Possible means of improving proz as a client-translator interface? (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2003

I am curious. Since I signed on at Proz, I\'ve had one job directly from the site. In the same time I\'ve had three from foreignword, which I think is a far inferior site and as far as I can see is much less visited. Obviously this is an individual experience, and is not being presented as empirical evidence - but it does strike me as odd. Each of the jobs I received on foreignword were as a result of agencies/clients visiting my profile. The proz job I got was from winning a bid.

... See more
I am curious. Since I signed on at Proz, I\'ve had one job directly from the site. In the same time I\'ve had three from foreignword, which I think is a far inferior site and as far as I can see is much less visited. Obviously this is an individual experience, and is not being presented as empirical evidence - but it does strike me as odd. Each of the jobs I received on foreignword were as a result of agencies/clients visiting my profile. The proz job I got was from winning a bid.

The only reason I am posting this is to see if it provokes any thoughts as to any possible means of improving proz as a client-translator interface. On the face of it, I can\'t see any... and maybe my experience at foreignword was just a fluke... but worth thinking about.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 19:18]
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:06
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
My case is just the opposite. Feb 2, 2003

I got five jobs through ProZ.com: one directly through my profile and four by bids.

At the same time I received no job offers from foreignword at all.

Maybe you have a very attractive online resume there

Regarding jobs offered directly to translators via ProZ - some people say they get many offers through their profile. Perhaps it depends on a language pair - in En-Ru pair the clients are often l
... See more
I got five jobs through ProZ.com: one directly through my profile and four by bids.

At the same time I received no job offers from foreignword at all.

Maybe you have a very attractive online resume there

Regarding jobs offered directly to translators via ProZ - some people say they get many offers through their profile. Perhaps it depends on a language pair - in En-Ru pair the clients are often looking for the highest quality at the lowest price possible, so they post projects for bids.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-02 14:31]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Foreignword, Xanadu Feb 2, 2003

Thanks to this thread, I have just discovered Foreignword and also their free Xanadu dictionary software, which seems a very useful resource to me. I think I\'ll post something about it in Translator resources.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:06
German to English
In my experience, Feb 2, 2003

Dan, I don\'t know if you\'ve just started out or whether you\'ve been doing this for quite a while. I started translating fulltime about three years ago. It took me about a year to establish relations with translation agencies that now supply me with work regularly. That\'s the ideal situation for me, although even better would be to have some direct clients (of which I\'ve also got a few). I got some of my regular clients thru ProZ after bidding on and getting a job for the agencies.
... See more
Dan, I don\'t know if you\'ve just started out or whether you\'ve been doing this for quite a while. I started translating fulltime about three years ago. It took me about a year to establish relations with translation agencies that now supply me with work regularly. That\'s the ideal situation for me, although even better would be to have some direct clients (of which I\'ve also got a few). I got some of my regular clients thru ProZ after bidding on and getting a job for the agencies.

Kim
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:06
English to German
+ ...
Foreignword vs. Proz Feb 2, 2003

My experience is very different.

While I received a fistful of jobs from Proz, mostly through offers to job postings, Foreignword only generated a few inquiries, of which none has led to a single job assignment.

Taking a closer look at that, the jobs I received through Proz are mainly for my main language pair EN>GE, while Foreignword inquiries are mainly for CR>GE or GE>CR.

While the job offers for this second language pair are not exceeding
... See more
My experience is very different.

While I received a fistful of jobs from Proz, mostly through offers to job postings, Foreignword only generated a few inquiries, of which none has led to a single job assignment.

Taking a closer look at that, the jobs I received through Proz are mainly for my main language pair EN>GE, while Foreignword inquiries are mainly for CR>GE or GE>CR.

While the job offers for this second language pair are not exceedingly high on Proz, I think that most agencies already have their regular translators in this language pair, which would explain some of these inquiries, that were mainly about rates and daily turnaround volume.

For me, Proz definitely generates the best results and Foreignword is only another place to present myself, but I do not expect any serious offers from them.

Regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Local time: 21:06
German to Swedish
+ ...
Don't underestimate Foreignword :-) Feb 3, 2003

Please, don\'t get me wrong. I do think that Proz is the best site for translators - by far.

But I\'ve had some very fruitful contacts established through Foreignword. One that has been my main source of income during the last month.

Through my profile on Proz.com I\'ve received only one serious inquire, but on the other hand landed more than a handful of major jobs through the marketplace.

... See more
Please, don\'t get me wrong. I do think that Proz is the best site for translators - by far.

But I\'ve had some very fruitful contacts established through Foreignword. One that has been my main source of income during the last month.

Through my profile on Proz.com I\'ve received only one serious inquire, but on the other hand landed more than a handful of major jobs through the marketplace.

In terms of content and interest for translators Proz must be the number one choice for any freelancer.

Best regards,

Jonas

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-03 12:11]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible means of improving proz as a client-translator interface? (Mod:'done')

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »