Suggestion: Anonymous NOT allowed to Kudoz (Eng-Port) (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Dorival Scaliante

Dorival Scaliante  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:48
English to Portuguese
Mar 7, 2003

Hi, translators for Portuguese.

I\'m Dorival, En-BrPt xlator.

Just sent a message on Proz Support messaging system requesting Anonymous not to be allowed to send Kudoz Questions.

I think this might be a useful resource to avoid soooo many Dolly\'s questions like we had yesterday.

What do you think of it?

Many thanks to all! —Dorival

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:48
English to German
+ ...
Please contact a moderator Mar 7, 2003

Support requests to ProZ.com staff should be used to inform site staff about malfunctions, bugs or other site problems - if you believe someone asked an excessive number of questions, please contact the moderator for that language pair. You will find a link at the end of each KudoZ question - alternatively use the \"Site Moderators\" link in the navigation.

Best regards, Ralf

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 09:48
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Third-party sites Mar 7, 2003

Dear Dorival,

I have been using this website for a while and I have seen people complaining about \"anonymous\" askers for several times. But the problem is that, sometimes, people use third-party websites to get to Proz and solve their doubts. Most of the times, they\'re not professional translators and just want some help with homework, personal letters and so on.

Sometimes, these peole sign as \"anonymous\" and some other times they sign with their names, but do not have a profile in Proz — since they\'re not professionals — and are consideres \"anonymous\" anyway.

In my opinion, if Proz has opened this space to help others, we should respect it.

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:48
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Anonymous Mar 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:12, Rafamach wrote:

Dear Dorival,

...people use third-party websites to get to Proz and solve their doubts. Most of the times, they\'re not professional translators and just want some help with homework, personal letters and so on.

Sometimes, these peole sign as \"anonymous\" and some other times they sign with their names, but do not have a profile in Proz — since they\'re not professionals — and are consideres \"anonymous\" anyway.

In my opinion, if Proz has opened this space to help others, we should respect it.

--------------------------------------------

There have been several complaints about \"anonymity\". But when questions come from \"third parties\", do you think there\'ll be a difference between \"anonymous\" or any other name people may use?

It is true that the questions may sometimes seem \"silly\" to us but they are not to askers...

As pointed before, the site is open to everybody.

What I DO agree with is the fact that some people exceed the number of questions allowed by the site, but again, this should be addressed to Moderators.

Have a nice day and don\'t let this get on your nerves! :^)

José Antonio Azevedo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:48
Member (2002)
English to Portuguese
Why not changing the site's name? Mar 7, 2003

I agree entirely with Dorival about the excess of \"anonymous\" and \"semi-anonymous\" askers at KudoZ. I thought that this site was intended for professionals meeting professionals, but nowadays we are overwhelmed by this growing number of non-registered members.

Rafaela, I see your point and I agree that it was a choice of ProZ\'s administration to allow this \"invasion\" of non-professionals. So I have a suggestion: since ProZ is not anymore a forum for professionals, why not change its name for AnonymousZ or AmateurZ? These names would be more appropriate for what we\'re seing today in our site. I really miss the old days when KudoZ questions were made by truly professionals, that is, by people who were not afraid of showing their profile, including background, experience, areas of expertise, etc. Any chance of having these days back, Henry? You can be sure that most of us would like to see it happening.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-07 17:53]

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
Italian to English
+ ...
The quickest fix... Mar 7, 2003

for those of us that don\'t want to be bothered by anonymous askers\' questions is to change email notifications to KudoZ pro only. If you\'re still bothered by the easy questions showing up in the KudoZ listing, choose the \"PRO - Your Pairs\" tab on the top of the page. I agree that at times it can be annoying to see \"I love you\" questions over and over again, but, honestly, is it really worth getting so worked up over? Just don\'t answer. But then, keep in mind, that there will always be someone else who IS willing to answer.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:37, joseazev wrote:

I agree entirely with Dorival about the excess of \"anonymous\" and \"semi-anonymous\" askers at KudoZ. I thought that this site was intended for professionals meeting professionals, but nowadays we are overwhelmed by this growing number of non-registered members.

Rafaela, I see your point and I agree that it was a choice of ProZ\'s administration to allow this \"invasion\" of non-professionals. So I have a suggestion: since ProZ is not anymore a forum for professionals, why not change its name for AnonymousZ or AmateurZ? These names would be more appropriate for what we\'re seing today in our site. I really miss the old days when KudoZ questions were made by truly professionals, that is, by people who were not afraid of showing their profile, including background, experience, areas of expertise, etc. Any chance of having these days back, Henry? You can be sure that most of us would like to see it happening.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-03-07 17:53]

Radek Podolski

Local time: 09:48
English to Polish
+ ...
from the point of logic... Mar 7, 2003

.. a name change would be needed if you banned non-member questions. Anonumouses wouldnt quit asking, they would create a godzilion of profiles and we would really have AmateurZ.com on our hands...

keep it safe keep it real

raad (EN PL)

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 17:37, joseazev wrote:

[ This Message was edited byn2003-03-07 17:53]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
That's why there are "Easy" and "Pro" questions Mar 7, 2003

Just adding to what Rick pointed out: non-members can only ask \"Easy\" questions; a profile is required to ask on \"Pro\" level. Therefore, to ignore questions by non-members, simply deactivate the mail notification options for \"Easy\" questions.

Best, Ralf

xxxForna
English to Spanish
+ ...
Everybody is a little bit right. Mar 8, 2003

An \"asker\" is someone who wants to know something he/she does not know (obviously).

I have noticed that questions from unidentified persons range from very simple to highly technical issues which are not always duly rated as \"easy\" or \"difficult\" has Ralf\'s put it.

Now, if we are here to show our expertise to propesctive clients around this tiny little world, I think it is up to each of us to answer or ignore the postings as Henry recommends it.

I think it does not make any difference whether the \"anomymous\" ones are making money with our answers. ProZ is crowded with \"semi-anonymous, non-paying members\" that also benefit from this source of \"free\" knowledge. And in this respect they are not different from any \"outsider\". I think this is the key to the success of this site: freedom and generousness.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Change from Easy to Pro Mar 9, 2003

Hi Forna,

Quote:

I have noticed that questions from unidentified persons range from very simple to highly technical issues which are not always duly rated as \"easy\" or \"difficult\" has Ralf\'s put it.

I agree - note that it is possible for moderators (as well as ProZ.com members with a certain minimum number of KudoZ) to \"bounce\" questions, i.e. to change them from \"Easy\" to \"Pro\", for example. Therefore, if you see a question which you believe should be \"Pro\" rather than \"Easy\", just send a short message to the moderator for the language pair concerned (quoting the URL of the question). Thanks in advance for that.

Best regards, Ralf

Joanopolis
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dolly's Invasion Mar 10, 2003

Just some numbers about Dolly\'s invasion from March 5th to March 7th:

= 21 different names (only one male and one Anonymous);

= 66 questions

= 191 answers

= 17 selected answers

= 47 KudoZ generated

= more than 600 BrownZ generated by comments

= thousands of minutes dedicated for nothing

I think we need new rules or a little bit more technology barriers.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Anonymous NOT allowed to Kudoz (Eng-Port) (Mod:'done')

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search