Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 1, 2003

In http://www.proz.com/topic/11487 Maya B. says in Spanish:

'Perhaps I'm stupid and asking something obvious, but is there any way, when searching in the glossary for the English term "hue", for example, I can exclude such options as "huevo"? Or if I want to find "rack", avoid having to go through "barracks", "bracket", "tracking" et cetera almost ad infinitum?
I use the ProZ glossarie
... See more
In http://www.proz.com/topic/11487 Maya B. says in Spanish:

'Perhaps I'm stupid and asking something obvious, but is there any way, when searching in the glossary for the English term "hue", for example, I can exclude such options as "huevo"? Or if I want to find "rack", avoid having to go through "barracks", "bracket", "tracking" et cetera almost ad infinitum?
I use the ProZ glossaries a lot. I find them very useful, not always for the entries in themselves, but for the discussion which each term initiates - this almost always throws light on it for me. But I sometimes find it somewhat irritating that I have not discovered how to limit the search to one whole word. I've tried quotation marks, but it doesn't work. Can anyone set me right?'

I thought it was worth entering this question here, where perhaps more expert advice can be found. I have sometimes had this problem myself.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Space is the solution Jun 3, 2003

Hi Jack

I wasn't sure when I answered, but I tried, the solution is leaving a space before and after the word you're looking for.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Jun 3, 2003

Thank you, Claudia. I saw your reply to Maya shortly after my first posting here, and have exchanged emails with her about it.
But I thought I would leave this question here anyway in case it might be useful advice for non-Spanish speakers.

Carlos Hernández
Carlos Hernández
Spain
Local time: 16:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do I search for an exact word? Apr 9, 2016

What if, after the word", there's a punctuation marck, such as a comma:
hue,

It wont appear in the search results.
I have a similar problem. I want to search for sentences containing the word "score", not "scores" or "scorer".
If I incluyde a space before an after the word " score ", it will omit, for example, sentences that start with that word, because there is no space BEFORE "score", since it is the first word.
So what's the solution?

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may use quotation marks Apr 12, 2016

Hi Carlos,

In order to search for an exact word or phrase you can use quotation marks (""). For example, you can search for the word "score" and the results will show only phrases containing that exact word. In this way, you can restrict the search results to the exact word or phrase you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Paula

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limiting Glossary Search to exact word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »