Can't search for subtitler by service type?!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:48
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2008

Hi all, and esp. the Proz staff,

I want to use the freelancer directory to search for a subtitler.

But when I fill in the search form, "Subtitling" is not listed under "Service type".
Instead, I need to select one of these:
Any
Checking/editing
Education
Interpreting
Summarization
Transcription
Translation
Voiceover

The workaround is to select "Any", and then specify "subtitling" under Keywords. But I'm
... See more
Hi all, and esp. the Proz staff,

I want to use the freelancer directory to search for a subtitler.

But when I fill in the search form, "Subtitling" is not listed under "Service type".
Instead, I need to select one of these:
Any
Checking/editing
Education
Interpreting
Summarization
Transcription
Translation
Voiceover

The workaround is to select "Any", and then specify "subtitling" under Keywords. But I'm sure I miss many potential freelancers just because they forgot to enter the keywords (or they only write keywords in their own language, not English).

Another workaround is to use Google instead, for searching the Proz directory. Google will find more relevant hits, because it searches the entire profile for "subtitling" not just the keyword box.
But I'm sure Proz would prefer to drive traffic to their own site, instead of being outpaced by third party search tools. Right??!

So please implement Subtitling as Service Type. ASAP, thank you very much!

/Jan
/Jan
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 06:48
SITE STAFF
Thanks for bringing this up Jan 11, 2008

Hello Jan,

Thank you very much for pointing this out. I have asked one of our developers to take care of this, and will get back to you once it has been implemented. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
If Proz is about to go for it... Jan 12, 2008

... do it completely!

I'd call it "Video translation", which involves one out of three different types of work, namely:
- translation for [lip-sync] dubbing
- translation for VO (aka voice-over, or non-sync dubbing, narration etc.)
- translation for subtitling

[Some translators do all of them, others only do one or two.]

The third one, translation for subtitling, is the beginning of a process which may continue without a professional studi
... See more
... do it completely!

I'd call it "Video translation", which involves one out of three different types of work, namely:
- translation for [lip-sync] dubbing
- translation for VO (aka voice-over, or non-sync dubbing, narration etc.)
- translation for subtitling

[Some translators do all of them, others only do one or two.]

The third one, translation for subtitling, is the beginning of a process which may continue without a professional studio, artists, etc. The next steps are:

- spotting (i.e. marking the time-in and time-out for each subtitle)
- burning the subtitles onto a video file
OR
- creating a subtitles file for overlaying in a DVD
- DVD authoring

I do all these, and happen to know some fellow translators who do the same, as well as others who only do some of them. So it's not unusual for translators to go all the way. Clients, however, vary in their demand. An end client usually wants the complete job. A video producer most likely will want only the translation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't search for subtitler by service type?!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »