https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/99619-%22report_user%22_button_on_profiles.html

"Report user" button on profiles?
Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 13, 2008

Occasionally - like 5 minutes ago - I receive strange messages from Proz.com "users" who have created a profile just to spam other users (sometimes a Nigerian scam style message or something along the lines of "I want to establish a relationship with you" - possibly as a first step before embarking on a Nigerian scam).
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a button on the profiles saying "report this user" which would open a message where we can then explain the reason we're r
... See more
Occasionally - like 5 minutes ago - I receive strange messages from Proz.com "users" who have created a profile just to spam other users (sometimes a Nigerian scam style message or something along the lines of "I want to establish a relationship with you" - possibly as a first step before embarking on a Nigerian scam).
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a button on the profiles saying "report this user" which would open a message where we can then explain the reason we're reporting them, and that message would go straight to the Proz team member in charge of profiles.
I think that would be a convenient shortcut, instead of trying to search for the Proz team member in charge, or writing about the particular incident in the forums or whatever.

[Edited at 2008-03-13 12:05]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
top class idea Mar 13, 2008

Agree !

I was contacted the other day by an agency with THREE profiles on here. I felt it should be flagged up to someone, but wasn't sure who or how so I left it.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, good idea Mar 13, 2008

I think it would help to reduce this problem.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:39
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Problem is, it is something negative... Mar 13, 2008

... and the profile is meant to be an advertisement!

Also, would agencies be tempted to misuse it, perhaps (negative feedback on translations)?

Astrid

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Mar 13, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

... and the profile is meant to be an advertisement!

Also, would agencies be tempted to misuse it, perhaps (negative feedback on translations)?

Astrid

Maybe instead of "report user" the button can say "report site abuse" or something similar that would clarify the purpose of the reporting. Or after clicking "report user" we would get the blank message screen preceded by a short explanation of its purpose and what it should not be used for.

Another idea would be to make the button so tiny and hidden somewhere in the bottom margin of the profile page, so only us insiders would find it (only kidding now)

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Kick 'em out! Mar 13, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I think the idea would be to only use it to report the PROFILE itself, not to rate/judge the entity behind it, as such. If the button was labelled "report abuse" or misuse or somesuch, that should be clear.

And if people insisted on abusing the "abuse" button (ha!), then they could be warned and then kicked off.

Although thinking about it, there would have to be pretty clear rules. One man's spam is another man's marketing campaign or call for tenders (?), after all.
A scam may be suspected, but just 'cos a message looks a bit odd, doesn't mean it's a wrong'un. I mean to say, there is a thread on here today asking people how often they check their bank accounts.....

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
We had a similar discussion on the forum here Mar 14, 2008

just a couple of weeks ago. And the Moderators advised anyone who get such messages (I did too) contact the Moderator in their language pair or any Moderator who is online at the moment with the exact details. Thus they can take care of the problem and kick the spammer out of the site.
I did so and the Moderator of my language pair helped me ang guided me through the process of what particular information I needed to send to her and how to find it.

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is a new idea though Mar 14, 2008

Hi Tatiana,

Is this the discussion you're talking about?
http://www.proz.com/topic/19155

If so, then I don't think anyone made a suggestion similar to mine. Also, as I said in another discussion yesterday, my personal opinion is that submitting support tickets or contacting moderators/ site staff should be reserved for individual problems faced by individual users. The sug
... See more
Hi Tatiana,

If so, then I don't think anyone made a suggestion similar to mine. Also, as I said in another discussion yesterday, my personal opinion is that submitting support tickets or contacting moderators/ site staff should be reserved for individual problems faced by individual users. The suggestion I am making (button on profile) would be a time-saving and effiicent shortcut.

If you were talking about a different discussion I would be grateful if you could point me to it (maybe it did indeed discuss a similar suggestion). Thanks.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:39
SITE STAFF
Please use the support system Mar 14, 2008

Hello all,

We are working on improving the steps to report spam, though this will not include a button in profiles for reporting.

Nesrin, the support system is there for the reasons you state, but also for this. Currently the best course of action when spam is received is reporting it via support request. When you report unwanted email, just be sure to copy the message you've received and the message headers in the support r
... See more
Hello all,

We are working on improving the steps to report spam, though this will not include a button in profiles for reporting.

Nesrin, the support system is there for the reasons you state, but also for this. Currently the best course of action when spam is received is reporting it via support request. When you report unwanted email, just be sure to copy the message you've received and the message headers in the support request, and staff can take care of the issue promptly.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
here's what I was talking about Mar 16, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

Hi Tatiana,

If you were talking about a different discussion I would be grateful if you could point me to it (maybe it did indeed discuss a similar suggestion). Thanks.

No, this is the one I was talking about:
http://www.proz.com/topic/97349

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Report user" button on profiles?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »