Thread poster: Gillian Scheibelein

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:49
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2007

Maybe this has already been discussed or is already possible, but a search didn't reveal anything.

Would it be possible to customise which forum topics we would like displayed on our home page? Ever since Trados released their latest upgrade, there have been a large number of Trados support posts. At present, 8 of the 20 visible posts relate to Trados, 2 to Deja Vu, 1 to Wordfast. All of which are of little or no interest to me. Posts that I would like to follow are pushed off the page too quickly.

Regards,
Jill

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Good idea Apr 25, 2007

I wish that would come true.
Cheers
Heinrich

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it would be useful Apr 25, 2007

Thanks for sharing this suggestion!

For me it would be interesting too, particularly as far as technical issues are concerned.

Ruth @ MW

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 01:49
SITE STAFF
Interesting idea Apr 25, 2007

Thanks for an interesting idea!

I imagine a way to select your preferences to display threads in the home page at a forum level.

For instance you could decide that you don't want in your home page notification of threads opened in the forums "Subtitling", " CAT Tools Technical Help" and " Translators Associations".

I have added this to the to-dos list.
Regards,
Enrique

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Really, a very good idea Apr 25, 2007

Thanks, Gillian, for coming up with this

And thanks for a quick response and consideration, Enrique.

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 25, 2007

Enrique wrote:
For instance you could decide that you don't want in your home page notification of threads opened in the forums "Subtitling", " CAT Tools Technical Help" and " Translators Associations".
I have added this to the to-dos list.
Regards,
Enrique

That's great Enrique, this issue has been bugging me for some time. There would probably be more replies to forums if the threads of interest were visible on the home page for longer. For instance, I don't always have time to answer immediately, and then often forget about answering later on because the thread has disappeared - out of sight, out of mind.

Cheers,
Jill

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:49
English to French
+ ...
Agree Apr 25, 2007

This would not be so important for me as it may be for others (I read pretty much everything when I have time), but since it's fairly easy to implement - why not?

Good idea!

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Good idea indeed! Apr 27, 2007

and Enrique,

Put in top of your to-do-list

"ProZ.com: Individual flexibility!"

Mats

Jon Peck  Identity Verified
English
Feature implemented May 1, 2007

All,

Based on your suggestions, I've added the ability to "Select forums to be listed on the homepage" under Profile -> Settings. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jon Peck
ProZ.com Staff
Developer, System Administrator

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that was quick! May 3, 2007

Jon Peck wrote:

All,
Based on your suggestions, I've added the ability to "Select forums to be listed on the homepage" under Profile -> Settings. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Hi Jon,
thanks for implementing this feature so quickly.

There appears to be a problem with the foreign language forums: initially, all are ticked as a default. I can't get rid of the ticks for Indonesian, Malay, Persian/Farsi, Tamil and Urdu. Every time I detick them and save the settings they are still ticked. However, they aren't visible on my homepage. Rather weird.

Everything else seems to be working correctly.

Best regards,
Jill

Jon Peck  Identity Verified
English
Forum ID bug May 3, 2007

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

There appears to be a problem with the foreign language forums: initially, all are ticked as a default. I can't get rid of the ticks for Indonesian, Malay, Persian/Farsi, Tamil and Urdu. Every time I detick them and save the settings they are still ticked. However, they aren't visible on my homepage. Rather weird.
Oops.

I used a database structure that restricted the forum ID to anything up to 127, and Persian/Farsi is #216. It should work properly now. Thanks for the catch!

-Jon

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
THANKS for this feature! May 8, 2007

Now I can see the interesting discussions at a glance, without drowning in requests for help with CAT tools.

I like it!

And I can still find help with Trados when I need it, without getting unnecessarily discouraged by everyone else's problems

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customising visible forum topics

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search