Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Proposal for new forum: Rant and rave
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

G'day everyone

I suggest a new forum be created called Rant and Rave. This forum should be listed under the "Offtopic and other" category. The purpose of the forum would be for people to vent their frustration about stuff.

In some of the forums, people sometimes start topics that have really no other purpose than to complain. They may ask questions in their posts, but those are really just rhetorical questions.

Take a look at this one, for example:
http://www.proz.com/topic/83573

The above topic has no purpose except to allow the complainer and fellow complainers (me-toos) to vent their frustration about the topic at hand. If a Rant and Rave forum exists, the moderator can move this type of topic to it, thereby decongesting the topical forum to make way for more productive discussions.

Of course, anyone could just post a new topic directly in the Rant and Rave forum, if they want to.

I'm getting tired of seeing potentially interesting posts in topical forums, only to discover after a few paragraphs that the poster had no intention to initiate discussion -- he only wants to vent his anger and notch up a few me-toos.


[Edited at 2007-09-12 05:40]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 17:20
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I actually like this idea Sep 12, 2007

erm, that's pretty much all I I wanted to say about it.

[Edited at 2007-09-12 05:51]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Good idea Sep 12, 2007

Yep, I like it too.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Rant on! Sep 12, 2007

Good idea, Samuel. There's nothing like a good rant to get one going in the morning. Many of us are so alone and it's good to have somewhere to vent one's spleen. Rave on!
Jenny.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Except of course... Sep 12, 2007

rant about groups of people, countries, minorities, customers mentioned by their names etc. etc.
Should this threat be moved to the rant-section?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Isn't this posting a rant and rave about postings you don't like? Sep 12, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:


I'm getting tired of seeing potentially interesting posts in topical forums, only to discover after a few paragraphs that the poster had no intention to initiate discussion -- he only wants to vent his anger and notch up a few me-toos.


[Edited at 2007-09-12 05:40]


Forums are just that. People post their ideas and feelings. Some people discuss, others see an opportunity to vent frustrations if the forum topic is something they feel strongly about. And what's wrong with others coming in and agreeing? Why try to make me-too-ism into something negative.

Let forums have their freedom, which isn't unlimited in any case.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:20
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Rant-a-forum Sep 12, 2007

What to do to keep it uncontrolled but within limits? This is close to "let the boys have fun as long as furniture does not get trashed..." - which is sometimes just wishful thinking.

We would need the rantiquette - like

1. All entries are to end with a "End of rant" statement (like "that's it for now")
2. Do not allow new entries for next a) 10 min b) 12 hours c) never
3. have a list of top ranters / ravers with DuhDoZ points (I know, its stupid, but then again, how to do feedback)

Same of course about ravers - they can be a real drag too.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
Italian to English
+ ...
To writeaway: Sep 12, 2007

writeaway wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:


I'm getting tired of seeing potentially interesting posts in topical forums, only to discover after a few paragraphs that the poster had no intention to initiate discussion -- he only wants to vent his anger and notch up a few me-toos.


[Edited at 2007-09-12 05:40]


Forums are just that. People post their ideas and feelings. Some people discuss, others see an opportunity to vent frustrations if the forum topic is something they feel strongly about. And what's wrong with others coming in and agreeing? Why try to make me-too-ism into something negative.

Let forums have their freedom, which isn't unlimited in any case.


Even if it is a rant about posts that Samuel doesn't like, it's irrelevant to the suggestion, which IMO is a good one for various reasons:

1) it allows people who need to "get it off their chest" to do so (I probably wouldn't start a discussion now if I needed to rant about a stupid customer or the like, but I might do so if there were a specific "rant forum")
2) it allows people who aren't interested to avoid such topics (the discussion Samuel referred to isn't off-topic and seems to pose a genuine (and very important) question, but, at the end of the day, it is (or has degenerated into) the same discussion that we see umpteen times a week here. I can see why he was irritated at wasting his time in having a look at it).

I had thought of a third reason, but it's escaped me... I'll add it later if it comes back into mind.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:20
English to German
+ ...
Probably a good suggestion Sep 12, 2007

While I agree that it's sometimes really annoying to read yet another rant I think that a subforum for rants would not be used by posters very often.

Why? I think people don't start threads with the intention to vent their frustrations, they just start to write and usually end up ranting or raving about the issue, usually stupid clients or ridiculous rates.

I believe that most postings that fall under the rant&rave category would at first end up in one of the other forums, and before any moderator would have the chance to move it to the appropriate subforum a lot of people will already have read it.
Not sure therefore if a subforum would make any significant difference.

Maybe Proz staff could try to implement an ignore list that would allow individuals to hide forum postings with certain key words in there, such as "ridiculous rates", "stupid clients", "Am I mother Teresa?" etc. I know this already exists for KudoZ questions, albeit you do not filter by key words but by posters (askers).

Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2007-09-12 10:27]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Let's call it the "ridiculous rates, stupid clients and "Do I look like Mother Teresa?" forum! Sep 12, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

While I agree that it's sometimes really annoying to read yet another rant I think that a subforum for rants would not be used by posters very often.

Why? I think people don't start threads with the intention to vent their frustrations, they just start to write and usually end up ranting or raving about the issue, usually stupid clients or ridiculous rates.

I believe that most postings that fall under the rant&rave category would at first end up in one of the other forums, and before any moderator would have the chance to move it to the appropriate subforum a lot of people will already have read it.
Not sure therefore if a subforum would make any significant difference.

Maybe Proz staff could try to implement an ignore list that would allow individuals to hide forum postings with certain key words in there, such as "ridiculous rates", "stupid clients", "Am I mother Teresa?" etc. I know this already exists for KudoZ questions, albeit you do not filter by key words but by posters.

Sonja




[Edited at 2007-09-12 10:28]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good in theory ... Sep 12, 2007

... but I guess it would be about as effective as those 'graffiti walls' setup by some municipal authorities in an attempt to persuade local delinquents to stop messing up the walls of the town hall and other public buildings.

It doesn't work! Delinquents do not want to be seen following municipal rules. Delinquents do not want their artwork on the back wall of a council depot where no-one can see it. And they do like to witness the shock horror of the mayor when he sees 'his' facade has changed colour overnight - again.

It'll be just the same here, too. The whole point of ranting and raving, like graffiti, is to put your message (such as it is) where most people will see it, even involuntarily, and be 'touched' by it in some way.

MediaMatrix


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure how useful it would be Sep 12, 2007

Most threads of this type are easily identifiable by merely glancing at their subject line. I don't see that they waste much time unless people go about clicking on subjects that don't interest them.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:20
Member
Spanish
+ ...
The Punching-Bag Forum aka the 'I-just-saved-a-bunch-of-money-on-therapy' Forum Sep 12, 2007

Yes please, let there be one. I need to get it out!!!!! Can I start? No? I'll start anyway. Just now I'm dealing with a client that's impossible to please, I don't want answers, I just want to rant on to people that might understand my frustration.

[Edited at 2007-09-12 19:40]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
Italian to English
+ ...
I feel your pain, Claudia! Sep 12, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Yes please, let there be one. I need to get it out!!!!! Can I start? No? I'll start anyway. Just now I'm dealing with a client that's impossible to please, I don't want answers, I just want to rant on to people that might understand my frustration.




Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:20
Member
Spanish
+ ...
:D Sep 12, 2007

Thank you Marie-Hélène.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal for new forum: Rant and rave

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search