Thread poster: lien
lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 04:46
English to French
+ ...
Apr 1, 2003

Est-ce que l\'on ne pourrait pas remplacer \"gagnant\" par un autre mot, cela donne trop l\'impression que c\'est une competition alors qu\'en realite toutes les reponses aident a eclaircir une question. Cela eviterait aussi l\'esprit concours de vitesse entre deux ou trois repondeurs. Je crois que Proz a depasse le stade enfantin, c\'etait surement interessant au debut pour attirer les gens.

Ce serait plus simple de dire Choose an answer.

Lien

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Good idea ... Apr 1, 2003

... and the same applies to the exhortation

\"No answers have been proposed yet.

Earn KudoZ points by answering now!\"

that obviously encourages some people to suggest answers that make several of us want to tear our hair out (not easy in my case).

How about replacing it with:

Feel free to suggest an answer if you understand the question (!TIP! It is often
... See more
... and the same applies to the exhortation

Earn KudoZ points by answering now!\"

that obviously encourages some people to suggest answers that make several of us want to tear our hair out (not easy in my case).

How about replacing it with:

Feel free to suggest an answer if you understand the question (!TIP! It is often a good idea to read it first.) Research shows that askers generally prefer answers that contain words that actually exist in the target language in question. Context is everything. Speed is nothing. The devil is in the detail. God is dead. Papa was a rollin\' stone. Pour me another tequila, Sheila. These boots are made for walking. Where did our love go? Dooya dooya dooya dooya wanna dance?\"

- or words to that effect

Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:46
Spanish to English
choose the most helpful answer Apr 1, 2003

I agree that it would be a good idea to change the wording, but I doubt very much if doing this would stop people from racing to get there first or in any way help to improve the current situation.

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree with Nikki Apr 1, 2003

Not every virtual contingent of 50,000 (and counting) is as easy to control as out in the real world.

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
I totally agree Apr 1, 2003

Answering KudoZ questions shouldn\'t be a contest!

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
First impressions Apr 1, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-01 12:39, Amara wrote:

I agree that it would be a good idea to change the wording, but I doubt very much if doing this would stop people from racing to get there first or in any way help to improve the current situation.

Maybe it won\'t help for those whose \"click before you think\" habits are already well-established, but imagine yourself a newcomer; this is the first KudoZ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-01 12:39, Amara wrote:

Maybe it won\'t help for those whose \"click before you think\" habits are already well-established, but imagine yourself a newcomer; this is the first KudoZ you\'ve ever answered... you will get the wrong idea right from the start. Your first impressions might be modified later as you get involved and learn what it\'s really about, but the messages may get you off on the wrong foot right from the start.

Another one that needs changing is the message you get as an asker; every time your question receives an answer, you are asked to pick a winner, even after the first answer. Surely this is one of the factors that leads to answers being selected too quickly, especially by casual users who aren\'t familiar with how the site works, who don\'t realize that the best answers may arrive hours after the first answers (when America wakes up )

[ This Message was edited by: GoodWords on 2003-04-01 18:27] ▲ Collapse

Caroline Mackay-Sim (X)
Caroline Mackay-Sim (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 12:46
English to French
+ ...
Thank you..Tony TK Apr 2, 2003

..for a good laugh. Nothing like it.

[ This Message was edited by: CAMackay-S on 2003-04-02 13:53]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TonyTK, you owe me a new keyboard, Apr 2, 2003

because I spilt coffee in the old while reading this:

\"Research shows that askers generally prefer answers that contain words that actually exist in the target language in question. Context is everything.\"

[addsig]

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Good words from GoodWords, but... Apr 2, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-01 18:26, GoodWords wrote:

Another one that needs changing is the message you get as an asker; every time your question receives an answer, you are asked to pick a winner, even after the first answer. Surely this is one of the factors that leads to answers being selected too quickly, especially by casual users who aren\'t familiar with how the site works, who don\'t realize that the best answers may arr... See more
Quote:

Another one that needs changing is the message you get as an asker; every time your question receives an answer, you are asked to pick a winner, even after the first answer. Surely this is one of the factors that leads to answers being selected too quickly, especially by casual users who aren\'t familiar with how the site works, who don\'t realize that the best answers may arrive hours after the first answers (when America wakes up )

True, good point, but shouldn\'t that be when Europe wakes up!!! Seriously, though, the main point is that questions should be kept open for a few hours (preferably a day or two) not a few minutes!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Amara on 2003-04-02 14:51]

[ This Message was edited by: Amara on 2003-04-02 14:52] ▲ Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
That depends Apr 2, 2003

Quote:

the main point is that questions should be kept open for a few hours (preferably a day or two) not a few minutes!!!

I represent an Agency and I always need an answer in matter of minutes- situation usually is as follows- the translator turn in the ready job, there is half an hour to deadline, but there still is marked in colour one unclear term or item. Then I need the answer right now, not tomor... See more
Quote:

the main point is that questions should be kept open for a few hours (preferably a day or two) not a few minutes!!!

I represent an Agency and I always need an answer in matter of minutes- situation usually is as follows- the translator turn in the ready job, there is half an hour to deadline, but there still is marked in colour one unclear term or item. Then I need the answer right now, not tomorrow. You\'ll ask why translator hasn\'t done it himself- you see, not all translators in this country are online, actually very few are, and you have to be very wealthy indeed here to afford to browse the web via dial up
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Sorry to hear about your expensive Internet connection Apr 3, 2003

Quote:

I represent an Agency and I always need an answer in matter of minutes- I need the answer right now, not tomorrow. you have to be very wealthy indeed here to afford to browse the web via dial up

But are you sure that you\'ve been given the right answer to your questions in such a short time?

And surely translators co... See more
Quote:

I represent an Agency and I always need an answer in matter of minutes- I need the answer right now, not tomorrow. you have to be very wealthy indeed here to afford to browse the web via dial up

But are you sure that you\'ve been given the right answer to your questions in such a short time?

And surely translators could inform you long before the deadline is only 30 minutes away that there\'s a problematic term?

Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
You see, Nikki, Apr 3, 2003

[/quote]

And surely translators could inform you long before the deadline is only 30 minutes away that there\'s a problematic term?

[/quote]

Of course you\'re right that 30 minutes is a very short time, but ces\'t la vie and ces\'t la translators

Of course, we do not deliver to the client dou
... See more
[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course you\'re right that 30 minutes is a very short time, but ces\'t la vie and ces\'t la translators

Of course, we do not deliver to the client doubtful version, or at worst we tell him about the difficulties and deliver the correct term latter. Paradoxically, the most baffling terms are not scientific or technical, but idiomatic terms you can\'t find in a printed dictionary, (e.g., I remember \"arm\'s length transaction\"), sometime there isn\'t such a term in target language at all (yesterday we met \" earn-outs\"), and that\'s were human assistance from fellow professionals is invaluable.

About Internet connection prices here in Latvia- they are twice higher than, say, in neighboring Lithuania and Estonia and, AFAIK, 4 times higher than in Germany… So it goes, as Vonnegut said

[addsig]
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
choose a winner Apr 5, 2003

Quote:

... but imagine yourself a newcomer; this is the first KudoZ you\'ve ever answered... you will get the wrong idea right from the start. Your first impressions might be modified later as you get involved and learn what it\'s really about, but the messages may get you off on the wrong foot right from the start.

Exactly! That is t... See more
Quote:

... but imagine yourself a newcomer; this is the first KudoZ you\'ve ever answered... you will get the wrong idea right from the start. Your first impressions might be modified later as you get involved and learn what it\'s really about, but the messages may get you off on the wrong foot right from the start.

Exactly! That is the whole idea and you express it better.

Lien ▲ Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Using the answer isn't the same as closing the question May 16, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 19:07, uldis wrote:

Quote:

I represent an Agency and I always need an answer in matter of minutes- situation usually is as follows- the translator turn in the ready job, there is half an hour to deadline,... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-02 19:07, uldis wrote:

Quote:

I represent an Agency and I always need an answer in matter of minutes- situation usually is as follows- the translator turn in the ready job, there is half an hour to deadline, but there still is marked in colour one unclear term or item. Then I need the answer right now, not tomorrow

You can go ahead and use the answer any time you need it, even if the question hasn\'t yet been officially closed.

It is still better if questions can not be closed in the first 24 hours. ▲ Collapse

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly! It's not competition, it's collaboration! Jul 27, 2003

lien wrote:

Est-ce que l'on ne pourrait pas remplacer "gagnant" par un autre mot, cela donne trop l'impression que c'est une competition alors qu'en realite toutes les reponses aident a eclaircir une question.

My feelings exaclty - I hate the competitiveness and it's what makes me avoid KudoZ after a short period of contributing to them. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a shark tank... I always come back, weeks later, hoping it has changed. So far, it hasn't.

lien wrote:

Cela eviterait aussi l'esprit concours de vitesse entre deux ou trois repondeurs. Je crois que Proz a depasse le stade enfantin,

Agree - it is NOT a speed contest. In fact, it shouldn't be a contest at all. It should be a forum for collaboration, for helping out a colleague with a troublesome term or turn of phrase.

However, I do feel that those who contribute should be rewarded in some way. This is why I'd like to be able to give points to more than one person; in other words, be able to rate ALL the answers given, on a scale of "0" (not useful at all) to "4" (outstanding answer). The scale would be thus:

0 = not useful
1 = somewhat useful
2 = useful
3 = very useful
4 = extremely useful; excellent answer

The "0" grading, as opposed to "1" as the lowest possible, would be to discourage people submitting an answer merely to gain a point.

Having the ability to rate all respondents would help the respondents fine-tune their future answers, and it would give points to all who have contributed something useful to the person presenting the inquiry.

I've seen many cases where the complete answer is contained in two or more responses, each of which has presented a partial answer or has given information that's most useful when viewed together with the other responses.

If people contribute information that's useful to the asker, they should be given credit for it.

I often come across interesting questions that have already been graded, yet I still put in my two cents' worth - it may not help the particular asker (sometimes I do this months later), but hopefully it will be useful to the next person who looks at the page. After all, that's what it's all about, isn't it? Helping out?

And to make sure askers grade the questions, maybe give a brownie point for each rated answer, another for constructive comments attached to that grading, and deduct a brownie point for no grade and another for no comment. This would encourage askers to give feedback to their respondents - it's the least they can do after someone took the time to propose an answer.

T.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choose a winner

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »