Could multiple Kudoz postings be deleted automatically? (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Endre Both
Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:21
English to German
Dec 10, 2002

The number of Kudoz questions erroneously re-posted several times seems to have increased recently. Those who routinely scan the questions know how annoying this is. I know it is quite easy to post a question several times, so it is bound to happen regularly.

Would it be very difficult to apply a filter that prevents the exact same question to be asked several times in a row? Scanning the questions of the last one or two hours should be sufficient, no need to check the entir
... See more
The number of Kudoz questions erroneously re-posted several times seems to have increased recently. Those who routinely scan the questions know how annoying this is. I know it is quite easy to post a question several times, so it is bound to happen regularly.

Would it be very difficult to apply a filter that prevents the exact same question to be asked several times in a row? Scanning the questions of the last one or two hours should be sufficient, no need to check the entire database, of course.

My inbox is aching for relief...

Endre

EB Communications

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 20:14]
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:21
German to English
+ ...
Great idea, Endre! Dec 10, 2002

I find it especially irritating when people answer the second (or third, etc.) question, which then becomes \"unsquashable\". At least, without stepping on someone\'s toes

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The same questions posted within minutes of each other Dec 10, 2002

usually arise because of some failure of the program to respond, prompting the asker to click \"submit\" twice or thrice. I think such errors may be detected by computer: that would eliminate one of the needs for human squash power...

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Automatic deletion Dec 11, 2002

Hello Endre,

good suggestion. I guess that sometimes these problems arise, when the internet connection is bad and the users concerned think that their question has not arrived.

I will add a function which checks whether the same question has already been posted before (same languages, same term, same content, same field).

Hermann

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Hermann Dec 11, 2002

As mentioned by Parrot, the most likely reason is that the web page \"freezes\" for a moment (or several, depending on the load on Proz servers ), which induces the asker to click on the submit button a few more times.

I know nothing about the workings of Proz\'s databases in detail, but I think it should be sufficient to verify the following:

- asker

- term

- language pair

- t
... See more
As mentioned by Parrot, the most likely reason is that the web page \"freezes\" for a moment (or several, depending on the load on Proz servers ), which induces the asker to click on the submit button a few more times.

I know nothing about the workings of Proz\'s databases in detail, but I think it should be sufficient to verify the following:

- asker

- term

- language pair

- time frame (maybe 1-2 hours)

Since the context field is not a simple text field (does MySql have \"memo\" fields?), it might be preferable not to check it for performance reasons. But you know more of that than I do.

Thanks a lot for embracing this.

Endre

EB Communications
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Job already done Dec 11, 2002

Hi Endre,

I have already finished this job a few hours ago. Have you seen any performance problems?

Hermann

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Dec 11, 2002

You\'re quick as the breeze, Hermann. I haven\'t noticed any performance problems (apart from a short unavailability around 5 pm GMT).

Thanks anyway, this is a milestone in making Kudoz more user-friendly .

Endre

EB Communications

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could multiple Kudoz postings be deleted automatically? (Mod:'done')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »