A new forum - freeware/software (K)
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
French to English
Feb 16, 2003

Hi Henry, hi everyone,

What do you think of a new forum to be entitled \"Favourite freeware/software\" or some such name, in which translators could pass on details of freeware/shareware which have helped them directly or indirectly in their work?

It would be slightly different from this \"Translators Resources\" forum in the sense that a) it would concern applications to be downloaded rather than online resources and b) its scope would include anything which helps
... See more
Hi Henry, hi everyone,

What do you think of a new forum to be entitled \"Favourite freeware/software\" or some such name, in which translators could pass on details of freeware/shareware which have helped them directly or indirectly in their work?

It would be slightly different from this \"Translators Resources\" forum in the sense that a) it would concern applications to be downloaded rather than online resources and b) its scope would include anything which helps us in our work on the computer and not just in our capacity as translators.

Just an idea. I don\'t think there would be much danger of people trying to \"sell their wares\": not many translators have the time to devise software as well! And even if that were the case, would that be so very reprehensible? After all, look at all the free publicity the likes of Trados get!

Anyway, it\'s just an idea, as I say. Let me know what you think.

All the best

Barnaby

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:54]
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Word search freeware Feb 16, 2003

To start the ball rolling (in response to the truly enormous interest aroused...!), and to give an idea of what I had in mind, here is an excellent freeware for quickly finding a particular word or phrase in all your files.

Quite a lot of applications do this job, but I find Agent Ransack as good as any:

http://www.agentransack.com/default.aspx

Hope you find it useful.... See more
To start the ball rolling (in response to the truly enormous interest aroused...!), and to give an idea of what I had in mind, here is an excellent freeware for quickly finding a particular word or phrase in all your files.

Quite a lot of applications do this job, but I find Agent Ransack as good as any:

http://www.agentransack.com/default.aspx

Hope you find it useful.

All the best

Barnaby
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Gravitybox Worldview Feb 17, 2003

This is an excellent source of information on the countries of the world which you can download free of charge from:

www.gravitybox.com

It is in fact an offline version of the CIA World FactBook and as such quite a hefty download.

Depending on what line of translation you happen to be in, Gravitybox can come in very handy.

All the best

Barnaby

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Free offline English dictionary Feb 17, 2003

If you are looking for an interesting alternative or complement to the excellent Word Web dictionary you might like to check out the Pardon dictionary:

http://www.softbear.no/index.shtml

I find it very neat. The developers have plans to introduce foreign language dictonaries as well so it\'s worth checking their site from time to time.

All the best

Barnaby

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:27
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I do support Barnaby's suggestion Feb 17, 2003

A freeware/software forum with some translation bias (not only \"feline\" tools) may be very useful I think. I for one spend tons of time looking on the Net for various programmes.

Thank you Barnaby, for Agent Ransack. I\'ve already installed it and will try. It seems it\'s a handy application.

And here\'s my contribution: DLBackup v1.2 - File Backup Utility.

It\'s a long tim
... See more
A freeware/software forum with some translation bias (not only \"feline\" tools) may be very useful I think. I for one spend tons of time looking on the Net for various programmes.

Thank you Barnaby, for Agent Ransack. I\'ve already installed it and will try. It seems it\'s a handy application.

It\'s a long time already that I\'ve been looking for a good backup utility. DLBackup is the best I\'ve found. And it\'s a freeware.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re DL Backup Feb 18, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-17 21:27, Nikita Kobrin wrote:

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-17 21:27, Nikita Kobrin wrote:

It\'s a long time already that I\'ve been looking for a good backup utility. DLBackup is the best I\'ve found. And it\'s a freeware.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Many thanks for the tip, Nikita. I have tended to be rather lax about back ups in the past, so I shall certainly give DLBackup a try! Hope you enjoy Agent Ransack.

All the best

Barnaby ▲ Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Shareware - T2 Translator Feb 19, 2003

Shareware.

http://www.easy2translate.com/

This is a dictionary to bring out the geek lurking in all of us. To be honest, the technology is more interesting than the content (fairly limited English-English and English-German dictionaries at present, but others planned). What I like about it is the way it works: you place the mouse cursor on a word in any document - on or offline - press the right mouse
... See more
Shareware.

http://www.easy2translate.com/

This is a dictionary to bring out the geek lurking in all of us. To be honest, the technology is more interesting than the content (fairly limited English-English and English-German dictionaries at present, but others planned). What I like about it is the way it works: you place the mouse cursor on a word in any document - on or offline - press the right mouse button and the software gives you the definition or the translation, depending on which dictionaries you have installed.

I stand corrected, but as far as I know the only other company which offers this sort of technology is ifinger. (www.ifinger.com) Here again, the actual commercial dictionaries available are on the whole too concise to be of much good to translators. But ifinger does offer other products (encylopedias, etc.).

As I say, T2 Translator will work with any text, but I\'ve noticed something rather strange: if you open a Word document, for example, the software will work with any word in the text, but if you type in a word and then ask the software for the deinition/translation, it doesn\'t know what to do. I haven\'t experimented in detail, but it would seem you have to exit and then return to the document where \"fresh\" input is concerned, but there might be a way round this.

See what you think.

All the best

Barnaby
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new forum - freeware/software (K)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »