https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/110594-how_to_transfer_trados_license_to_a_new_computer.html

How to transfer TRADOS license to a new computer?
Thread poster: boostrer
boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:02
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 20, 2008

I have bought a new computer, but cannot transfer the license. How can I do this? The program is from the agency, so I am afraid of loosing their money in the case of mistake.

Thank you in advance

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:02
English to French
+ ...
license Jul 20, 2008

I do not know if this will help you. For my part I work for myself, so I bought my own licence which is on a PC, but I am only allowed to use my license on my laptop as well. I have then simply reinstalled the whole Trados program on my laptop from the SDL site. To install the licence you are offered several choices: to use a server (never been my case), to buy the licence (already done so) or use it locally from your files (as bought already). There are other times when I had to reinstall my pr... See more
I do not know if this will help you. For my part I work for myself, so I bought my own licence which is on a PC, but I am only allowed to use my license on my laptop as well. I have then simply reinstalled the whole Trados program on my laptop from the SDL site. To install the licence you are offered several choices: to use a server (never been my case), to buy the licence (already done so) or use it locally from your files (as bought already). There are other times when I had to reinstall my program and I sent myself the licence from the PC via mail or Skype, saved it on my laptop and used it. Just make sure that the TRados programs are not running at the same time on both machine as SDL in my case does not allow 2 different machines to run Trados at the same time. HOpe you can get something out of my experience as I saw no other answer to your mail so far..Regards.Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:02
Italian to English
In memoriam
It depends... Jul 20, 2008

Hi Boostrer,

You don't mention which version of Trados you are using, which is a shame because the licensing system changed.

In older versions, the licence was a text file that you could simply copy to a new computer. Nowadays if you want to move Trados, you have to visit your account on the SDL website and return the licence first. You can then install the program on a new computer and reactivate your licence online.

Obviously, the new system isn't much u
... See more
Hi Boostrer,

You don't mention which version of Trados you are using, which is a shame because the licensing system changed.

In older versions, the licence was a text file that you could simply copy to a new computer. Nowadays if you want to move Trados, you have to visit your account on the SDL website and return the licence first. You can then install the program on a new computer and reactivate your licence online.

Obviously, the new system isn't much use if for some reason you can't actually return the licence - your hard disk might have been physically damaged, for example - so SDL will give you licensing support even if you haven't got a support contract.

Stick "Licensing issue" in the subject line of your request and someone should get in touch.

Best,

Giles
Collapse

A. & S. Witte
A. & S. Witte
Germany
Local time: 14:02
German to English
+ ...
You simply write to SDL Jul 20, 2008

You tell them you have a new computer, and that the old licence key will not work any more. They will then send you a new licence key. I got a new computer last week, and they sent me a new licence key.

Astrid

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados license Jul 20, 2008

2 odile stuart , Giles Watson, AEJTrans

Thank you all! I have version 7, so I have to choose AEJTrans's advice.

Thank once again

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Careful with compatibility Jul 20, 2008

You said you have a new computer - in case it runs Vista, you will most likely need to upgrade your Trados to version 8 (SDL Trados 2007).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to transfer TRADOS license to a new computer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »