[Edited at 2006-12-21 18:06]

jccantrell
United States
Member (2005)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Basic search mode with float off works much better Dec 21, 2006

Thanks to Steffan. Using both the 'Basic Search' and turning page float off improves the situation to a very great degree.

Just goes to show that User Interface is a lost art. (Who woulda thought to go to 'Basic Search Mode' to decrease the size of the window? Not me, at least.)

This may placate me for the time being, we will see.

Thanks folks.

Steffen Walter
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Somewhat counterintuitive indeed Dec 21, 2006

jccantrell wrote:
Just goes to show that User Interface is a lost art. (Who woulda thought to go to 'Basic Search Mode' to decrease the size of the window? Not me, at least.)

I agree that this is somewhat counterintuitive indeed. We may have to think of more descriptive terminology here. I'll raise the issue with staff.

Steffen

Antoinette Verburg
Antoinette Verburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Reducing the size of the window without losing settings Dec 21, 2006

Hi all,

Perhaps I have misunderstood some of the things that have been mentioned in this topic... but when I go to the Basic Search Mode, the list of
* questions that may offend
* questions from homework or test translations
* questions from non-translators
* questions directed to those who meet certain criteria
becomes unticked, whereas I would like it to remain ticked.
Is there any way to reduce the size of the window without losing these par
... See more
Hi all,

Perhaps I have misunderstood some of the things that have been mentioned in this topic... but when I go to the Basic Search Mode, the list of
Is there any way to reduce the size of the window without losing these particular settings?
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Exactly the same problem, Antoinette Dec 21, 2006

Antoinette Verburg wrote:

Hi all,

Is there any way to reduce the size of the window without losing these particular settings?

I've been having this problem for over 6 months now.
- I've been sending out support tickets since July 2 - no luck so far.
- I mentioned it on the forum, too ( http://www.proz.com/topic/56520 ),
- I even had a moderator submit a support ticket on my behalf - still nothing.

As it is now, I have to use the Advanced search mode all the time and the [bleep] box is taking up 3/4 of my screen. This is really annoying...
Nice to see I'm not alone. Maybe when there's more of us, suffering, someone will finally hear our voice...

[Edited at 2006-12-21 21:50]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I wonder why you use this box at all Dec 22, 2006

I only ever look at the list of most recent Kudoz-Questions on the front page, and for older questions, which have disappeared from it, I use the link to more questions. What advantage has this "big box"?
Cheers
Heinrich

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
The big box Dec 22, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

What advantage has this "big box"?

Without it, I'm not able to see ALL questions (i.e. those which my offend, asked by non-translators etc.). Only when I have this big box (Advanced search mode), with all the options ticked
(* questions that may offend
* questions directed to those who meet certain criteria),
can I see ALL questions. Otherwise, when I switch to the smaller box (Basic search mode), these questions disappear from the list. When I switch back to Advanced Search mode, I see that the options which I had ticked have not been saved. Somehow going from Advanced to Basic Search mode makes the options become unticked

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ Questions display change proposal

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »