ProZ.com homepage displays in German automatically - and I don't like it (Staff: Fixed)
Thread poster: Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 18:09
English to German
+ ...
Jun 25, 2008

When logging in at proz.com this morning, I was VERY surprised to find that the homepage suddenly and automatically - without me telling it to do so - displays in the German language version (I use, like and am used to the English language design).

What kind of "service" is that supposed to be? Reminds me of Microsoft with all their little automatic gimmicks you don't want and don't need.

After much searching, I found the little box that allows you to choose the language right at the bottom of the page. I switched the language to English, logged out, logged in again and - lo and behold! - was shown the German page again.

This is annoying, to say the least! How can you presume to know that all users in Germany want to use the German language design? PLEASE do something about it.

Ulrike
alias LittleBalu

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-25 19:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Support Request Jun 25, 2008

Ulrike,
Looks like a bug - these things happen, you know...

I have submitted a Support Request on your behalf.

Regards,
Ralf

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ralf Jun 25, 2008

That was quick! A bug? I hadn't thought of that ...
Thanks for submitting a support request on my behalf.

Ulrike

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
"Bug" still there Jun 25, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Ulrike,
Looks like a bug - these things happen, you know...

Hi Ralf,

FYI I'm encountering the same problem. I hope ProZ isn't hardwiring display language settings based on the region/keyboard settings in users' Windows installations.

I can't seem to find a switch in the ProZ settings for the display language, and like Ulrike I really, really don't want a German interface!

Robin

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Time zone Jun 25, 2008

Hi Robin,
Please remember that ProZ.com support staff are based in Argentina, and most of the developers in Syracuse, NY - I'm sure they will look into this as soon as they can, but I think they also need a few hours of sleep.

FYI I'm encountering the same problem. I hope ProZ isn't hardwiring display language settings based on the region/keyboard settings in users' Windows installations.

Not that I'm aware of.

I can't seem to find a switch in the ProZ settings for the display language, and like Ulrike I really, really don't want a German interface!

Bottom right corner on your screen, Robin (assuming that you're using the latest version of the interface).

Best regards,
Ralf

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Thank you all for your comments and concerns Jun 25, 2008

Localization of the user interface was done specifically to give ProZ.com users a choice as to what language they would like to view proz.com. We are working on a few items that will help international visitors discover proz.com. Part of that is utilizing browser language detection as RobinB indicated. You are receiving the German version of proz.com as you have selected German language settings in your web browser. If you log in to proz.com you will be able to set your language preference and as long as you are logged in that will be the language interface you will be shown. There was a bug in the code that we have fixed that may have prevented that from working properly. We are also working on a solution that will allow your proz.com user interface language preferences to be saved when users log off of the site.

Thank you

Drew

Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Drew :-) Jun 25, 2008

Dear Drew,

so it's not a bug, after all.

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Localization of the user interface was done specifically to give ProZ.com users a choice as to what language they would like to view proz.com.

That's great, and I appreciate it. But my favourite interface language is English, not German, and I don't want to be "told" what my favourite language is.

We are also working on a solution that will allow your proz.com user interface language preferences to be saved when users log off of the site.

Please do. I don't want to have to change my language settings every morning when I log in to proz.com. It spoils the fun.

Please don't think me ungrateful because I'm complaining. You're doing a great job, and proz.com is a great site!

Best wishes,
Ulrike

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Language preferrence settings should be saved while logged out now Jun 25, 2008

We have just released the other fix that will allow your language preference to be saved when logged out of proz.com

In order for this feature to work you will have to have cookies enabled. If you delete your cookies, you may be asked to select your preference again.

Thank you and please let me know if for some reason the fixes are not working properly.

Drew

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Still there... Jul 12, 2008

Dear Drew,

a few days ago I also was very astonished to see a mixed Czech-English interface when clicking on my bookmark for proz.com which so far had always pointed to the English version. Like Ulrike, I'm used to the English design and would like to have it also in the future. So, after having read this thread I changed to English, set cookie preferences to "allow site cookies" and closed the browser.

When I reopened it the Cookie Manager told me that "PHPSESSID, content a0c5ed2da97b168fd3a78d1e49781744 will expire on July 12, 2010" - but I'm still getting the Czech version. Changing the bookmark did not help either because the English site will automatically redirect me to ces.proz.com.

Is this caused by Seamonkey or maybe it happens because I don't "log off" explicitly when just closing the page or the browser?

Charlotte

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Strange... Jul 14, 2008

Charlotte Blank wrote:
Is this caused by Seamonkey or maybe it happens because I don't "log off" explicitly when just closing the page or the browser?

This is what I thought before but now I realized that it will stay English even after shutting down the PC. I just did a little test, logging off - and immediately everything changed to Czech! Logging in again - everything English

Charlotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com homepage displays in German automatically - and I don't like it (Staff: Fixed)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search