Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:29
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 3, 2007

Dear ProZ staff,

Could you please make the "This question was closed without grading" notice more visible? For example, the background color could be changed to red, the “answer” function could be blocked or when hitting the “answer” button, a notification window could pop up.

The reason for this request is that as things are right now, the message “This question was closed without grading” is really difficult to spot and it has already happened several times to me (and apparently to others as well - see: http://www.proz.com/post/492720) that I answered questions that had already beeen closed by the asker.

Thanks in advance!

Olaf

Direct link Reply with quote

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:29
English to Polish
Agree Feb 3, 2007

This problem has already been brought up many times - no success so far. But I still hope something will be done about it.
Please, ProZ.com Staff, please...

[Edited at 2007-02-03 20:02]

Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 01:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
It will certainly save a lot of time Feb 3, 2007

... devoted to research and thinking over an answer to a question which has already been closed. The present format very often leads to some four-letter words muttered after one finds out he/she has spent time and energy (and money for the Internet) in vain.

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe this time ...? Feb 3, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/63986

pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
not a good idea this Feb 3, 2007

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

For example, the background color could be changed to red, the “answer” function could be blocked or when hitting the “answer” button, a notification window could pop up.

Thanks in advance!

Olaf

Blocking the answer button is the last thing this site needs IMO. I for one have supplied answers to questions that had been closed months or years earlier, whether with or without selecting a reply, just for the sake of posteriority because either the answer selected was off target or it was ok but I had an even better idea. But then, it does not worry me one bit that my efforts will not translate into points.
Worry not, chances are your effort will not go to waste. Someone looking for the same term some day will hopefully benefit from it.
Cheers, PJ

Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I sometimes do that, too: Feb 3, 2007

[/quote]

Blocking the answer button is the last thing this site needs IMO. I for one have supplied answers to questions that had been closed months or years earlier, whether with or without selecting a reply, just for the sake of posteriority because either the answer selected was off target or it was ok but I had an even better idea. But then, it does not worry me one bit that my efforts will not translate into points.
Worry not, chances are your effort will not go to waste. Someone looking for the same term some day will hopefully benefit from it.
Cheers, PJ [/quote]

Or, I give an agree to what is the best answer in my opinion, and that wasn't chosen by the asker.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
The answer function doesn't have to be blocked Feb 4, 2007

pidzej wrote:

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

when hitting the “answer” button, a notification window could pop up.

Blocking the answer button is the last thing this site needs IMO.

All that's needed is a little notification line similar to the one that comes up when you try to submit a second answer to the same Kudoz question ("You have already submitted an answer to this question..."), alerting the answerer that the question has already been closed.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alert answerers before they do the work Feb 4, 2007

Nesrin wrote:
All that's needed is a little notification line similar to the one that comes up when you try to submit a second answer to the same Kudoz question ("You have already submitted an answer to this question..."), alerting the answerer that the question has already been closed.

Actually, this wouldn't help in the case when the potential answerer doesn't notice that the question is closed, and goes to a lot of effort to research a good answer. S/he would only realize that the question is closed upon submitting.

Nevertheless, I agree wholeheartedly with "pidzej" that efforts aren't wasted when answers are posted to a closed question. When I find a term I'm looking for in KudoZ and I'm faced with choosing the best option, I pay more attention to the comments and references than to which term the asker selected.

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notification window Feb 4, 2007

Yes Nesrin, the notification window would be the best solution! I also agree with pidzej and Anne that blocking the answer function would not be such a good idea after all because more answers are always good for the glossary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please make the "Closed without grading" notice more visible

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search