https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/107680-nigerian_scam_received_through_profile_was%3A_howcan_this_be_allowed.html

Nigerian scam received through profile (was: howcan this be allowed?)
Thread poster: Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
Local time: 18:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 12, 2008

You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: mrry
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/877852
Author's IP address: 196.201.89.189
Message type: Other
-----------

[email protected]

>From Madam mercy Kabila.
Democratic Repulic of Congo But Resi
... See more
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: mrry
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/877852
Author's IP address: 196.201.89.189
Message type: Other
-----------

[email protected]

>From Madam mercy Kabila.
Democratic Repulic of Congo But Reside in
Abidjan Cote d'ivoire
West Africa,

It is my pleasure to contact you for a business venture
which I intend to establish in your country. Though I have
not meet with you before
Dearest one, but I believe, one has to risk confiding in
succeed sometimes in life. There is this amount of
sixteen million U.S dollars($16,000,000.00) which my late
husband Laurent Desire Kabila kept for me and my son David
Urch Kabila with a Fiduciary Fund Holder in ivoiry coast
before he was assasinated by his bodyguard during this war
in Democratic Republic of Congo.

Now I have decided to invest these money in your country or
anywhere safe enough outside for security and political
reasons. I want you to help me claim and retrieve these
fund from the Fiduciary Fund Holders and transfer it into
your personal account in your country for investment
purposes on these areas:

1). Telecommunication
2). The Transport Industry
3). Five Star Hotel

If you can be of an assistance to me i will be pleased to
offer to you good % Of the total fund. I await your soonest
response.

Respectfully yours,
Madam mercy Kabila.

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/33946
Login at: http://www.proz.com/profile/
Edit your profile mail preferences: http://proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender: http://proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=196.201.89.189&add_email_block=mercykabila63@yahoo.com.mx&add_eid_block=877852
Unsolicited advertising? Submit a support ticket: http://proz.com/support
-----------

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-18 11:53]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
They do not send it because the site allows them to Jun 12, 2008

And the right thing to do in such cases is to contact the site staff via Support Page and forward them the email.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on your profile e-mail settings Jun 12, 2008

Maria Luisa,
I agree with Özden: submitting a Support Request is the right thing to do in such cases - and to do so quickly is essential in order to stop the sender from generating further messages.

Since you seem to imply some sort of responsibility on the site's part: it all depends on your profile e-mail settings. Go to My ProZ.com - My profile - Settings - Email preferences, where you can determine the level of accessibility for your profile. Bear in mind th
... See more
Maria Luisa,
I agree with Özden: submitting a Support Request is the right thing to do in such cases - and to do so quickly is essential in order to stop the sender from generating further messages.

Since you seem to imply some sort of responsibility on the site's part: it all depends on your profile e-mail settings. Go to My ProZ.com - My profile - Settings - Email preferences, where you can determine the level of accessibility for your profile. Bear in mind that blocking your profile against messages will prevent such messages to hit your inbox, but will also prevent a genuine business request from coming through. You can also have ProZ.com staff vet messages sent - obviously, this may delay transmission.

Personally, I don't see this as a big issue - the recycle bin is just a click away...

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:40
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Submit a support ticket Jun 12, 2008

Özden is right. Submitting a support request (including the email received) is the best way of dealing with email scam.

In this case the corresponding profile has been deleted.

Regards,
Enrique

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't see this as a big issue - the recycle bin is just a click away Jun 12, 2008

[Personally, ...
Ralf

Sorry to disagree with you Ralf but I do see it as a big issue, I pay to be on this site and others use it as a free for all. It is the responsibility of the site to ensure that this type of infiltration does not take place.

Best regards
MLDRalf Lemster wrote:

Maria Luisa,
I agree with Özden: submitting a Support Request is the right thing to do in such cases - and to do so quickly is essential in order
... See more
[Personally, ...
Ralf

Sorry to disagree with you Ralf but I do see it as a big issue, I pay to be on this site and others use it as a free for all. It is the responsibility of the site to ensure that this type of infiltration does not take place.

Best regards
MLDRalf Lemster wrote:

Maria Luisa,

Since you seem to imply some sort of responsibility on the site's part: it all depends on your profile e-mail settings. Go to My ProZ.com - My profile - Settings - Email preferences, where you can determine the level of accessibility for your profile. Bear in mind that blocking your profile against messages will prevent such messages to hit your inbox, but will also prevent a genuine business request from coming through. You can also have ProZ.com staff vet messages sent - obviously, this may delay transmission.

Personally, I don't see this as a big issue - the recycle bin is just a click away...

Best regards,
Ralf Personally, I don't see this as a big issue - the recycle bin is just a click away...
Ralf

Best regards
MLD]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The tools are at your disposal... Jun 12, 2008

Hi again,

As I pointed out, it's up to you to (did you have vetting activated?) - the only perfect way of avoiding such messages is to block your profile. I'm paying my ISP a monthly sum to operate a spam filter (which catches between 500 and 2,000 messages each day), but still, there are some messages coming through. I'm afraid the reality in electronic communications is that there is no perfect protection against unwanted messages.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:41
SITE STAFF
Helping to maintain a secure workplace for the community Jun 12, 2008

Thank you Maria Luisa for reporting this, and thanks Özden, Ralf and Enrique for providing the steps for handling unwanted email sent through profiles. Reporting these issues through the support system allows site staff to efficiently address the problem and not only helps prevent further unwanted email through your profile, but through other members' profiles as well. As Enrique indicated, the profile involved was removed as soon as staff became awa... See more
Thank you Maria Luisa for reporting this, and thanks Özden, Ralf and Enrique for providing the steps for handling unwanted email sent through profiles. Reporting these issues through the support system allows site staff to efficiently address the problem and not only helps prevent further unwanted email through your profile, but through other members' profiles as well. As Enrique indicated, the profile involved was removed as soon as staff became aware of the problem. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Maria Salud Herrero Calpena (X)
Maria Salud Herrero Calpena (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing! Jun 12, 2008

I was really surprised when I read the contents of the e-mail and to see how you got it. I got a similar one in my private e-mail some months ago. It was clearly a fraud and considered informing the police but in the end I simply ignored it. Maybe I should have done something. Yes, maybe you should submit a support request.
Good luck
Maria Salud

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
check the amount Jun 12, 2008

The amount left by the dear departed husband is usually 34 million USD in most of these scams. I think you should ask the sender to count the notes again - 16 million sounds on the low side.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
check the amount...! Jun 12, 2008

Lexical wrote:

check the amount

The amount left by the dear departed husband is usually 34 million USD in most of these scams. I think you should ask the sender to count the notes again - 16 million sounds on the low side.

It's the credit crunch - even the scammers are getting it tight these days! That did make me laugh.
... See more
Lexical wrote:

check the amount

It's the credit crunch - even the scammers are getting it tight these days! That did make me laugh.

But I wasn't aware I could vet my e-mail settings until it was pointed out on this forum...mine are set to open, and I never get anything like this (touch wood, I think I'll change them now...). I don't think I've been round even near half of this site yet.

@ Mari Luisa - I think it was unfortunate you received this e-mail, but you shouldn't dwell on it, I mean, it would take a real idiot to fall for something like this, it's got S C A M written all over it.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
One of the oldest scams in the book... Jun 12, 2008

I mean, it would take a real idiot to fall for something like this, it's got S C A M written all over it.

'fraid not - this MO (including its countless variations) is one of the oldest scams in the book. In fact, it pre-dates the e-mail era - I recall getting such messages by telex when I was working in foreign exchange trading - back in 1985. (!)

The only explanation I have is that people keep falling for it...

Cheers, Ralf

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
oldest one in the book... Jun 12, 2008

Hi Ralf,

'fraid not - this MO (including its countless variations) is one of the oldest scams in the book. In fact, it pre-dates the e-mail era - I recall getting such messages by telex when I was working in foreign exchange trading - back in 1985. (!)

I have no doubt it's an oldie, as you say. But I never came across this in my foreign exchange days; we had other scams to worry about, face-to-face ones.

However, as you say, the fact that it is still seemingly as popular as ever, can mean only one thing:

there must be an awful lot of eejits out there...in fact, with a strong pair of binoculars, you can see 'em coming from miles away.

regards,

JP.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:41
German to English
+ ...
Pre-e-mail scams... Jun 12, 2008

The good thing about those was the beautiful Nigerian postage stamps I still have

RNolder (X)
RNolder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:41
German to English
+ ...
I too received one of these too Jun 18, 2008

I received one of these in my private email too. I simply contacted the FTC and filled out a report and they are presently investigating it. Always place a support ticket if it comes through this site though! Maybe they can communicate with the FTC or other government agencies and collectively stop this type of nonsense.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nigerian scam received through profile (was: howcan this be allowed?)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »