https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/72428-grat_incentive_to_go_platinum_or_become_a_%22full_member%22_as_it_is_now_called.html

Grat incentive to go platinum! (or become a "full member" as it is now called).
Thread poster: Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 8, 2007

Guess what would be a GREAT incentive to get people to fork over cash and become "full members"?

If those annoying little adds that litter the entire Proz.com experience would magically disappear immediately upon paying the "full membership" fee, never to be seen again for an entire year!

Hikmat Gumilar
Hikmat Gumilar  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:16
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I believe it's a matter of choice... May 8, 2007

In my humble opinion,

Ad are meant to be there to support the site...

There are plenty of Internet browser application such as Firefox add-ins where users can now install application to block advertisement in a website, one is called Adblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10) which are built to prevent advertisement from appearing in their favo
... See more
In my humble opinion,

Ad are meant to be there to support the site...

There are plenty of Internet browser application such as Firefox add-ins where users can now install application to block advertisement in a website, one is called Adblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10) which are built to prevent advertisement from appearing in their favorite sites.

But to me also ads in proz.com are relevant ads, and sometime it's helpful too, I understand the irritation of the same ad appears over and over again... and voila..that's the magic of advertisement blocker come to work..

Cheers from the warm sun of tropical Indonesia...
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
German to English
Members see fewer ads May 8, 2007

Hi Stuart,

If I'm not mistaken, one of the benefits of full membership is that members only see translation related ads and not all the ads that you as a non-paying member would be seeing. I think this was introduced after some members complained in the forums about all the ads appearing on the site.

Best regards,
Niraja

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Members only see translation related ads May 8, 2007

Stuart, I appologize if you feel our advertisements are too frequent for your enjoyment of the site. Niraja is right in that members see considerably less ads than non members, and the ads are specifically related to the field of translation. Non logged in visitors also see a different set of ads from services like Google. All in all the ad program is intended to support the site and provide the community with financial support for development of tools like the blue board and project connect.... See more
Stuart, I appologize if you feel our advertisements are too frequent for your enjoyment of the site. Niraja is right in that members see considerably less ads than non members, and the ads are specifically related to the field of translation. Non logged in visitors also see a different set of ads from services like Google. All in all the ad program is intended to support the site and provide the community with financial support for development of tools like the blue board and project connect. We generally restrict ads to the two locations - top of page 468x60 and left side bar 120x120 so hopefully the ad intrusion is an acceptable one.

I appreciate your feedback and concerns. I will explore options to permit members to "turn ads off".

Thank you

Drew MacFadyen
Advertising Manager
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:16
German to English
+ ...
Possibility of at least turning off flashing ads? May 8, 2007

I would certainly be in favor of getting rid of those awful flashing ads for members (for instance: "Your favorites [sic] dictionaries at a click"!). They are really annoying and not very professional IMO.

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Requested non-flashing ads from client May 8, 2007

Thanks for all your input and thoughtful suggestions. I have asked that this particular client send us ads that do not use flash animation so that those ads may be displayed to our members. Non members may still have flash animation ads displayed to them. I have begun a discussion internally to explore the possibility of a feature to allow our members to filter ads to some degree.

Thank you

Drew MacFadyen
Advertising Manager

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ad delivery restricted for ProZ.com members May 10, 2007

As a temporary fix, I have created a special delivery channel for members only - and the flashing advertisement that is at the root of this discussion has been limited to only one veiw for every 8 hours for our ProZ.com members. All other site users may see these ads numerous times throughout the day, but ProZ.com members will only see this ad one time per 8 hours interval (there are two sizes and you may see both sizes, but you will not see a second of the same size for 8 hours)

I
... See more
As a temporary fix, I have created a special delivery channel for members only - and the flashing advertisement that is at the root of this discussion has been limited to only one veiw for every 8 hours for our ProZ.com members. All other site users may see these ads numerous times throughout the day, but ProZ.com members will only see this ad one time per 8 hours interval (there are two sizes and you may see both sizes, but you will not see a second of the same size for 8 hours)

I hope that this will help elliminate some of the distraction while using our site.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and comments.

Drew MacFadyen
Advertising Manager
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well done, May 11, 2007

and thank you, Drew.
Judith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grat incentive to go platinum! (or become a "full member" as it is now called).

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »