https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/76190-clock_for_kudoz_questions.html

Clock for KudoZ questions
Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2007

Could there by some easy method--a clock, for instance, that only the asker could see, when clicking through from the email notification--to determine how long it has been since my KudoZ question posted?

A few minutes ago I asked a KudoZ question and read, once again, the suggestion that I wait at least 24 hours before closing the question. I whole-heartedly agree with that suggestion; while I have received excellent answers within seconds of posting the question, I have sometimes b
... See more
Could there by some easy method--a clock, for instance, that only the asker could see, when clicking through from the email notification--to determine how long it has been since my KudoZ question posted?

A few minutes ago I asked a KudoZ question and read, once again, the suggestion that I wait at least 24 hours before closing the question. I whole-heartedly agree with that suggestion; while I have received excellent answers within seconds of posting the question, I have sometimes been in despair, believing that no one was going to help, only to have someone come to my rescue a full day (or 2, or 3) later.

Further, most of us who answer KudoZ are acquainted with the frustration of knowing the answer but discovering that the asker has chosen a poor or incorrect answer and closed the question before we even saw it. I am not proposing that we make the 24-hour wait obligatory; that has been discussed and rejected many times before in the forums.

I just want to open my question and see how much time has passed since I posted it, with perhaps a countdown or pie chart or other graphic representation so I can see that I have the "green light" to go ahead and close the question. That would also encourage (while not obliging) all askers to wait the requested 24 hours.

Since the time on the site is given in GMT and the time on the question in local time, I get confused. How about making it easy for me?

While I'm at it: I also find the relative times given for the answers and the agrees to be confusing. I think the time on the agree refers to how many hours or minutes have passed since the answer was given. We see an answer that came at 2 hours, and a comment on that answer that came at 12 minutes. It's hard to keep track of who answered first and whether a comment in agreement to Answer A was made before or after Answer B was posted.

Does this strike any chords with anyone else? Or am I the only one who is bothered by this? It's Saturday night and I'm still working, so have pity!

Jane
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Good suggestion! Jul 24, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Thsnks Jane, I have tagged your suggestion and added it to our to-dos list.

While I'm at it: I also find the relative times given for the answers and the agrees to be confusing. I think the time on the agree refers to how many hours or minutes have passed since the answer was given. We see an answer that came at 2 hours, and a comment on that answer that came at 12 minutes. It's hard to keep track of who answered first and whether a comment in agreement to Answer A was made before or after Answer B was posted.

The time tag on each peer comment is relative to the time the corresponding answer was posted.

Kind regards,
Enrique

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Enrique, yet again Jul 25, 2007

I had totally forgotten this thread!

Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clock for KudoZ questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »